What's new

Nobel laureate's wife detained

I posted above that I am no entire unhappy that he got the Nobel prize and I stick by it for the reasons above.

I suggest you exercise your democratic rights in getting India to recognize Tibetan independence.

Thanks for your excellent suggestion - I am glad you are doing the same for the Tibetans in Canada.

Back to the topic. Okay, so he is a dissident and you think his views are anti-national - but how does that justify detaining his wife?

Thanks for your excellent suggestion - I am glad you are doing the same for the Tibetans in Canada.

Back to the topic. Okay, so he is a dissident and you think his views are anti-national - but how does that justify detaining his wife?

This isn't probably what you think. House arrest probably means a few people watching her whereabouts. The government likes to have control over volatile situations like this, once public interest blows over, she can go back to shaving her head and lambasting Chinese culture as much as she likes.

and in case you think I am some cruel bastard who hates all activists, here's one that I admire immensely because he is motivated by wanting to help Chinese workers and not just some trendy political pawn.

Han Dongfang (born 1963) has been an advocate for workers' rights in China for more than two decades during which time he has won numerous international awards including the 1993 Democracy Award from the U.S. National Endowment for Democracy.
Born in the impoverished village of Nanweiquan in Shanxi, Han first came to international prominence when, as a railway worker in Beijing, he helped set up the Beijing Autonomous Workers’ Federation (BAWF) during the Tiananmen Square protests of 1989. The BAWF was the People's Republic of China's first independent trade union, established as an alternative to the Party-controlled All-China Federation of Trade Unions.
The BAWF was disbanded after the June 4 crackdown, and Han was placed at the top of the Chinese government’s most wanted list. Han turned himself into the police (and didn't run for coshy jobs in the US like the other student leaders) and was imprisoned for 22 months without trial until he contacted tuberculosis in prison and was released in April 1991. He spent a year in the U.S. undergoing medical treatment before returning to China in August 1993. On his return, he was arrested in Guangzhou (he tried to return to China) and expelled to Hong Kong, where he still lives today.

This man is still helping exploited workers today, quietly and without being a publicity whore.

Last edited by a moderator:
This isn't probably what you think. House arrest probably means a few people watching her whereabouts. The government likes to have control over volatile situations like this, once public interest blows over, she can go back to shaving her head and lambasting Chinese culture as much as she likes.

I think it will be a big deal only if China allows it to be a big deal. If he gets the award and Chinese Govt. ignores it - then no one is going to make a big deal of it. I have never attached much importance to an award which was not given to Gandhi because of British pressure but given to Obama - lol - for what? Winning the election?

I think it will be a big deal only if China allows it to be a big deal. If he gets the award and Chinese Govt. ignores it - then no one is going to make a big deal of it. I have never attached much importance to an award which was not given to Gandhi because of British pressure but given to Obama - lol - for what? Winning the election?

On the contrary, this is an opportunity for the Chinese government to show its people what horrible hypocrites the west are. I do hope they take full advantage.

If the west can only keep up its promotion of utterly despicable people like Liu, the Chinese people would support as hard a line as the government may wish to take with the west.

she's obviously not doing too bad with her gigantic mansion in beijing. also, for those that think the government actually has censorship to prevent people from knowing our social problems, i invite you to go to the official forum of a little known newspaper called People's Daily. It's not too big, just the biggest newspaper in the world and "official mouthpiece of the communist party".

bbs1.people.com.cn

you will notice that about 60% of the articles posted there are about social issues. Here's a particularly interesting one:

http://bbs1.people.com.cn/postDetail...2&id=103625317

this is a post on the forum of People's Daily, the newspaper that has the highest readership in the world and is considered the official mouthpiece of the communist party.

"我们还可以想起习酒闻名的贵州省习水县的强迫学生卖淫,就有6名政府官员、司法干部、教师、县人大代表等 公职人员涉案。据调查发现,2007年10月到 2008年8月期间,习水县辍学学生刘某、袁某采取在学校门口守候等方式,将11名女学生带往袁某某家中, 再由袁某某联系嫖客进行嫖宿。受害者中,未满 14岁的幼女有3名,其余受害者均未满18岁。我们看到少女仍然是被某些高达贵人作为发泄兽欲的对 象!"

"We can also note that the home of famed wine, Guizhou province's Xishui county's case of schoolgirls being forced into prostitution, involving 6 government officials, judges, teachers, county representatives and other public employees. According to the investigation, 2007 october-2008 august, Xishui county high school dropouts Mr. Liu and Mr. Yuan waited at the doors of the school, brought 11 girls into the home of Mr. Yuan, and contacted clients for prostitution. Among the victims, 3 were below the age of 14; all were below the age of 18. Our girls are being used as the s* toys of corrupt fatcat officials!"

