What's new

Navy keen on weaponised Dhruv

Arey lekin bhaisaab, formation flying, display flying toh LCH kab se karraha hai! Nothing new in that.

First TD-3 must fly, then TD-1/2 must commence weapon-firing trials, which will span easily 6 months,
until LCH is cleared for weapon delivery, it can't be shown bombing targets in any exercise, display or air show.

And Iron Fist will start on Feb 15, thats just 3 days away. There's no chance LCH will be spotted doing
anything that it hasn't done already.

I am not saying anything :) I am just pointing to the article. I have no idea about its validity. So lets better wait and see.

Are you talking about LCH? Dhruv/Rudra has no stub wings. Just sponsons which house the landing gear.
Yes, the Dhruv/Rudra can fit in the Hangars of IN Destroyers and Frigates.
I believe he is talking of the weapon mounts on the ALH-WSI. I doubt whether these are foldable so HAL would have to come up with a solution to enble the ALH-WSI to be stowed on navy vessels.

I believe he is talking of the weapon mounts on the ALH-WSI. I doubt whether these are foldable so HAL would have to come up with a solution to enble the ALH-WSI to be stowed on navy vessels.

First of all they are bolted add-ons. Secondly they are not likely to be an issue as they are on the Destroyers/Frigates in my view. The Hangars are likely to accomodate them. Though one can check out the respective dimensions.

It seems like the IN were most impressed by the ALH-WSI's FLIR/EO pod. As stated the IN's interest seems to be mainly in shore-based surveillance as such I expect the IN will fly MK.4s that have the full sensor suite of the WSI but minus the weapons- maybe the cannon will be kept, but realistically for this task the IN has zero utility in rockets,A2A misses or ATGMs.

Whilst the ICG has a need for an interdiction helo that can fit a MG out one side and will also be deplyed with an ICG sniper. Look up the USCG's Eurocopter HH-65 Dolphin and see the roles the USCG use this bird in for comparison.

All in all a good development for sure. This news could be a stepping stone for full ALH-WSI (weapons and all) being embarked on the future LPD/LHD of the IN to support their new Marine infantry brigades.

Interesting times.............
no but i've seen on television that the sirhorsky helicopter,used by the US navy for muliti-role purposes, carry the hell-fire missiles to be used against smaller ships.so, IN can also use the helina for rudra

no but i've seen on television that the sirhorsky helicopter,used by the US navy for muliti-role purposes, carry the hell-fire missiles to be used against smaller ships.so, IN can also use the helina for rudra

This is true but looking at the article it appears as though the IN is interested in the MK.4's surveillance capabilities for shore based patrol missions right now. The weapons on the WSI is not what the IN seems to be all that interested in right now. Yes, down the road the IN can look at having fully armed ALH-WSI embarked on their ships but that is not what this proposal is asking for.

Good article :tup:

But there is no news on LCH in past few months and the article itself mention nothing new.
It's same thing that came out in 2010/11. So what's the problem ??? Are we stuck somewhere ???
So basic question being is LCH project in cold storage since last few years ???
I would glad to be wrong if Iron fist say otherwise :D

The third prototype(TD-3) will come out in the end of 2013 or beginning of 2014. They are testing the living **** out of TD-1 and 2.. Making changes(as you can see from pics) to TD 1 n 2. TD-3 will be identical to the LSP and production models.

Several things,

ICG doesn't need an armed helicopter, but a SAR helicopter with sufficient range and payload and just like IN, they rejected more naval Dhruvs, partially for this reasons.
The article suggest that IN would use Rudras from shore bases for costal defence, which includes search and destroy possible intruders on smaller boats for example. Operation on naval vessels or ASW won't be requirements, just like they would use other types (most likely foreign) for SAR operations. So the number of Dhruvs they might procure is very limited too.
It seems more and more that IN prefers LDPs not LHDs, which again rules out Rudras, or LCH at all, because the limited hangar space must be used for utility helicopters.

So all in all, the numbers and roles for the naval forces will remain limited and it would make more sense to to simply modify the available naval Dhruvs with a boom for weapons and a nose mounted FLIR, since they won't be used for operations on naval vessels as well.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom