What's new

Naswar Corner

Status
Not open for further replies.
- double post - :hitwall:

dekha jhoot bol rahey hona abt drinking etc so in haste u r bound to do mistakes like double posting:P

why shivering when lying around it?:bad:

Kisseiii nahinnn aatiiii ? I'd decapitate him here & now ! :angry: :butcher:

Okay kiddo you've had your fun now where is my Apple Pie ? :angry:

Apple Pie or Skull Pie? skull of Seiko!:bunny:
kids-cute-11.jpg

@seiko

and Armstrong will be happy eating a pie with an empty skull and pinch of salt and pepper,he just want a pie whether empty or full;)

He likes empty things like Empty Skull Empty bottle of Alcohol:bad::chilli::chilli:

yuk yuk!:argh:

Last edited by a moderator:
It was a genuine question :frown:

It was a joke ! :cray:

Okay genuine answer : One of three reasons :

(1) They might be illiterate altogether which means that their command over a language is rudimentary at best & that too limited to their Mother Tongues (Pashto, Punjbai, Barahui etc.) & their know-how of the Urdu Language doesn't extend beyond its importance as our 'lingua franca' which is to say they can't appreciate some of the finer points of the Urdu Language, its literature & history but thats probably true also for their own mother tongues. An illiterate Punjabi may have heard about Bulleh Shah but he may or may not be able to recite more than a single couplet of his & that isn't a given..its a rarity.

(2) Regrettably amongst the educated elites a mixture of Urdu & English is the mode of communication where, regrettably still, neither language reaches its true potential & often one gets neglected in favor of the other; often a times the neglected language is 'Urdu' whereby a deeper appreciation of how rich & beautiful this language is never develops due to a lack of exposure to even the literary featherweights, never mind the juggernauts, of this language.

(3) Urdu is looked down upon as being 'backward' & being bad in Urdu is seen as a 'good thing'. Conversely being proficient in English is class, modernity & progress epitomized. In time Urdu looses its significance & takes a back-seat to English as the former being the mode of communication used to talk to 'domestic helpers' or the 'vendor' at the kiosk by the corner, whilst the latter sees us twisting & turning our faces in the most unnatural ways possible just so we can imitate more of that vaunted British or American accent because thats what 'civility', 'modernity' & 'progress' is all about.

I confess that I fall in the 2nd & 3rd Category of People & throughout my childhood, despite my Parents & Grandparents being very proficient & appreciative of Urdu, I concentrated solely on English with more than a touch of contempt for Urdu, till about 4-5 years ago when I started loathing myself with such intensity that I felt compelled to change myself. Now I'm not proficient in Urdu but I love it & appreciate it for what it is - One of the Greatest Languages of the World & one which in a literary & phonetic sense is vastly superior to English. My thoughts are the same when it comes to Punjabi & our other Local Languages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom