What's new

My vote for Olympics: 2016 Rio, 2020 Delhi

Reaction score
The current runner-ups for the 2016 Olympic Games are:

Rio de Janiero, Brazil
Tokyo, Japan
Chicago, USA

My vote is for Brazil because they are a up-and-coming world player (BRIC). Also they represent South America which has never hosted (?) any Olympics.

For 2020 Games, my vote is for Delhi, India. Reasons:

1) Major world player
2) Large population, needs representation
3) Unique culture, share with world

Countries like USA, Japan while large and deserving have already hosted it many times. :smitten:

Also like to add, 2020 is good timing for India as by that time much infrastructure and economy will be developed to showcase to the world (just like Beijing did in 2008).

I appreciate your thoughts about New Delhi hosting 2020 Olympics. But I am not too keen on this , as it is a huge financial burden with little returns.

I appreciate your thoughts about New Delhi hosting 2020 Olympics. But I am not too keen on this , as it is a huge financial burden with little returns.

Oh thank god, you are there. A lot of Indians on this forum are stupid Hind-Pak or Hindi-Chini bhai bhai types. Servile types.

Olympics were good for Chinese. They may be good for the whole world. IMO they be an utter waste of precious Indian resources. First you build Stadia that later nobody uses. You build accomodation that is not EVAed enough for a common Middle Income Group. I think instead of wasting our resources on some stupid games, which we Indians anyways dont take too seriously, we should be investing these resources for the benefit of Tribals and creation of usable urban resources esp. fiber optics considering that this is one thing that we do well enough and for which a lot of political support can be found from all quarters.

Oh thank god, you are there. A lot of Indians on this forum are stupid Hind-Pak or Hindi-Chini bhai bhai types. Servile types.

Olympics were good for Chinese. They may be good for the whole world. IMO they be an utter waste of precious Indian resources. First you build Stadia that later nobody uses. You build accomodation that is not EVAed enough for a common Middle Income Group. I think instead of wasting our resources on some stupid games, which we Indians anyways dont take too seriously, we should be investing these resources for the benefit of Tribals and creation of usable urban resources esp. fiber optics considering that this is one thing that we do well enough and for which a lot of political support can be found from all quarters.

I agree. I read somewhere that the Chinese were planning to break-down or re-modify the 'bird's nest' stadium because it was no use anymore.

There is no point in India spending precious resources on Olympics and other useless events like F1 racing. Our priority should be to uplift poorer sections of the society rather than chest-thumping on the world stage.

P.S. Someone please stop Mayawati from spending $500 million on building grand statues of herself.

P.S. Someone please stop Mayawati from spending $500 million on building grand statues of herself.

Dont worry India doesnt work the way others do. Mayawati will get lalued by the very same illiterate educated who pushed out Paswan/Kalyan/Rajnath/Lalu/Commies.

Time is a friend of a great business and an enemy of a bad one. Said by my ......

i do agree with those who say that it will be waste of money n resources....

but on the other side. dont u think that this will atleast shake up our gov. i.e. look at the DELHI CWG 2010... there are numerous improvements in terms of infra, rules n regulations, workin of day to day services......makin it world class.....in short developin delhi.....makin it fit to accomodate foreign ppl

makin it suitable to take load demanded by the CWG......a world event........it will eventually benefit Delhi.....change the way it operates......change d public mindset......lots of positives for a city.....

then imagine wat good can Olympics do.....

Delhi will suck as a venue, for any international event. Let us see how they are planning to host Commonwealth games with 80% of stadiums still to be constructed.

Please stop this too.

HYDERABAD: In perhaps the largest memorial ever dedicated to a political leader in the country, the state cabinet on Thursday decided to
alienate 1,412 hectares of forest land in Kurnool district and erect a YSR Smrithi Vanam. Apart from the memorial at the helicopter crash site, another one is to be identified in the state capital.

