What's new

No beef on menu during Commonwealth Games: Kalmadi

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Delhi Agricultural Cattle Preservation Act, 1994, prohibits the sale and storage of beef and will not allow serving of beef during the Commonwealth Games," a Delhi state government official has been quoted as saying.

Out of the 1.5 billion cows worldwide, India accounts for more than 200 million. It has nearly 90 million buffaloes.
[/B]
Read more: No Beef at Mega Sports Event in New Delhi | ISKCON News

Please read what you post. It quotes an unknown Govt. official who is probably as literate as you.

Btw you may call them if you wish.

:coffee:

ABBOTT COLD STORAGES PRIVATE LIMITED

Exporters and suppliers of frozen meat like halal meat, beef meat, boneless meat, frozen halal meat, buffalo meat, frozen boneless meat and other frozen foods.

Products/Services : buffalo meat, beef meat, boneless meat, halal meat, ...

Address: 80 MM, JANPATH, NEW DELHI - 110 001, INDIA
City :NEW DELHI Country :INDIA

Phone: +(91)-(11)-23328474/23329491 Fax: +(91)-(11)-23357554
Website: http://www.trademart.in/abbottcoldstoragesprivatelimited1.htm

I don't understand what is so much to debate about??

To Pakistani brothers and sisters..first organize a mega event like CGW in your country.. serve alcohol and pork in it ..and then ask us what din't we serve ??..why did not we serve??

Is it Only North Indian Hindus Who gets Hurt having Beef in CWG Menu?:confused: .Now We have Some States including Karnatak Who (want to) Banned Slaughtering of Cows,Buffaloes etc.Ridiculous ,I must say.(Although Ban Will Not Have any Effect on Non-Vegans :devil: )

VEGETARIAN TERRORISM!The APT Word For this(Hilarious!):
Vegetarian terrorism | Indiblog

OT:If some gets Hurt Seeing Slaughter of Animals,They can Keep Slaughter Houses to Suburbs and in seculded areas.Why Such Drastic Laws?
PS:especially the cruel method of Halal ,Where the Animal gets Most Pain and Slow death and Lot of Gore-Read Blood during Ziba-Whatever so called "scientific" justification some will give .
IMHO ,Animals Can be Killed By Hitting/Blowing on Head(BEST WAY) or by Jhatka .The Suffering too will be much less.

:P my friend had to eat in some Indian restaurants in a third country and at the end of the day had found the chickens were jhatka chickens lolzz but hey when you are hungry you have to eat anything.

and even religion allows it to remain alive in a situation where you dont find any suitable thing to eat :cheers:

If sale and storage of the beef is prohibited in Delhi under the law than how can you guys claim that you can find it in Delhi.

------------
India has said that at the Commonwealth Games mega sports meet in New Delhi in October where athletes from 71 nations are scheduled to participate, no beef will be served but instead the participants will be provided with nutritious meals and snacks.

The organizers of the meet, scheduled to be held from October 3-14, have it made it clear that no beef would be served during the mega-event, consisting of athletes from the erstwhile countries ruled by colonial Britain.

"Commonwealth Games Federation's requirement from the organizing committee is to provide to a quality 24 hour catering service offering nutritious meals and snacks to the athletes and their team officials during Commonwealth Games Delhi 2010, taking into consideration cultural dietary requirements and the need for variety and rotation of menus," the games organizers maintained.

The organizing committee is duty bound to carry this out," it said.

The slaughtering of cows is banned in most Indian states. The animal is considered sacred by India's majority Hindu community.

The Delhi Agricultural Cattle Preservation Act, 1994, prohibits the sale and storage of beef and will not allow serving of beef during the Commonwealth Games," a Delhi state government official has been quoted as saying.

The issue had first arisen some months ago when the Hindu right-wing Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) members wrote to the organizing committee chairman Suresh Kalmadi asking him to keep beef out of the menu during the Games.

The BJP-led Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) had also warned and passed a resolution against serving beef during the event. Filed

The India's Supreme Court had upheld in 2006 a ban imposed by the state government in Gujarat on the slaughter of cows.

The state imposed the ban but the Gujarat high court in 1998 said the ban was unconstitutional and violated citizens' fundamental rights. The state government then re-imposed the ban in 2003.

A seven-judge Supreme Court bench, headed by Chief Justice R C Lahoti, backed the case of the Gujarat government that the ban was in the public interest and showed compassion to living creatures.

Animal rights campaigners allege cows are mistreated in many parts of the country.

Hindu hardl-ine groups such as the Vishwa Hindu Parishad, or the World Hindu Council, say a national law will help it in its campaign against cow slaughter.

Indian historians are divided over the tradition of eating beef in India.

In a book published a few years ago on India's dietary traditions, Prof DN Jha, spoke about historical evidence of beef-eating practices in ancient India. But the eating of beef remains highly sensitive in India.

