What's new

Maybe we have forgotten Kashmir?

Pakistani's are coming to the realization now that they have no chance to grab Kashmir from India anymore. Even the Kashmiri's from the valley don't want to be part of Pakistan.

The writer makes points which are fairly obvious to most. Kashmir simply doesn't have the same resonance for the average Pakistani, as it once may have. And even in those times, any feeling of anger / sympathy / frustration was fuelled by the state media machinery.

The past 10 years has seen a demonstrably profound shift in focus and priority for Pakistani's:

Geo-strategic

One calendar date started the domino effect, and we're living with the aftermath today - 9/11. Two things happened here which kicked Kashmir to the backburner:

1. The renewed focus on Afghanistan for PakMil, and a subsequent new theatre of war
  2. The views of the world on freedom fighters / militants
PakMil was now back in the spotlight, and it saw 9/11 as a means to reposition itself in the world as a responsible and important geo-strategic player. It also meant that any dubious activities in Kashmir (which were traditionally pushed by the Military) could not be promoted with the same vigour as before - given the accountability that was thrust upon us.

The implications of this was that Kashmir could not be pushed by the state on the global stage as we had previously done so, despite us trying our very best to use Kashmir as an example of what people can resort to in the face of disputes / atrocities. It just didn't have any takers in the world anymore.

In short, we have no sympathy or moral standing on this dispute today. Parliament 2001 and 26/11 hammered that home. On the other hand, India has been far more effective in pushing Kashmir as a region troubled by terrorism (rather than a freedom movement), and pulled off an early PR coup with the powerful term it coined in the early 2000's: 'cross-border terrorism'.

Free Media in Pakistan

The exponential rise of private media channels meant that the daily diet of 'makbooza Kashmir' was removed from the menu. The stale broadcasting of state-run PTV has been butchered over the past decade. In line with that, the agenda has been switched, particularly in the last 5 years to growing domestic issues which dominate the daily talk shows we're exposed to.

Domestic Issues

Following on from the last point, domestic issues in the past 5 years have assumed greater importance than Kashmir to the point where it's a surprise if Kashmir is mentioned once a week, let alone a day on Geo, Samaa, ARY, Dawn, NBC, Express News etc etc. And what a 5 years it's been:

1. Benazir's assassination
  2. Rise of Pakistan Taliban and terrorist attacks
  3. Sectarian clashes
  4. Rising inflation
  5. Worsening load shedding - both gas and electric
  6. Corruption and mismanagement
  7. Unprecedented levels of unemployment
  8. Weakening rupee and wider economic stagnation
  9. Karachi troubles
  10. Floods of 2010 and 2011
  11. Executive & Judiciary tussle
The list goes on.

So in short, we have enough on our plate to care as passionately as we once may have about Kashmir. I know that's the case when I visit Pakistan, and speak to people. The public are wiser, smarter, exposed to information like never before to make an informed decision about what's right and best for Pakistan. Taking on India, and fighting a futile war when we're in a complete mess is not worth the effort.

It certainly isn't worth doing so when all we can offer Kashmiri's on the other side of the LoC is a bleak future given our troubles. They're better off where they are, and we're better off focusing on ourselves, and getting our own house in order.

Unfortunately, the wisdom, foresight and leadership is lacking to turn that dream into a reality.

Well analyzed! :tup: I wish I could give you more 'thanks' for writing this piece! Have the hardliners here got anything to counter these arguments with? Oh yes! They'll dry their darnedest to put a spin with those age-old yarns filled with great emotion about how close the 'Kashmiris brothers' are with the Pak Punjabis and Pashtuns and for whom they are willing to lay down their lives! Remember that old rhetoric - "Kashmir banega Pakistan"? Really? This after deserting East Pakistan? Jeeez!

I would like to tell them: Pehle apna desh ko bachao, phir baat karo! :P

Try telling that to some hardline members of PDF!! :P For them Kashmir is the be-all and end-all of their very existence. Without Kashmir they assume that Pakistan can never hope to eliminate poverty and become a super power! And they can never hope to become millionaires themselves without Kashmir! Or so they think! :smokin:

Now you know why Kashmir is so close to their hearts! :cheesy:

Actually Pakistani elite, especially the ones with close ties to military, need to keep the Kashmir issue alive, even if Kashmiris themselves want something else. This goes to the very root of Pakistan's existence, i.e. the two nation theory. Kashmir is used by the Pakistani elite to incite the anti-India sentiments amongst the common Pakistani's. Peace with India would mean that common Pakistani's questioning the rationale of the two nation theory, which would directly challenge the hold on power of the Pakistani elite.

Kashmir is hauwwa.

Pakistan elite or deep state/army were never under any illusions about taking any part of Kashmir once their surprise attack petered out and was halted in 47.

The fact of the matter is how to ensure that the Indian subcontinent comes under Muslim rule once more.

This time by the native Muslims - as proxies of their ideological fountainheads.

Pakistan was supposed to be a rallying point, from which to expand and undermine and finally subvert.

Ghazwa-e-Hind.

Satark.

Kashmir is hauwwa.

Pakistan elite or deep state/army were never under any illusions about taking any part of Kashmir once their surprise attack petered out and was halted in 47.

The fact of the matter is how to ensure that the Indian subcontinent comes under Muslim rule once more.

This time by the native Muslims - as proxies of their ideological fountainheads.

Pakistan was supposed to be a rallying point, from which to expand and undermine and finally subvert.

Ghazwa-e-Hind.

Satark.

I think Persian defeat in 642 has clouded your judgement. Pakistan has no interest in converting or subverting India. For all the claims of secular credentials the singling out of Muslims is quite telling. If I was an Indian Muslim I wouldn't have liked it :D

I agree with the last part, that letting go of Kashmir for now is better for Pakistan..
but the writer is delusional if he thinks that ANY Pakistani other than him is hoping for a job in India.
Heck.. India does not even figure in the job market unless its an international thing.

At most, there are people that aspire to study in India due to the reputation of institutions.
But the fact is that many Indians have different expectations and aspirations in employment and also generally settle for harsher work environments during the start of their employment than Pakistanis would.
It has less to do with being an Indian, more to do with the immense competition there.
Why would anyone want to go into a market where you will be even more hard-pressed to perform for only a small increase in net basic pay.

This may not be true for the entertainment industry though

Back
Top Bottom