What's new

Mukesh Ambani will be the worlds richest man by 2014:Forbes

Actually yes.. I find the term Baniya derogatory.. but yes.. most of you have hit the spot..
They do avoid charity, at least that is my own experience as well in the US. But what they avoid in charity they make up for in offering work. They'll offer work to anybody..
Charity is also a personality trait.. but some genetic traits are hard to hide.
On the other hand..one is surprised as to how religious some of the Expat Indian millionaires are.. considering one whose daughter is at yale and very outgoing.. they still had separate utensils for Us when we stayed at their house..
I suppose the Achoot concept never leaves you.

I know some Marwari friends who never had a drop of water at my place, but I'm not achoot :)

Its just that I eat non veg and their religious beliefs don't allow them to. I'd be surprised if they considered you ''lower'' to offer you different utensils, but if so, its very condemnable.

@Santro

Your observations are not entirely incorrect, but a sweeping generalization is. Besides, untouchability and all is a wretched thing now. People, especially literate ones, have risen above that.

P.S. Do not mind the comments of some members here, at least I know that you are a sensible and balanced person.

Charity is also a personality trait.. but some genetic traits are hard to hide.
Genetic trait? Related to a social issue? Do you know this to be a fact, or just trying to write a smart sentence?

I suppose the Achoot concept never leaves you.

Fateh clarified the point on separate utensils using the veg/non veg logic. My roommate in grad school used to restrict the rest of us from cooking non veg in the "common" vessels. Maybe silly, but we have to respect others' feelings.

Many families also keep separate utensils for guests - I know my family did. It could also be a case of that.

I know some Marwari friends who never had a drop of water at my place, but I'm not achoot :)

Its just that I eat non veg and their religious beliefs don't allow them to. I'd be surprised if they considered you ''lower'' to offer you different utensils, but if so, its very condemnable.

True..Till the time my grandmother (mom's side) was alive, I had separate set of utensils to eat in when I was visiting their house because of my carnivorous habbits ;)

And my utensils were washed outside the house.

Nothing to do with Achoot. However in rural areas this concept of lower caste is still prevalant. However for you Santro, that probably was more to do with veg - nonveg funda..

True..Till the time my grandmother (mom's side) was alive, I had separate set of utensils to eat in when I was visiting their house because of my carnivorous habbits ;)

And my utensils were washed outside the house.

Nothing to do with Achoot. However in rural areas this concept of lower caste is still prevalant. However for you Santro, that probably was more to do with veg - nonveg funda..

Probably, but the distinction went down to the drinking glass as well... washed separately.. and kept separately.
Yes.. genetic trait.. as already mentioned this is a practice carried on throughout generations..(so is racism and caste).. and so while it is slowly abandoned by forthcoming generations.. the genetic "encoding" done for over a hundred years is difficult to kill.. as is.. for eg.. the good old sons are better than daughters mentality so prevalent in our region... and surprisingly this attitude is prevalent much more in the Aryan descendants than the others.
For eg.. on another occasion it was difficult for this otherwise well educated family to accept apples we had bought from the store.. since we had touched them.
Still there are other family friends of ours equally well off in the states who have left such archaic concepts behind.
Where wedding cards have RSVP's including dhingra's, Rajivs and maliks.

The genetic traits however, are still there in many people.. and it doesnt come down to just Hindu's.. it may be Muslims who have converted from these bloodlines.
The need to have distinctions is not just confined to religion.. it is a trait carried by a few races.. and has more to do with genetic imprinting than religion or family.

What would have simply begun a few thousand years ago as a practice to dominate other races via ritualistic separation.. became a part of the genetic encoding.