The memorial in Kurnool district will stretch from Pavuralagutta near Nallakaluva village in the Atmakur forest division of the Nallamala forests which extends across five districts of the state. “At the entrance point of Pavuralagutta from where people would have to trek, a “stupa” will be erected and a proper trekking path would be laid up to the place where the chopper carrying Y S Rajasekhara Reddy crashed. In addition, landscaping of the area would be done and a nature interpretation study centre would be set up,” information minister J Geeta Reddy told the media after Thursday’s cabinet meeting.

According to the minister, YSR wanted to set up a breeding centre for birds like peacocks and other wildlife in the forest area.

“Hence, the cabinet decided to have a breeding centre. The entire project is estimated to cost Rs 3.15 crore and efforts would be made to ready it by September 2010,” she said.

According to the proposal, 1,412 hectares of reserve forest land would be earmarked for the memorial. Asked about the objections raised by environmentalists since the memorial was being planned in a reserve forest area, Geeta Reddy said the government did not foresee any problem since no construction activity or felling of trees would take place there. She also said that majority of the ministers wanted that a YSR memorial should be set up in the city.

Hence the cabinet constituted a sub-committee consisting of six ministers to scout for suitable land in the city.

1,412 hectare Nallamala forest land for YSR memorial

HYDERABAD: In perhaps the largest memorial ever dedicated to a political leader in the country, the state cabinet on Thursday decided to
alienate 1,412 hectares of forest land in Kurnool district and erect a YSR Smrithi Vanam. Apart from the memorial at the helicopter crash site, another one is to be identified in the state capital.

The memorial in Kurnool district will stretch from Pavuralagutta near Nallakaluva village in the Atmakur forest division of the Nallamala forests which extends across five districts of the state. “At the entrance point of Pavuralagutta from where people would have to trek, a “stupa” will be erected and a proper trekking path would be laid up to the place where the chopper carrying Y S Rajasekhara Reddy crashed. In addition, landscaping of the area would be done and a nature interpretation study centre would be set up,” information minister J Geeta Reddy told the media after Thursday’s cabinet meeting.

According to the minister, YSR wanted to set up a breeding centre for birds like peacocks and other wildlife in the forest area.

“Hence, the cabinet decided to have a breeding centre. The entire project is estimated to cost Rs 3.15 crore and efforts would be made to ready it by September 2010,” she said.

According to the proposal, 1,412 hectares of reserve forest land would be earmarked for the memorial. Asked about the objections raised by environmentalists since the memorial was being planned in a reserve forest area, Geeta Reddy said the government did not foresee any problem since no construction activity or felling of trees would take place there. She also said that majority of the ministers wanted that a YSR memorial should be set up in the city.

Hence the cabinet constituted a sub-committee consisting of six ministers to scout for suitable land in the city.

1,412 hectare Nallamala forest land for YSR memorial

now thats more sensible........ah....not all politicians r mayawatis....wat a waste of money........bringing up her own statue......shows how immature she is n she was dreamin of becoming Indian PM??

No thanks, we have enough jams already because of the CWG construction.

In any case, we won't be ready by 2020. Even if we have the infrastructure in place , what is more important is a sporting culture. Imagine, a host country winning half a dozen medals at most - totally embarrassing. Until we are in the position to match the tally of Greece in 2004 at least, we shouldn't even think of hosting the Olympics.

Rio de Janeiro to Host 2016 Olympic Games
91dbbe39a771c25f4fe1f0fe1874c8d0.jpg

Rio de Janeiro has been voted to be the host city of the 2016 Olympic Games, it was announced in Copenhagen. The Brazilian city, which proposed investments of $11.1 billion in preparation for the games, won today in balloting by the International Olympic Committee in Copenhagen, beating Madrid, Tokyo and Chicago. It will be the first time the Games have ever been held in South America and the decision has been greeted, predictably, in true carnival style as thousands of Cariocas, as Rio residents are known, danced and shouted in delight on Copacabana beach in front of a big stage and screens that showed the vote live.

you've got to be ******* kidding me. India cannot even handle the Commonwealth games, and they want the Olympics? Not in a million years.

^^^^
Remind me the last time Pakistan hosted an international sports meet?

Don't worry, we'll handle the commonwealth games. As for the Olympics, they can wait.

Back
Top Bottom