Social criticism like this will never, ever appear on an American paper, despite their politician spending millions on prostitutes and cocaine.

On the contrary, this is an opportunity for the Chinese government to show its people what horrible hypocrites the west are. I do hope they take full advantage.

If the west can only keep up its promotion of utterly despicable people like Liu, the Chinese people would support as hard a line as the government may wish to take with the west.

How can you pin the award on "the west" when it is awarded by a bunch of parliamentarians from Norway?

Well how has the news of the award been covered in western countries?

That a certain Chinese man has won the Nobel and that he is currently imprisoned. Out of sheer curiosity, what are your views on Aung San Kyi?

Well how has the news of the award been covered in western countries?

Definitely not like in China were the entire news was blacked out from the state controlled media to project the state victory and defeat of any democratic voice

Definitely not like in China were the entire news was blacked out from the state controlled media to project the state victory and defeat of any democratic voice

μұ¦Ç¿µ÷ÃñÖ÷¼à¶½£ºÖ»ÓÐÃñÖ÷²Å²»»áÈËÍöÕþÏ¢_ÍøÒ×ÐÂÎÅÖÐÐÄ

温家宝强调民主监督:只有民主才不会人亡政息
2010-02-27 16:18:02 来源: 中国网 跟贴 5191 条 手机看新闻
核心提示:27日下午,中共中央政治局常委、国务院总理温家宝与网友在线交流。温家宝说,只有民主才不会出现人亡政息。温家宝认为,公款吃喝、公车私用,公费出国,其实也关系到整个反腐败,应该也必须管得住。

中国网北京2月27日报道 中共中央政治局常委、国务院总理温家宝今天下午与广大网友在线交流时表示,必须管得住公款吃喝、公车私用等现象。中国网实时报道。

在回应网友“为什么管不住公款吃喝、公车私用”时,温家宝明确表示,应该管得住,必须管得住。

温家宝说,我们能够做到,最根本的是两条,第一条就是公开透明,就要让任何一项行政性支出都进入预算,而且公开让群众知道,接受群众监督;第二条就是民主监督。“我曾经引过在建国前毛泽东主席和黄元培先生说过的一段话解决‘其兴也勃,其亡也乎’的周期律问题,最重要的是民主,只有民主才不会出现人亡政息”。温家宝认为,公款吃喝、公车私用,公费出国,其实也关系到整个反腐败。

(本文来源:中国网 )

If you do not know, a good practice is to learn more.

μұ¦Ç¿µ÷ÃñÖ÷¼à¶½£ºÖ»ÓÐÃñÖ÷²Å²»»áÈËÍöÕþÏ¢_ÍøÒ×ÐÂÎÅÖÐÐÄ

温家宝强调民主监督:只有民主才不会人亡政息
2010-02-27 16:18:02 来源: 中国网 跟贴 5191 条 手机看新闻
核心提示:27日下午,中共中央政治局常委、国务院总理温家宝与网友在线交流。温家宝说,只有民主才不会出现人亡政息。温家宝认为,公款吃喝、公车私用,公费出国,其实也关系到整个反腐败,应该也必须管得住。

中国网北京2月27日报道 中共中央政治局常委、国务院总理温家宝今天下午与广大网友在线交流时表示,必须管得住公款吃喝、公车私用等现象。中国网实时报道。

在回应网友“为什么管不住公款吃喝、公车私用”时,温家宝明确表示,应该管得住,必须管得住。

温家宝说,我们能够做到,最根本的是两条,第一条就是公开透明,就要让任何一项行政性支出都进入预算,而且公开让群众知道,接受群众监督;第二条就是民主监督。“我曾经引过在建国前毛泽东主席和黄元培先生说过的一段话解决‘其兴也勃,其亡也乎’的周期律问题,最重要的是民主,只有民主才不会出现人亡政息”。温家宝认为,公款吃喝、公车私用,公费出国,其实也关系到整个反腐败。

(本文来源:中国网 )

Makes perfect sense.

I personally would like both of them jailed for eternity and never see the light of day again.

I personally would like both of them jailed for eternity and never see the light of day again.

We all know that they do something because the money received by the West, but the need for a law, to punish by law.

So now his wife is under house arrest? Good, I guess the Noble committee won't have trouble finding a suitable candidate for next year then.

Back
Top Bottom