What's new

Naval guards: India moves to downgrade diplomatic ties with Italy

Nobody takes you seriously on that reddened part.

In any case, NATO will NOT go to war with India for this. We both know that. You are simply trying to provide comic relief on the thread, so please continue.

How would an Indian know whether NATO would back Italy for war against India or not? Don't be so sure of that. In any case, we all know India doesn't have the ball to hold the Italian hostage, as we all know what that would lead.

italian envoy itself endorsed for the guaranteed return of the Marines... which means him self submitted to Apex.... Italy is a mess... a shame less country which can't keep her own word... that is a big shame for them.... Italy need us more than we need them.... and this guy fast is a chinese troll? Why USA and NATO involved in this matter and attack India.... EU country France itself didn't commented on this issue...

Sure, I agree. India does have leverage but is India prepared to use it? I am interested to see how this plays out.

"NATO decided that, if it is determined that the attack ... was directed from abroad, it shall be regarded as an action covered by Article 5"

Attacking a diplomat abroad is attacking the origin country. NATO will back Italy. If things escalated to a point, we will nuke India.

lol you are funny, chinese member... NATO is not a joke to go for a war with a country like India for this issue.... either you are kid or you gone nuts to think like that...

"NATO decided that, if it is determined that the attack ... was directed from abroad, it shall be regarded as an action covered by Article 5"

Attacking a diplomat abroad is attacking the origin country. NATO will back Italy. If things escalated to a point, we will nuke India.

lol you are funny, chinese member... NATO is not a joke to go for a war with a country like India for this issue.... either you are kid or you gone nuts to think like that...

Sure, I agree. India does have leverage but is India prepared to use it? I am interested to see how this plays out.

Even i am interested but i doubt that there will be any serious actions from India... if not now but in future Italy will face the consequence.... this turning into political and also Italians insulted Apex court of India..... It won't be easy walk for them.... for sure....

Italian marines case: Envoy can be sent to jail, says Harish Salve

Italian marines case: Envoy can be sent to jail, says Harish Salve

Former counsel for the Italian marines in the Kerala fishermen killings case, Harish Salve has said that there is no legal bar or immunity to the Italian ambassador, Daniel Mancini, from being arrested by the Supreme Court.

The Italian envoy had assured the apex court that the marines would return from Italy after partaking in the elections there, to face trial in Kerala. However, Italy refused to send the duo back.

Salve was speaking to Karan Thapar on Devil's Advocate. Below is the full transcript of the interview.

The former counsel for the marines in the Kerala fishermen killings case said that the Italian envoy had breached an undertaking given to the SC.

Karan Thapar: The reason why the court understood the frustration of the Italians, particularly the marines who had been detained without really facing charges, without a court to try them, the government delaying setting up the court and therefore when they were being held here, one didn't know what their status was. If the court could understand all of that in February, might that understanding not apply now?

Harish Salve: It is said in the law that even an injunction or undertaking to a court which has no jurisdiction, if breached, you are in contempt.

Karan Thapar: So the real problem is that the Italian ambassador breached a solemn undertaking and he is in contempt of the court and he will find it very hard explain, leave aside satisfy the court, why he breached a solemn undertaking.

Harish Salve: Absolutely.

Karan Thapar: Will the court take action against him?

Harish Salve: They will. We have to wait and see.

Karan Thapar: Whatever that action is by your interpretaion of the situation, it is enforceable. Enforcing it won't be a breach of vienna Convention.

Harish Salve: Our Constitution commands everybody will act in aid and directions of the Supreme Court.

Karan Thapar: Very quickly, could then the Italian ambassador end up in jail?

Harish Salve: Theoretically, yes.

Karan Thapar: But in practical likelihood?

Harish Salve: Depends on how they want to deal with him. But they can if they want to send him to jail.

Even i am interested but i doubt that there will be any serious actions from India... if not now but in future Italy will face the consequence.... this turning into political and also Italians insulted Apex court of India..... It won't be easy walk for them.... for sure....

It is not about balls, but the consequences of killing millions or people and the radiation of the nuke will put US in a difficult position as super power.... attacking India with nukes is like starting 3rd world war.....

