What's new

Monkey King Film

Filmko's last 3D film (a Chinese adaption of Don Quixote) was a complete critical and box-office failure. They're not even going to recover their investment in that film and they're throwing another $60 million to make a 3D Monkey King adaption? And with a completely no name director?

Guess there really is a lot of hot money entering the Chinese film market. Still as long as they keep the production local they at least will contribute to the growth of film industry, even they're undertaking a huge business gamble.

Kelly Chen, Cecilia Cheung and Gigi Leung in3D i dont think that counts as a gamble :)

Love this part.

The Monkey King is a Chinese version (could be the same person) of the Hindu god Hanuman :D

Wasn't that just a speculation ?

However its true that DBZ character Goku was based on monkey king.

Wonder if this ^ makes some Chinese here feel nostalgic....

Last edited by a moderator:
Kelly Chen, Cecilia Cheung and Gigi Leung in3D i dont think that counts as a gamble :)

It won't be a gamble if it's a small budget romantic comedy, $60 million production cost is not a small number for a Chinese film. You'll need around $180 million in box office to just break even.

The only way they can do this is to strike gold in overseas markets, especially Japan's.

Still using a no name director in such a massive project sounds pretty stupid to me.

oozaru.jpg

However its true that DBZ charactr Goku was based on monkey king.

That's right. "Son Goku" is the Japanese pronunciation of Sun Wukong.

The actual written names are exactly the same for both (孫悟空). :tup:

On topic: I really think we need to get off the topic of Sun Wukong, it has been milked to death already.

Here is the prototype of the handsome Monkey King.

20100122230327813.jpg

The author was heavily influenced by Buddhism, then he mixed it with the traditional Chinese mythology and folklore.

Didn't know that Lord Hanuman was worshipped in Buddhism too!! :what:

Well he is my favourite god. He is said to be one of the incarnations of Lord Shiva.

Not so much worship. The story really mixed up the various elements, Sun Wukong was subdue by Guan Yin or was it a Buddha after wreaking havoc in the royal court of Lao Zi, etc, etc, sent to render service as part of the team to get some Buddhist scriptures from India to make him a better person.

You have to suspend reason but the story makes it somewhat easy to do so. Sun Wukong can turn himself into a giant, jump vast distance, so he could easily have carried the whole party to their destination at one go... Same for Hanuman who should have been able to rescue Sita on his own. Come to think of it, both stories share this feature.

I have seen certain Taoist sects Dao Jiao rather than Dao Jia, where their mediums sought the spirit of Sun Wukong though.

Chinese assimilate. The Muslim sufis have a saying, send a missionary to India, they say he is an Arab, send to one to China, he and his ideas becomes Chinese.

Not so much worship. The story really mixed up the various elements, Sun Wukong was subdue by Guan Yin or was it a Buddha after wreaking havoc in the royal court of Lao Zi, etc, etc, sent to render service as part of the team to get some Buddhist scriptures from India to make him a better person.

You have to suspend reason but the story makes it somewhat easy to do so. Sun Wukong can turn himself into a giant, jump vast distance, so he could easily have carried the whole party to their destination at one go... Same for Hanuman who should have been able to rescue Sita on his own. Come to think of it, both stories share this feature.

I have seen certain Taoist sects Dao Jiao rather than Dao Jia, where their mediums sought the spirit of Sun Wukong though.

Chinese assimilate. The Muslim sufis have a saying, send a missionary to India, they say he is an Arab, send to one to China, he and his ideas becomes Chinese.

Well my friend here in India we too have assimillated a lot u know. I do not know if u have any idea about Sufism (an assimilation of secular ideas about religion) and Din-i-Ilahi a religion founded by Akbar the great (Mughal Emperor) which is another assimilation of ideas between Hinduism and Islam along with other religious views of that time.

Back
Top Bottom