Probably, but the distinction went down to the drinking glass as well... washed separately.. and kept separately.
Yes.. genetic trait.. as already mentioned this is a practice carried on throughout generations..(so is racism and caste).. and so while it is slowly abandoned by forthcoming generations.. the genetic "encoding" done for over a hundred years is difficult to kill.. as is.. for eg.. the good old sons are better than daughters mentality so prevalent in our region... and surprisingly this attitude is prevalent much more in the Aryan descendants than the others.
For eg.. on another occasion it was difficult for this otherwise well educated family to accept apples we had bought from the store.. since we had touched them.
Still there are other family friends of ours equally well off in the states who have left such archaic concepts behind.

The genetic traits however, are still there in many people.. and it doesnt come down to just Hindu's.. it may be Muslims who have converted from these bloodlines.
The need to have distinctions is not just confined to religion.. it is a trait carried by a few races.. and has more to do with genetic imprinting than religion or family.

What would have simply begun a few thousand years ago as a practice to dominate other races via ritualistic separation.. became a part of the genetic encoding.

If you are trying to imply that its in the Hindu culture (or Hindu teachings) that have created such distinctions in society, then you are flawed. People over-time out of their own feelings, and without paying heed to logics, have evolved these concepts. It has nothing to do with being a Hindu. Those are individual shortcomings of proper understanding.

If you are trying to imply that its in the Hindu culture (or Hindu teachings) that have created such distinctions in society, then you are flawed. People over-time out of their own feelings, and without paying heed to logics, have evolved these concepts. It has nothing to do with being a Hindu. Those are individual shortcomings of proper understanding.

Nothing to do with Hinduism.. as you did not care to read through the post..
It has to do with racial domination.. as the Aryans wished for the civilizations they conquered.

The non charitable nature is inherent with most Indian Hindu's of the brahmin caste(no fascism intended.. its a characteristic I noticed in many of my fathers friends)... and while they will spend lavishly at times on their outlook.. you will many of them will still be having the thali at lunch..
They are very accommodating to friends.. but seem to dislike charity since they feel its better to offer work than to give charity...that way they benefit as well.

Brahmin dan(charity) lete hain dete nahi. ye ek kahawat hain mere ilake me isliye koi bura mat manna.

HI, sorry for my ignorance, but as far as I know 'Ambani' are not Vaish(Baniya), they are Sindhi. Just like 'Advani' or any other ANI suffixed to the surname is a sindhi.
I presume Gilani is also a sindhi?

HI, sorry for my ignorance, but as far as I know 'Ambani' are not Vaish(Baniya), they are Sindhi. Just like 'Advani' or any other ANI suffixed to the surname is a sindhi.
I presume Gilani is also a sindhi?

Gilani's grandfather came from Paktia province in Afghanistan and they settled in Multan, so he is not a Sindhi.

Though you are correct that many people with 'ani' suffixed in their surname are Sindhi's, but not all of them are. I too have 'ani' suffixed in my surname but I am a mix of various ethnic backgrounds.

Many Sindhi's also have 'o' suffixed in their surnames for e.g. Chandio, Thebo, Bhutto, Soomro etc.

Okay, I get the basic outline of your argument. But for heaven's sake, stop using phrases like "genetic encoding" just because it looks cool.

Humans can be said to have two primary trait classifications - the hereditary (genetic traits) and the other as a reaction to your immediate environment (learned traits). This can fall under the learned traits category in a crude way.

Genetic encoding can happen as a reaction to a person's environment, but it cannot happen in a few thousand years. Cultural habits are not easy to generalize, and vary from generation to generation even in villages.

how much do these rich and famous contribute back to the mother land in creating jobs and oppurtunities versus stacking cashloads in forigen accounts? Someone shed light please.

how much do these rich and famous contribute back to the mother land in creating jobs and oppurtunities versus stacking cashloads in forigen accounts? Someone shed light please.

good question.. good thing about these billionaires is that most of them are based in india & run their business empire from india. india is their primary market, thereby providing huge employment opertunity to local population. even indian billionaires based outside india still hold huge interest in their motherland. like mittal's, hinduja's etc.

Back
Top Bottom