What's new

NATO tankers set to fire in Pakistan after attack

End result--Kills 'good' guys.
Ohh, Drone is the best weapon we can have--How many innocent lives have been claimed by it?

Ohh, no one is innocent in the hills as they support 'bad' guys--Wipe out the population.
^^For real???

I am not for a moment suggesting that we shrug off the deaths of our civilians. In fact, I remember suggesting in this very forum that we should maintain a registry of civilian deaths by drone attacks and all other forms of terrorism.

Not a single person killed as collateral damage will be forgotten. We should always remember their names and promise NATO that it will be held accountable for every single death.

Lets be calm and ride out this horrid klepto-politics of Pakistani political parties -

I am less sanguine about the future of Pakistani politics. As I have stated elsewhere, there is enough blame to go around for all sides in this matter.

Throughout Pakistan's history, there has been a tacit understanding between the oligarchy, the military and the ordinary civilian. The oligarchs take turns plundering the country, while the military makes sure its own are taken care of and leaves the oligarchy alone for the most part. The ordinary civilian, for his part, complains loudly but also gets to pay little or no tax while piling up personal wealth.

The military has had several chances at the helm already and it is abundantly clear they have no interest in land reforms, tax reforms or any kind of long term plan for Pakistan. As soon as they leave, the country goes back to square one. Strictly speaking, it is neither their training, nor their responsibility, but then who is going to take on the oligarchs? The answer is 'nobody'. The charade of rotating chairs will continue and every Pakistani who has the means is already working on plan B -- to get the h*ll out.

"The military has had several chances at the helm already and it is abundantly clear they have no interest in land reforms, tax reforms or any kind of long term plan for Pakistan. Strictly speaking, it is neither their training, nor their responsibility, but then who is going to take on the oligarchs? The answer is 'nobody'. The charade of rotating chairs will continue and every Pakistani who has the means is already working on plan B -- to get the h*ll out."

A rubber bullet on the chest.

Good work bro!
:tup:

Developereo--Can you please explain me one thing since I am confused about it.

Why did the charismatic commando went to the U.S. if he knew that the U.S. stabbed him right on the heart as Muse is suggesting?

I mean if he was a true visionary and a patriot--wouldn't he be living in another country?
Not to mention, his son lived there.

If your dog attacks me--Do you think that I will go in front of him AGAIN?

The military has had several chances at the helm already and it is abundantly clear they have no interest in land reforms, tax reforms or any kind of long term plan for Pakistan.

I think you are not being fair to what was achieved during the Musharraf regime with regard to tax collection, with regard to doubling the economy, more than doubling the GDP -

but you are right about plan B.

Developereo--Can you please explain me one thing since I am confused about it.

Why did the charismatic commando went to the U.S. if he knew that the U.S. stabbed him right on the heart as Muse is suggesting?

I mean if he was a true visionary and a patriot--wouldn't he be living in another country?
Not to mention, his son lived there.

If your dog attacks me--Do you think that I will go in front of him AGAIN?

I really don't follow Pakistani politics to the level that I would try to second guess Musharraf's personal decisions. I am neither pro- nor anti-Musharraf. He did some good things and some bad things.

I think you are not being fair to what was achieved during the Musharraf regime with regard to tax collection, with regard to doubling the economy, more than doubling the GDP -

But that's no way to run a country -- at gun point. As soon as the gun went away, the crooks came out to play, and the country slid back in the dumps.

My whole point is that the military does not institute fundamental, long term reforms, because they don't dare to, or want to, challenge the oligarchs.

Ok lets get back to the topic - as I suggested Pakistan government is being insincere with the people, it's playing a game - it will not allow this or any other NATO outrage to have a negative effect on the PPP government:

Petraeus calls Kayani, regrets strikes
By Baqir Sajjad Syed
Saturday, 02 Oct, 2010

ISLAMABAD: As fury mounted over this week’s aerial incursions into the tribal areas, the commander of US-led forces in Afghanistan regretted on Friday the Nato strike that killed three Pakistani troops the previous day.

