What's new

Milgem's new Corvet - Made in Turkey

i think Turkey has done alot so as Pakistan in reward we should give them some JF-17s

When are we expectied to get our first one ????

Actually the idea of JF-17 ain't so bad at all, IMO Turkey should take it into concideration. There is only one thing, does the JF-17 really belong to Pakistan with all it's rights or does China have the rights?

First we need the F16 upgrade kits from them ,

Its good to see a Muslim country building an Naval Combat Ship thats really proudy.

we are making submarines a nice combination

Evolution of the Milgem programWhen the Milgem project was officially launched in 1996, the initial plan was to locally build MEKO A-100 corvettes of Blohm+Voss, a German shipbuilding company which specializes in building high technology warships and submarines.

In the early 2000s, the partnership plan with Blohm+Voss was shelved and the Turkish Navy decided to design and build a completely indigenous corvette. Istanbul Naval Shipyard Command executes and coordinates the design, development and construction works of the Milgem project since 12 March 2004.

The design concept and mission profile of Milgem bears similarities with the Littoral Combat Ship (LCS-1) developed by Lockheed Martin as the first member of the next generation of USN warships.

Ada class corvette / F-100 class frigate
Eight of the twelve Milgem class warships will be named the Ada class and will be classified as corvettes, while four of them will be named the F-100 class and will be classified as frigates.

The F-100 class will feature a significantly longer hull and be equipped with the Mk.41 VLS and ESSM, along with other additional systems for improved multirole combat capability. The Mk.41 VLS (Vertical Launching System) is capable of firing RIM-66 Standard, RIM-162 ESSM and VL ASROC missiles, and the F-100 class frigates will be used as a testing platform for the new class of four indigenous AAW frigates of the Turkish Navy, known as the TF-2000 program. The experience and technological know-how gained with the Milgem project will play an important role in determining the design characteristics and the development process of the TF-2000 class frigates, as well as the selection of the systems and equipment which will be used on these ships.

Launch
TCG Heybeliada (F-511), the lead ship of the Milgem class corvettes and frigates, was launched on September 27, 2008, with a ceremony that was attended by Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan. According to the planned schedule, TCG Heybeliada will enter service in early 2011, when the sea trials and tests of the weapon systems will be completed.

Meanwhile, production of the second Milgem class warship, TCG Büyükada (F-512) has also commenced on September 27, 2008. F-512 will incorporate the ASELSAN radar (instead of the SMART-S Mk2) and also use the Mk.41 VLS. F-512 will be the prototype for the F-100 class multi-role frigates.

Export
According to a CNN Türk news report on September 27, 2008, the navies of Canada, Pakistan, Ukraine and a number of South American countries have expressed interest in acquiring Milgem class warships.

Class overview Name: Milgem (Ada class / F-100 class)
Building: 2
Planned: 12
General characteristics
Type: Corvette / Frigate
Displacement: 2,000 t
Length: 99.00 m
Beam: 14.40 m
Draught: 3.75 m
Propulsion: 1 gas turbine, 2 diesels, 2 shafts, 30,000 kW
Speed: Economy: 15 knots
Maximum: 29+ knots
Range: 3,500 nautical miles (6,480 km) @ 15 knots
Endurance: 21 days with logistic support, 10 days autonomous
Complement: 93 including aviation officers, with accommodation for up to 104
Sensors and
processing systems: Fire control: G-MSYS (GENESIS Milgem Savaş Yönetim Sistemi)
Search radar: SMART-S Mk2
Other sensors: X-Band radar, fire control radar, navigation radar, LPI radar, sonar
Navigation and communication systems: Electronic Navigation, SatCom, ECDIS/WECDIS, GPS, LAN
Combat Management System: GENESIS (Gemi Entegre Savaş İdare Sistemi)
Navigation and ship control: EPKİS (Entegre Platform Kontrol ve İzleme Sistemi)

Integrated Platform Management System: Imtech UniMACS 3000

Electronic warfare and decoys:EW radar, Laser/RF systems, ASW jammers, DG, SSTD
Armament: Guns: 1 x 76 mm (retractable for lower radar cross section, guidance by fire control radar and electro-optical systems), A position
2 x 12.7 mm Aselsan STAMP Stabilized Machine Gun Platform (guidance by Laser/IR/TV and electro-optical systems, automatic and manual modes), B position
Anti-surface missile: 8 x Harpoon Missile (or RBS15 Mk.III)
Anti-aircraft missile: 21 x RAM (Rolling Airframe Missile) PDMS

Torpedoes: 2 x 324 mm Mk.32 triple launchers for Mk.46 torpedoes
Aircraft carried: Hangar and platform for S-70-B2 Sea Hawk ASW helicopters and/or unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV), with the capability of storing armaments, 20 tons of JP-5 aircraft fuel, aerial refueling (HIRF) systems and maintenance systems

Actually the idea of JF-17 ain't so bad at all, IMO Turkey should take it into concideration. There is only one thing, does the JF-17 really belong to Pakistan with all it's rights or does China have the rights?
Rights of airframe are 50:50 based on funding...but I am 100% sure export to Turkey will be approved very quickly. I think JF-17 would be a decent replacement for the F-5 in Turkish Air Force.

""Its good to see a Muslim country building an Naval Combat Ship thats really proudy.

we are making submarines a nice combination""

Thanks Allah that We, Brothers are sharing our technologies with eachothers. I wish, Pakistan and Turkey were neighbour countries, Then I think, Everything will be more easy to solve, exchange tech, work togather..........etc.

Rights of airframe are 50:50 based on funding...but I am 100% sure export to Turkey will be approved very quickly. I think JF-17 would be a decent replacement for the F-5 in Turkish Air Force.

Rightly said that wouldn't be a problem at all the whole point of the JF-17 program was to prove it's capability through the export markets not only replace Pakistan's F-7's.

Ada class corvette / F-100 class frigate
Eight of the twelve Milgem class warships will be named the Ada class and will be classified as corvettes, while four of them will be named the F-100 class and will be classified as frigates.

The F-100 class will feature a significantly longer hull and be equipped with the Mk.41 VLS and ESSM, along with other additional systems for improved multirole combat capability. The Mk.41 VLS (Vertical Launching System) is capable of firing RIM-66 Standard, RIM-162 ESSM and VL ASROC missiles, and the F-100 class frigates will be used as a testing platform for the new class of four indigenous AAW frigates of the Turkish Navy, known as the TF-2000 program. The experience and technological know-how gained with the Milgem project will play an important role in determining the design characteristics and the development process of the TF-2000 class frigates, as well as the selection of the systems and equipment which will be used on these ships.
I don't know where you gathered the above from but it is completely false.
First of all the Milgem and F-100 are completely unrelated designs, stronger F-100 is not even designed yet.
Secondly it is also not an extended version of the Milgem and
third you say the F-100 will serve as a testing platform for the TF-2000, this is impossible since TF-2000 design nears completion while F-100 is to be designed yet and planned to enter service after 2020 to replace the multipurpose Meko-200 frigates.

Replacement for the F-5 is not an option since Turkey doesn't use the F-5 as a fighter aircraft but as a lead-in fighter (trainer aircraft). Turkey has upgraded the avionics of the F-5's with HUD and MFD's to serve as advanced lead-in fighter.

I was thinking more in the lines of backup fighter with Turkish avionics installed to it.

The first line of fighters in the future will consist of about 100 - 116 F35A aircraft, second line of aircrafts of 240 modernized F16 block 50+ and third line about 100 modernized F-4's.

So to recap
100 - 116 F35A
240 modernized F16 block 50
100 modernized F-4's

JF17 (although honestly saying that the chance is small) could function as light bomber / fighter equipped with Turkish avionics. Turkey is strongly interested in building advanced military electronics hardware including missiles etc. whereby the JF-17 platform could serve the goal.

Replacement for the F-5 is not an option since Turkey doesn't use the F-5 as a fighter aircraft but as a lead-in fighter (trainer aircraft). Turkey has upgraded the avionics of the F-5's with HUD and MFD's to serve as advanced lead-in fighter.

I was thinking more in the lines of backup fighter with Turkish avionics installed to it.

The first line of fighters in the future will consist of about 100 - 116 F35A aircraft, second line of aircrafts of 240 modernized F16 block 50+ and third line about 100 modernized F-4's.

So to recap
100 - 116 F35A
240 modernized F16 block 50
100 modernized F-4's

JF17 (although honestly saying that the chance is small) could function as light bomber / fighter equipped with Turkish avionics. Turkey is strongly interested in building advanced military electronics hardware including missiles etc. whereby the JF-17 platform could serve the goal.
I agree...but keep in mind that the JF-17 platform will evolve to include:

1) higher degree of composite material for lower weight.
2) lower RCS (stealthier) and much better engine, possibly Western
3) longer range & greater payload - for example 9 hardpoints.
4) AESA radar; HMDS - probably evolution of Denel Archer
5) same generation of avionics & ECM/EW as Typhoon & Rafale.
6) Contemporary weapon-systems including 5th gen. WVRAAM (A-Darter?)
7) Expect ramjet BVRAAM; PGBs; a Storm Shadow style ALCM.

This variant should be ready by 2015, and I think it could be a cheap contender to replace Turkey's older F-16s and serve as a "start-off" fighter for new pilots before they move on to more expensive fighters like JSF.

This variant should be ready by 2015, and I think it could be a cheap contender to replace Turkey's older F-16s and serve as a "start-off" fighter for new pilots before they move on to more expensive fighters like JSF.
Dear Mark Sien, I am absolutely not opposed to the idea of JF17 I am only trying to look at the matters objectively. If the advanced version of JF17 is to be ready by 2015 then Turkey will already have received the first F35's.

Secondly all F16's of Turkey are currently in a modernization proces to upscale them all into a block50+ configuration + 30 new block50+ have been ordered.

IMO JF17 has only chance when Turkey decides to go for indigenous avionics, and I think there is a chance since Turkey has the goal to turn her aircraft industry (TAI) into a full design and construction center. The goal is that TAI can develop indigenous airplanes and satellites in the future so JF17 could fit in that strategy.

Hope we will see also cooperation in this area.

Back
Top Bottom