Although beef eating is banned in several parts of India, it is available in north-eastern states of the country.

Cows are venerated by the Hindus, who constitute 80 per cent of India's total population of over 1.25 billion. According to ancient Vedic scriptures they are to be treated with the same respect 'as one's mother' because of the milk they provide;

The deity Krishna was brought up in a family of cow-herders, and given the name Govinda (protector of the cows). Also Lord Shiva is traditionally said to ride on the back of a bull named Nandi..

In ancient rural India every household had a few cows which provided a constant supply of milk and a few bulls that helped as draft animals. Observant Hindus, even though they might eat meat of other animals, almost always abstain from beef, and the slaughter of cows is considered a heinous sin in mainstream Orthodox Hinduism.

Probably in a first of its kind, the fast-food giant McDonald's outlets in India serve only vegetarian, chicken or fish-burgers and have no beef on their menu..

Out of the 1.5 billion cows worldwide, India accounts for more than 200 million. It has nearly 90 million buffaloes.

Un-named?? where . Its an act. An ACT is clearly a law.

"Delhi Agricultural Cattle Preservation Act, 1994, prohibits the sale and storage of beef"

And as far as ban is concerned please read the above post, the ban is intact for Delhi.

sale and storage banned...not consumption ...

if one wants, he can buy beef from other states and eat it in Delhi...

BTW its not banned in Kerala ,west bengal and even North eastern states..

Banning Cow Slaughter in India - India Currents

Cow slaughter ban: Till the cows come home... - India - The Times of India

:pop: :pop:

I will join the Maoists if they ever ban alcohol or beef in my state for sure.

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed on this post are not authors personal views and do not reflect those of his intentions to support the maoists..

i dont much about any religion....but as far as i know there is nothing written in any hindu scripture that prohibits us from eating beef....then again i've little knowledge on this matter.......as for the menu.....we r the host ,,its up to us what we decide to serve....

incentive enough NOT to go.

no meat? common yaar!! What is this nonsense

Were you invited?

And guess Mr. Think Tank didnt read the news clearly. Its just beef thats not on the menu. Other types of meat will be served.

See the difference first before commenting.

You hate PIG so you will have no problem some one killing him.

We respect COW in our religion so we can have problem if some one hurt it.

What this we means???

India or Hindus????

Whats the big deal. I think problem is when we try to impose standards of western countries on our societies.

1. In west religion is not as integral part of life as it is in our part of the world.So whole idea of Freedom of xyz cannot be applied to our societies. Secondly Christianity happens to be the the religion which imposes practically no limitations on its followers. So one has to understand this fact that they can practice all sort of freedoms because their is no restriction on them, unlike Islam and Hinduism and many other religions.

2. Even western, who advocate all sorts of freedoms in certain cases are forced to abandon what they advocate. e.g. Holocaust,ban on burqa etc

So although due to western influence in this world, we try to judge everything on their merits but hardly anyone fulfills the the merits they have set.

So in my opinion its not a big deal. India is a Hindu majority country and its fine with me if they have banned beef for CWG.

Similarly Pakistan is a muslim majority country and hence i don't see any problem in banning alcohol (its injurious for health anyway).But i even won't have problem if a limited permission to non muslims are given to consume alcohol at specific bars. Similarly Pakistan banned FB and YouTube to prevent any violent protests.

The problem is when we try to judge others on the standard that we even don't fulfill, just for the sake ridiculing each other. Indian members here are defending this ban on pretext of respecting faith of majority but the same Indian members will start bashing Pakistan's law of banning alcohol or any other law.

P.S:I do not support all the laws enforced in Pakistan in the name of Islam.So do not bother replying with things like Ahmedis law and etc.But those are my personnal opinions and may or may not represent opinion of majority of people of pakistan.

actually for the commonwealth games, it isnt just cows snakes monkeys and other animals that roam around new delhi freely that will be forcefully migrated

it seems that a lot of beggars, side-walk dwellers and homeless labourers will be swept under the carpet. 850,000 of them to be precise

you could make a lot of beef from those cows.... and it would feed a lot of people.

step aside you vegetarians!! :lol::lol::lol:

(i really couldnt help it)

Its exclusion is not the issue but its exclusion due to threats of hindu harliners is the issue.

why a secular, govt should be so weak to bow to hardliner elements ??????

I do think they are going overboard with the ban as Beef is easily available throughout the country specially in Muslim/Christian majority places. But as someone rightfully pointed out it will be very hard to find cooks if beef being served. Anyway it's a non-issue.

I don't understand what is so much to debate about??

To Pakistani brothers and sisters..first organize a mega event like CGW in your country.. serve alcohol and pork in it ..and then ask us what din't we serve ??..why did not we serve??

:p:P:P dont get mad. When we will be able to host such a big event we will and when it happens you will be allowed to mention as many flaws of our as you can as that will give us chance to improve our management.

Till then have a nice
happy_cow_large.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom