What's new

Naval LCA Set to launch on july 6

baker

Reaction score
`
The first Naval prototype (NP1) of the Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) being developed by the Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA) in partnership with Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL), is set for launch on July 6 this year.

The Naval version of the LCA (Navy) capable of operation from an aircraft carrier, is touted as the only carrier borne aircraft in the light category, which can be deployed in various operational role equipment like the beyond visual range (BVR) missile, anti shipping missiles, conventional bombs, air defence guns and drop tanks.

According to a statement from Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), Chief of the Naval Staff, Admiral Nirmal Verma would be the Chief Guest at the function to mark the ‘Roll-Out’ of LCA, post which the aircraft will be ready to undergo various system integration tests including ground runs, taxi trial and flight.

“The event ‘Roll-Out’ is a significant milestone when the aircraft is brought out of the HAL’s Aircraft Research and Development Centre (ARDC) design hangar (where the aircraft is actually assembled part by part), and is now ready to undergo the phase of systems integration tests leading to ground runs, taxi trials and flight,” it said.

The LCA (Navy) is the first indigenous effort to build a complete ‘air element’ for the Indian Navy. The aircraft would be flying with the GE-F-404-IN20 engine, and is specifically designed for ski jump take off and arrested landing, with high landing loads compared to its Air Force counterpart.

“The main aim of LCA (Navy) NP1 and its Fighter counterpart (NP2) is to prove itself with its technologies incorporated as a formidable platform to be a suitable replacement to the ageing fleet of Sea Harriers at a later date in a derivative MK2 configuration with a higher thrust engine and optimised mass”, the statement said.

Great Going HAL

Last edited:
Great news. will wait till July6. Any idea where these will be based in??

Great news. will wait till July6. Any idea where these will be based in??

The first Navy version of the Light Combat Aircraft, the LCA (Navy) NP1, the most important stage in the prestigious Naval Programme of Aeronautical Development Agency, is scheduled for roll-out from HAL ARDC design hangar on July 6.

In goa, if I'm not wrong. I believe even some of our current harrier groups are based there.

In goa, if I'm not wrong. I believe even some of our current harrier groups are based there.

That was the answer i was looking for.

But my guess is Vishakapattanam , the new naval base.

Pleased to hear the news. But where are they going to be placed????? I mean which carrier or base will they be stationed at???????

I pray this venture goes hassle-free. If all divisions of the armed force of India and the government support this and all other projects whole-heartedly, it won't take us more than a decade to be completely self-sufficient in terms of defense equipments.

An image of its model:-
LCA3.jpg

lca-navy.jpg

lca_navy_1.jpg

DSC01775-732988.JPG

Indoor-LCA-Navy.jpg

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/media/3948-3/lca-navy.jpg

^:smitten::yahoo:

Last edited:
No it is in Goa. Our carrier base is in Goa including those new Mig 29k
The plans for the new base seems to have extensive facilities for carrier ops. Besides I think in goa we're using quite a bit of the civilian airport infra to support the navy. The new base will be fully dedicated to the navy.

I was wrong it is Goa indeed

LCA's Naval version set for launch

LCA's Naval version set for launch

BS Reporter / Chennai/ Bangalore June 25, 2010, 0:00 IST

The first Naval prototype (NP1) of the Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) being developed by the Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA) in partnership with Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL), is set for launch on July 6 this year.

The Naval version of the LCA (Navy) capable of operation from an aircraft carrier, is touted as the only carrier borne aircraft in the light category, which can be deployed in various operational role equipment like the beyond visual range (BVR) missile, anti shipping missiles, conventional bombs, air defence guns and drop tanks.

According to a statement from Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), Chief of the Naval Staff, Admiral Nirmal Verma would be the Chief Guest at the function to mark the ‘Roll-Out’ of LCA, post which the aircraft will be ready to undergo various system integration tests including ground runs, taxi trial and flight.
“The event ‘Roll-Out’ is a significant milestone when the aircraft is brought out of the HAL’s Aircraft Research and Development Centre (ARDC) design hangar (where the aircraft is actually assembled part by part), and is now ready to undergo the phase of systems integration tests leading to ground runs, taxi trials and flight,” it said.

The LCA (Navy) is the first indigenous effort to build a complete ‘air element’ for the Indian Navy. The aircraft would be flying with the GE-F-404-IN20 engine, and is specifically designed for ski jump take off and arrested landing, with high landing loads compared to its Air Force counterpart.

“The main aim of LCA (Navy) NP1 and its Fighter counterpart (NP2) is to prove itself with its technologies incorporated as a formidable platform to be a suitable replacement to the ageing fleet of Sea Harriers at a later date in a derivative MK2 configuration with a higher thrust engine and optimised mass”, the statement said.

This aircraft, with considerable technology and punch for years to come, is being designed to operate from the future indigenous aircraft carriers the Navy plans to acquire.

In 2003, the government accorded the formal sanction to start the Naval version of the LCA, which aim at replacing the MiG series of aircraft currently operated by the IAF.

The first stage of development includes design and fabrication of one Trainer and one Fighter, NP1 and NP2 respectively, along with a shore based test facility (SBTF) at Goa, to simulate carrier take off and arrested landing.

A complete airframe called Structural Test Specimen required for structural testing is also being tested as part of the programme.

Back
Top Bottom