“International Security Assistance Force (Isaf) Commander Gen Petraeus called (army chief) Gen Kayani and expressed his sincere regrets over the death of Pakistani soldiers,” US military spokesman in Pakistan Lt-Col Patrick Ryder told Dawn.

The three troops were killed in an early morning raid on Thursday when Nato choppers fired at a Pakistani military post 200 metres inside the border in Kurram Agency.

This was the fourth aerial violation in less than a week, but the first in which soldiers were killed. Reacting to the incident, Pakistan partially shut down a Nato supply route and lodged a protest with the Nato command in Brussels, demanding an apology.

Col Ryder further said the US remained committed to sharing all information related to the incident with Pakistan military as part of efforts to investigate the incident.

The chairman of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff, Admiral Mike Mullen, had also spoken to Gen Kayani after the earlier strikes over the weekend.

Pakistani military commanders confirmed that high-level contacts were taking place to defuse the rising tensions. “Both sides are communicating and conveying their positions,” an official said.

The contacts clearly helped lower the flaring tempers in Pakistan. Sources said Nato supplies would be restored after things cleared up.

Long-term suspension of supplies was not expected either because neither Islamabad nor Washington could afford deterioration in their relations at this particular stage when the western forces’ campaign in Afghanistan was passing through a crucial phase.

About 80 per cent of Nato’s supplies transit through Pakistan, which is the most convenient route for its troops.It is believed that the temporary stoppage was meant to remind Washington how much it depended on Pakistan for sustaining the military operations in Afghanistan.

“There was no closing of Khyber Pass route as such. The movement of the convoys was stopped temporarily in view of growing resentment over the aerial attacks and the resulting threat to their security,” an official said in a clearly rehashed position on holding up of supplies.

An attack on oil tankers carrying Nato fuel in Shikarpur, analysts said, was just an indication of what could happen if Pakistan were to stop providing security to the convoys.

Nato fuel convoys are normally given security cover, but these vehicles appeared to be travelling undefended, probably because of withdrawn security.

In a previous such incident in 2008, US F-15 jet fighters and a B-1 bomber dropped bombs on a Frontier Corps border checkpoint. Eleven soldiers were killed in the incident, which led to an exchange of fire between US and Pakistani forces.

Interesting observation. Inspite of numerous other drone attacks where militants are killed, such a response is rare. But immediately when NATO breached IB in hot pursuit, causing collateral damage, supposedly, to PA, NATO trucks are burned that too in an area where such incidents seldom happen.

IIRC, last time such an incident occurred (intrusion), it was followed by a major attack on NATO trucks. No?

Complicity?

We really don't mind if talibs are killed!
but soldiers, is taking it toooooo far!

The US military takes orders from the civilian government. Obama needs to apologize not Petraeus, and he needs to put it in an official statement that this won't happen again - declare it US policy. That is the very minimum that the US can do, Pakistan can also demand the person's responsible for ordering the hit on Pakistani soldiers and trying them in Pakistan for murder but as the very least they can do, is make Obama give his word publicly that this won't happen again.

Also its high time, the drone strikes end as well. You can't outsource your national security to the US.

burn them wherever u find them ... Time to get tough with thugs ... Their dollars don't help common Pakistanis anyway . If they kill our citizens (read: innocent until proven guilty) if we can't kill them we must atleast make their life miserable .

Agreed --
:sniper:

why doesnt pak army doesnt retaliate by killing ome americans as well, is it justified for americans to kill a pakistani soldier, is pak soldier worth that little to americans, atleast americans should be brought to court and face the justice for what they have done!

The US military takes orders from the civilian government. Obama needs to apologize not Petraeus, and he needs to put it in an official statement that this won't happen again - declare it US policy. That is the very minimum that the US can do, Pakistan can also demand the person's responsible for ordering the hit on Pakistani soldiers and trying them in Pakistan for murder but as the very least they can do, is make Obama give his word publicly that this won't happen again.

Also its high time, the drone strikes end as well. You can't outsource your national security to the US.

seems to be through this article, Petraeus didnt apologize at all, he just regretted what happened

Imagine- Kayani, the people's army guy: "I think it's damn right time that we pull out of your war on terror!"

Back
Top Bottom