What's new

Making peace with PKK, Pros and Cons!

Ir.Tab.

Reaction score
Except MHP, all other major parties in Turkey have a positive point of view about peace making procedure in Turkey. The unity of Turkey is the most important concern attributed with the issue.

The aim of this thread is to discuss whether this peace will endangers unity of Turkey or will give strength to it.

The effects on Turkish economy, Turkish foreign diplomacy maneuverability, Human rights, Development indexes as well as income equality are welcomed.

In contrast, please do not hesitate to discuss all possible disadvantages of such a peace making procedure in the country.

I request everyone please do not enter or answer any racist or historical craps.

As there is no other issue as important as this issue, regards to the future of Turkey, I request Mods please to do not let this thread to change to a troll fest.

I have couple questions to be clarified ....

What are the Kurds demands? and what are the Turkish government demands from the Kurds?

Erdogan to Continue PKK Talks Despite Paris Murders

The timing of the Paris assassinations, the fact that they coincided with a rise of great hopes in Turkey over a newly initiated dialogue with PKK leader Abdullah Ocalan, has led to a near consensus that the attack was designed “to undermine the process.”

The Paris attack is unprecedented in the sense that no PKK leader had so far been assassinated in Europe, which has had a prominent place in the PKK’s nearly three-decade armed struggle thanks to the efforts of the Kurdish diaspora.

It is certain that the Paris murders are a dangerous, ominous starter.

candar-001.jpg

Cengiz Çandar

A huge pro:

Foreign states can't use PKK anymore to keep pressure on Turkey, and threaten to use the organization when they disagree with Turkey's foreign policies. If Turkey manages to make peace with PKK, it would be rid of its heel of Achilles. Turkey would emerge a lot stronger, and it would make the country much more confident in conducting its foreign policy. Thats why some countries are trying to prevent Turkey making a deal with PKK.

I have couple questions to be clarified ....

What are the Kurds demands? and what are the Turkish government demands from the Kurds?

PKK demands are unclear as hell, First it was to establish a Marxist communist state and then it become rights for Kurds, But thats for international propaganda so there organisation can be a look-a-like ''freedom fighters'' like the ones you see in Afghanistan.

Turks demand is simple, Pull down your arms and get a phucking job.

Btw, I am a huge Pro! Ending this conflict will boost and benefit Turkey on every aspect, you name it economicly, Socialy, Politictly and strategicly. Nobody will ever be able to use PKK as a proxy ever again, no one.

Of course it will definitely strengthen the unity of Turkey, Kurds are Muslims and have always lived in this region, we share with them a long history with it's ups and downs and they deserve to be treated as equal as Turks in Turkey and Arabs in Syria and Iraq. It's time to admit that Turki, Iraqi and Syrian regimes wronged those noble people. If we don't win them back now they will have their independence sooner or later on the expense of Turkey, Iraqi, and Syrian territories and BTW, recent regional changes are in favor of this. No one can blame Kurds for being national to their own race after both Arab and Turks nationalism that marginalized them in their own homeland.

I am saying this because I can't be a hypocrite, Saddam and other Arab extreme nationalists used to cry over Palestine liberty and at the same time deny Kurds rights and even repress them!

PKK demands are unclear as hell, First it was to establish a Marxist communist state and then it become rights for Kurds, But thats for international propaganda so there organisation can be a look-a-like ''freedom fighters'' like the ones you see in Afghanistan.

I've heard Ocalan demands the removal of the characterization of citizens as being solely members of the “Turkish nation.” That sounds quite reasonable to me. You agree?

In fact this is gonna be one of the changes in the upcoming constitution. Debate has started while ago.

Does this constitutional change have enough support among the Turkish voters?

Turkey's strength lies with Turkmens of Syria and Turkmens of Iraq.

Women and children can be naive, but men dont have luxury to be naive.

Only way to make peace with PKK, is to destroy PKK.

Because, Kurds already have equal rights with Turks, I don't know what Iranians and Arabs here think what's happening but there is only one type of an ID card in Turkey. We are all citizens of the same republic. PKK and their sympathizers wants to change that, split Turkey. over my dead body mofos.

I would like to discuss what the negative effects of this almost 30 years old insurgency are...According to official statements Turkey spent nearly 300bn$ to end this..More than 35k people died...South east zone of Turkey remain mostly undeveloped due to terror..Turkey also lost her precious time..
So what we lost is clear..But what will be the positive effects if we succeed on these talks?

1- Assuming this peace process will be successful, we shouldnt expect an attitude change from Turkish Kurd nationalists soon..Its not a secret that there has been an alienation between nationalists from the both sides..But imho, this peace process will strength the unity of Turkey in the long run..

2- This terror situation is a big burden on Turkey`s shoulders economically..For this 30 years old conflict Turkey spent 10bn$ each year to finish it off..Thats huge..and a clear indication that it must end..soon..Right now Tax income from south east is almost 0...After normalization process south east zone`s fully integration to Turkish economy should be expected so that would be another benefit not only for Turkey but also for her people

3- If you guys remember, the military doctrine of Turkey is to be able to fight on 2.5 fronts at the same time...That 0.5 comes from inside terrorism..In a war scenario(God forbids!) Turkey wont have to keep an eye on south east zone inside and will be able to distribute her war assets effectively

4- In foreign diplomacy arena, Turkey wont have to face " first solve your own problems then come to us" attitude which will enable Turkey to maneuver effectively

5- The most important positive result imho will be a united, strong, problem free Turkey(in the context of terror)

I've heard Ocalan demands the removal of the characterization of citizens as being solely members of the “Turkish nation.” That sounds quite reasonable to me. You agree?

Well, Very little wil change. I mean Kurds exist, Thats there is to it. But that means they are still Turkish, Because you have a Turkish Passport, Etnicty or religions doesnt mather. You may be a kurdish but in Turkey your are Turkish the same time. Just like in the Netherlands i am a dutch, because i posses a dutch passport but that doesnt say anything about my Turkish ancenstry and background.

Back
Top Bottom