I know. I was just replying him in his own way.

My country is US and we are part of NATO and we will stand behind our ally. Attacking diplomatic immunity and holding our ally's diplomat hostage are very serious offense, and if things escalated to that point, we will nuke you. Go ahead, take hostage of that Italian diplomat and we'll see what happen.

So, the Italian diplomat gets to die in nuclear bombing :omghaha:

Sure afterall, the US Govt and NATO give extreme importance to ravings of false-flag, inferiority complex ridden posters on the internet :D

On a serious note, the most likely intervention by NATO or US will be such that the situation doesn't escalate as it impacts the Anti-piracy mission in the Indian Ocean Region.

Completely scripted BS. You guys think this is for real? Come on, wake up. Its so obvious, this is planned. How long do you think this go on for? Watch it wil work out to Italy's favor. The case will go to International court and the judgement will be to pay some half *** fine. What a bunch of f-ing idiots. Churchill was right.

India is helpless here, they cannot do anything to Italy. What exactly is India going to do?

Its a matter of Supreme Court. I don't think India is going to accept this offer.

If any deal is to be materialized.......... then i think, India will demand marines to be returned. and once they return, maybe the case will be transferred to International court.

Of course both sides are adamant, and Italy's snub of the Indian SC is stupid, but both sides will have to deescalate and compromise eventually.

Of course both sides are adamant, and Italy's snub of the Indian SC is stupid, but both sides will have to deescalate and compromise eventually.

See, here's the rub. As far as GoI is concerned, escalating things would a sort of compromise towards another section of people - their own electorate. If they make some compromise with Italy, that would be tantamount to inviting war on the home front, from an electoral point of view. The congress led govt is caught between a rock and a hard place here. I don't know how far they can escalate this matter internationally, but if they don't do it, then they would be escalating their own troubles at home. They must be asking god why it had to be Italians on that ship, and not any other countrymen. The congress led govt simply cannot afford to be seen to be in cahoots with Italy. Now who would they rather make concessions to? Italy, or their own electorate back home? In the general elections of 2014, who do you think the congress party will ask for votes from? The Italians, or their people back home, especially in Kerala?

Another issue is this. As far as "India" is concerned, there is another dispute that has arisen - between the Supreme court of India and the Italian ambassador. That is not an issue on which the GoI can compromise on or interfere in any way, because they have no authority to override the supreme court. If the supreme court orders the Italian ambassador to be taken into judicial custody and tried for contempt, the GoI cannot do anything to prevent it. The judiciary functions independent of the central government, and no government has had the audacity to challenge the fiercely guarded independence of the judiciary, and it won't happen for the sake of the Italian ambassador. That dude made a blunder by signing and submitting his affidavit to the supreme court, because now he has no right to argue that the supreme court of India does not have jurisdiction over him. The SC is in no mood to entertain that notion, because of that act of his.

So while the GoI may have no choice but to eventually compromise in some way on the marines' case (like agreeing to try them in Italy or in the ICJ), they would be doing so at great peril to their electoral prospects at home. And secondly, they are in no position to offer any concession toward the Italian ambassador and its diplomatic mission, because they submitted voluntarily to the authority of the Indian judiciary.

What will India do if Italy refuse to return back the marines? (Worst case scenario?)

home front, from an electoral point of view.

It all depends on how it is managed in the media. I agree that the other party being Italy is a particularly unfortunate piece of coincidence for Congress, but the escalation -- and deescalation -- can be portrayed in the context of India's long term interests and maturity as an international power.

If played properly (and it will take a LOT of skill), this can actually backfire on the BJP and make them look parochial and incompetent in matters of international diplomacy. As India gains clout around the world and expects to play a major role on the international scene, one of the skills demanded from any national government will be their aptitude in managing international relations.

there is another dispute that has arisen - between the Supreme court of India and the Italian ambassador.

The SC doesn't live in a vacuum. It, too, will take note of India's long term interests and find a compromise.

Pre-election stunt by indian politicians.

But interesting development nonetheless

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom