What's new

Norway to Buy Four F-35 jets

Lankan Ranger

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Norway to Buy Four F-35 jets

The political opposition has reluctantly given the Government the go-ahead to purchase four F-35 fighter bombers to be used for training purposes. However, the total cost of the F-35 program is still uncertain.

“A joint opposition supports the purchase, but we are very critical to the way the Government has handled this,” says Dagfinn Høybråten, parliamentary leader of the Christian Democrats (KrF).

Norway is to purchase a total of 56 military aircraft F-35 from the US manufacturer Lockheed Martin. The Government has insisted that it is necessary to buy four planes already now, in order to begin training of pilots and support personnel.

“The aircraft deal is completely out of control. No one knows how much the total cost of the 56 aircraft will be”, says the right wing Progress Party's spokesman for defence, Peter N. Myhre.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

The government has decided to buy 56 American fighter jets called the F35 Lightning II, also known as Joint Strike Fighter. The jets were initially believed to cost NOK 18 billion (USD 3.3 billion) with delivery from 2016 to 2023, but costs seem to be going up and contracts won’t be signed until 2014. US officials also have complained that the F35 costs are rising, and that they are unclear.

State Auditor Jørgen Kosmo, a former defense minister himself for the Labour Party, agreed to probe the fighter jet deal if that’s what a majority in Parliament now want.

The conservative Progress Party, not usually in agreement with SV, also wants a re-examination of the costs of the F35s. Other parties are also skeptical, but not sure whether they should call for a probe by Riksrevisjon. The Conservative Party (Høyre) says it would violate parliamentary practice.

Norway to Buy Four F-35 Jet Fighters

i think this was posted before, but thanks anyway!

a bit off topic but what is up with the malaysian flag?

why does Norway need such advanced fighter jets.I think Norway is in a peaceful neighbourhood.

Using such an expensive fighter jet for training purposes?
:blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink:

why does Norway need such advanced fighter jets.I think Norway is in a peaceful neighbourhood.

every country has some defence needs..
even australia, which is in the middle of no where, has a fairly strong force...

they may be bound by contract to buy certain number of planes over certain period of time.

4 F-35s for training!!? That's a bit rich coming from Scandinavia! They're wasting their money on 5th gen fighters when they have no enemy. No Soviet Union anymore, Russia is now another European country.

i understand that you think norway don't need them, but if you remember WW2 they were brutally attacked by germans! the only reason we couldn't protect the country was because the government didn't use enough money on the armed forces!

it is a well known quote in norway: never ever 9. april 1940! (the day norway was attacked by germany)

beside norway is a nato allie, and i agree they don't need such toys! sweden offered saab jas grippen to them, even a contract between them where norway could be a co-partner on it! but no, the stupid government has to buy some toys just like saudis. idiotic but still nice to see! :D

---------- Post added at 05:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:56 PM ----------

4 F-35s for training!!? That's a bit rich coming from Scandinavia! They're wasting their money on 5th gen fighters when they have no enemy. No Soviet Union anymore, Russia is now another European country.

i hope you know that norway is a very rich country, if not the richest in the world! thanks to their oil. :D

Why on earth Norway needs F-35?? They are in top 5 peaceful countries .

Thats why they are only buying 4 not 100's.

Why cant they buy ? Why shouldnt they buy? Do they have to wait for trouble to buy few?

why only 4 and not 100?

4 is like barely enough to be called a squad

why only 4 and not 100?

4 is like barely enough to be called a squad

Just to train their pilots on the new aircraft, more orders will follow soon. Probably like 30-40 will be a decent number to induct.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom