What's new

News from Bangladesh-Updates and Discussion

No I dont want anybody to take that kind of post without prior knowledge of running anything. They must have some sort of job experience, at least for 15 years before they could be assigned to any ministry... Running a political party office could be considered within job experience but not any fresh blood to experiment with.. We dont have much time to waste...
I wonder when this country will get out of emotion and show some sort of maturity...
JUST SEE HOW OBAMA PICKED HIS CABINET
:coffee:

The US Department of Justice has moved to confiscate nearly $3 million from bank accounts in Singapore, which are allegedly linked to a bribery scandal in Bangladesh, involving Arafat Rahman Koko, younger son of former prime minister Khaleda Zia.

The justice department is seeking a forfeiture action against the accounts that are alleged to be the proceeds of a wide-ranging conspiracy to bribe public officials in Bangladesh and their family members, in connection with various public works projects, said Acting Assistant Attorney General Matthew Friedrich of the Criminal Division on Friday in Washington DC.

The forfeiture action against the funds, held by multiple account holders, was filed on Thursday in a US district court in the District of Columbia.

The complaint relates primarily to alleged bribes paid to Koko, in connection with public works projects awarded by the government of Bangladesh to Siemens AG, a German industrial conglomerate, and China Harbour Engineering Company.

The complaint said at least one payment to each of the purported consultants was paid from a US bank account.

Koko was arrested in Bangladesh along with his mother Khaleda Zia on Sept 3, 2007 after a bribery case had been filed by the country's Anti-corruption Commission (ACC). He was however later released on parole on grounds of ill health, and is now reportedly undergoing treatment in Bangkok.

The ACC on December 18 of last year disclosed that Koko has foreign currencies worth around Tk 11.43 crore deposited in a Singapore bank. With help from the Singapore government, the ACC of Bangladesh unearthed information that Koko has 20.61 lakh Singaporean dollars and 2.61 lakh US dollars.

The Singapore government also froze the account and sent necessary documents to the ACC.

According to the US justice department forfeiture complaint, the majority of funds in Koko's account are traceable to bribes allegedly received in connection with a China Harbour project for building a new mooring containment terminal in Chittagong port.

"This action shows the lengths to which the US law enforcement will go to recover the proceeds of foreign corruption including acts of bribery and money laundering," said Matthew Friedrich.

"Not only will the department, for example, prosecute companies and executives who violate the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, we will also use our forfeiture laws to recapture the illicit facilitating payments often used in such schemes."

Siemens Aktiengesellschaft (Siemens AG), a German corporation, and three of its subsidiaries pleaded guilty on December 15, 2008, to violations of and charges related to the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA).

The company will pay $800 million in criminal and civil fines after admitting it paid bribes to government officials in Argentina, Bangladesh, China, Iraq, Israel, Mexico, Nigeria, Russia, Venezuela and Vietnam.

Siemens Bangladesh admitted that between May 2001 and August 2006, it caused corrupt payments of at least $5,319,839 to be made through purported business consultants to various Bangladeshi officials in exchange for favourable treatment during the bidding process on a mobile telephone project.

According to the forfeiture complaint, the bribe payments from Siemens AG and China Harbour Engineering Company were made in US dollars, and the illicit funds flowed through financial institutions in the US, before they were deposited in the accounts in Singapore, subjecting them to the US jurisdiction.

Money laundering laws in the US cover financial transactions that flow through the country involving proceeds from foreign offences including foreign bribery and extortion.

In August 2006, the US president announced a national strategy to internationalise efforts against kleptocracy to fight high level corruption around the world.

The strategy combines policy and law enforcement tools of several federal agencies, including the departments of justice, treasury, state, and homeland security.

The case is being prosecuted by Deputy Chief Linda Samuel and Trial Attorney Frederick Reynolds of the Criminal Division's Asset Forfeiture and Money Laundering Section.

Additional assistance was provided by the Criminal Division's Office of International Affairs.

The case was investigated by FBI's Washington Field Office in cooperation with Bangladeshi law enforcement.

I know all of it..
1) Trust Bank chairman post is just symbolic. all the time Army chief holds this post. Its like President of Bangladesh is made Chancellor of every university.. Its the board of directors who runs the affairs.
2) Trust bank irregularities happened 3 mos before he took office, and a inquiry was made by Bangladesh Bank and appropriate action was taken against those who were involved on those transaction.

I hope this will clear your doubts.
About the other things you raised, I have little knowledge so I don't want to comment..

This ACC when implementing indo-US minus two formula, put Hasian and Khaleda in jail for some decesion that these ladies were symbolic to; low level decision that just pass through their offices.

Please explain why ACC chairman should not be hold up to same standard. Even Awami league leadership (Shajeda and other leaders) talked against ACC chairman dual face when it come down to him and his interim buddies.

Last edited:
I don't like sweeping remarks. A wise person never do that. I am trying to open up a discussion on a case by case basis. I have strong reservation on these three ministers with the portfolio given to them and they already started slipping. There are others who we hardly know. Few of them we know are very very good, Mr. Muhit - Finance, Mr. Ashraf-LGRD, Mrs Motia-Agro, Mr. Faruq-Trade. I believe they will deliver up to the mark.

I did not like appointing Mr. Mudasser who was Hasina's private physician. I also did not like the way Hasina picked the cabinet keeping everybody blind. We live in a open society and she should have put the matter for public debate at least within her own party. Most of them are appointed are close associates of Hasina. Are we going back to dynastic politics again?

Even in close circle of Hasina (including many Awami leaders) have reservation about Dipumoni, Bimal Biswa. Sohel Taj, Ashraf etc.

According to close circle in Sudha sadan, list of ministers were mostly picked and recommended by india and deliverd by indian HC during 2 hr long meeting right after election.

Knowing how many times Parnab had called Bangladeshi official to release a hindu criminal, I am not surprised at all. That was during interim govt.

Some may think how that is possible, then again we all dont know a lot about indian reach in our systems and govt.

One quick note about Sayed Ashraful Islam, he is son of late Awami leader Syed Nazrul Islam. Ashraful is married to a indian Gujrati women. Ashraful has dual citizenship which under bangladeshi law does not allow one to be MP.

Hasian is not in full control on how country should be governed. Awami folks like it or not those interfering marks from south block already made clear impression on policy priorities Awami league announced.

Last edited:
The Muslim Brotherhood is DEAD.Gone.
If you don't believe me tell the Arabs first to give us permanent resident visas first.

If Muslim brotherhood was alive and well today I would not have said what I did. I am saying we should unite, step-by-step, ourselves, our people, our countries, slowly but surely, to rebuild the Muslim brotherhood. It would be pointless to say this if the Muslim Ummah was already united.

Ministers patronise party criminals Says Delwar

Unb, Dhaka

BNP Secretary General Khandaker Delwar Hossain yesterday alleged that criminals belonging to the ruling party are attacking his party leaders and workers under the patronisation of responsible ministers.

“On one hand, criminals of the ruling party are carrying out attacks on BNP leaders and workers. On the other hand, the responsible ministers are patronising them,” he said in a statement.

“As a result, people fear that the country will be turned into a haven of miscreants,” he added.

The BNP secretary general expressed concern and condemned what he called continued AL terrorist attacks that started after the December 29 elections.

“Despite condemnation and protest from different quarters, Awami Legue didn't stop their criminal activities. Rather, the criminal activities are spreading day by day,” he said.

Detailing some attacks on BNP leaders and workers and their property, Delwar said: “These incidents are symptoms of establishing rule of terrorism in the country

http://www.thedailystar.net/story.php?nid=70796

If Muslim brotherhood was alive and well today I would not have said what I did. I am saying we should unite, step-by-step, ourselves, our people, our countries, slowly but surely, to rebuild the Muslim brotherhood. It would be pointless to say this if the Muslim Ummah was already united.

Bangladesh is a country that holds secularism in high regard.There are 10% Hindus as well.Does it mean that when we address bangladesh...we should actually think about the 10%?having a secular outlook for bangladesh is best...muslim hindu...they will all contribute with great zeal...you draw religious lines...you slow down as a country.

Agreed. I am also for the Muslim brotherhood. We can not give up just because we screwed up in the past. Pakistan and Bangladesh already enjoy good relation but more improvement needed. There should be more cooperation in the area of Economy, education, people to people contact and Defense. :cheers::cheers:

This ACC when implementing indo-US minus two formula, put Hasian and Khaleda in jail for some decesion that these ladies were symbolic to; low level decision that just pass through their offices.

Please explain why ACC chairman should not be hold up to same standard. Even Awami league leadership (Shajeda and other leaders) talked against ACC chairman dual face when it come down to him and his interim buddies.
And who cares about Sajeda.. she is a corrupt basted.. Did police arrest her son yet???

I am still for minus Two... and strong advocate of how we could get rid of these :guns: two devil out of BD politics...
I will back ACC chairman for doing this anytme.. :cheers:

Last edited:
Even in close circle of Hasina (including many Awami leaders) have reservation about Dipumoni, Bimal Biswa. Sohel Taj, Ashraf etc.

According to close circle in Sudha sadan, list of ministers were mostly picked and recommended by india and deliverd by indian HC during 2 hr long meeting right after election.

Knowing how many times Parnab had called Bangladeshi official to release a hindu criminal, I am not surprised at all. That was during interim govt.

Some may think how that is possible, then again we all dont know a lot about indian reach in our systems and govt.

One quick note about Sayed Ashraful Islam, he is son of late Awami leader Syed Nazrul Islam. Ashraful is married to a indian Gujrati women. Ashraful has dual citizenship which under bangladeshi law does not allow one to be MP.

Hasian is not in full control on how country should be governed. Awami folks like it or not those interfering marks from south block already made clear impression on policy priorities Awami league announced.

Could you provide some source for these information. These are serious allegation and we need to talk to a lawyer regarding these two issues.. I am for it if you could come up with some real solid evidence..

Last edited:
BCL factions fight at Dhaka College

Dhaka, Jan 11 (bdnews24.com) – Three factions of pro-Awami League Bangladesh Chhatra League clashed over control of a hall at Dhaka College late on Saturday, a day after the home minister warned against campus violence.

Officer in charge of New Market Police Station, Anisur Rahman, told bdnews24.com at 12:15am on Sunday the fight left 15 injured.

Many general students left the hall amid the fight, which took place less than 48 hours into the clashes at Ziaur Rahman Hall of Dhaka University between two BCL camps on Thursday night.

Senior police officials of Ramna Zone brought the situation under control with the help of teachers and the fight that had started at 10pm ended at 1am.

On Friday, Sahara Khatun, the home minister, warned that "nobody will be spared" if involved in campus violence.

Rahman said students of 'North' and 'South' halls hurled stones at each other after a hand-to-hand fight. Some general students were also wounded in the incident.

At round 8pm, activists loyal to 'Titu' scuffled with followers of 'Tareq' over the allotment of room 207 of 'North Hostel'.

The supporters of 'Tareq' stormed and took control of 'South Hostel' around 10pm, prompting the other two groups to fight that group for control.

Some homemade bombs were exploded during the clash.

The general secretary of BCL's Dhaka College unit, Tutul, who gave only one name, said Some activists of the metropolitan Chhatra League and others who recently joined Chhatra League from other parties had made the campus restive.

"Though we called police in the evening, they came after 10pm. The incident could have been averted had they arrived on time" he said, an allegation the police officer denied.

Heavy police presence was there on the campus.

BCL factions fight at Dhaka College :: Education :: bdnews24.com ::

I am still for minus Two... and strong advocate of how we could get rid of these :guns: two devil out of BD politics...
I will back ACC chairman for doing this anytme.. :cheers:

That explains your motive and dancing to indian tune....no more comments necessary

Bangladesh is a country that holds secularism in high regard.There are 10% Hindus as well.Does it mean that when we address bangladesh...we should actually think about the 10%?having a secular outlook for bangladesh is best...muslim hindu...they will all contribute with great zeal...you draw religious lines...you slow down as a country.

aha you advocate secularism to impose hindu minority wishes over majority. But when comes to majority wishes you advocate to look the other way. Aren't you hypocrite the GREAT!!!! Clever ploy but not so fast.....

There are couple of things you need to know.

One, Islam is a religion of peace and inclusion. Bangladeshi people are and had been accommodating to others; be that fellow Muslim, Hindus or Christians or Budist. That's why Bangladesh suffers virtually no communal tension.

Two, Bangladesh and Bangladeshis can decide what best for Bangladesh and SHOULD NOT be indian decision.

BNP's Mahbub wins Noakhali-1

How come BNP (4 party alliance) candidate won this seat with huge margin? Some people thought Bangladeshi rejected pro-islamic(4 party alliance) party and all become supporter of Awami dalal but this seat prove otherwish. Either people of bd realizing the real faces of Awami dalal or dec 29election were rigged. I think it was combination of both.

Mon, Jan 12th, 2009 10:16 pm BdST

Noakhali, Jan 12 (bdnews24.com) – BNP's Mahabub Uddin Khokan bagged the Noakhali-1 seat in Monday's election, beating the AL candidate by nearly 24,000 votes.

Results from the constituency's 105 polling centres showed Mahbub polled 1,04,726 votes, while HM Ibrahim of Awami League secured 80,981 votes.

Noakhali deputy commissioner Abdus Salam read out the signed results to reporters before handing them over.

"Voting was held peacefully with no untoward incidents from 8am to 4pm," returning officer M Abdul Haque said.

Polling centres in Noakhali-1 (Chatkhil-Sonaimuri) saw long queues of people ignoring chilly weather from morning, and peaceful voting through the day in the seat's deferred election.

Eight candidates took part, in the constituency of 247,407 enrolled voters.

The Noakhali-1 vote was deferred after the death of one of the candidates -- Gonotantree Party president and grand alliance nominee Nurul Islam -- just days before the Dec 29 general elections.

Police, Bangladesh Rifles and Rapid Action Batallion were deployed across the constituency from early morning until ballot counting was complete.

BNP nominees have won the seat four times, long known as a BNP stronghold. The Awami League won it twice.

bdnews24.com/corr/mt/rah/2215hours

BNP's Mahbub wins Noakhali-1 :: Politics :: bdnews24.com ::

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom