What's new

Maharashtra police to crack whip on those who ‘like’ offensive Facebook posts

Attacked ??? How ??? Those people will be brought to court of law. Is that a attack ???

Freedom of speech is limited by the clause that such freedom should not disturb the social fabric or hurt other's feelings or beliefs.

The controversial post almost brought down all the cities in Maharashtra to close down. If you want to understand the magnitude you can compare it with "the cartoon controversy "

I say the offenders better go to police and surrender. That would be safe for their lives.

How is it undemocratic ??? Please explain it to me.

So if I like a post that is going to hurt your feelings? And for that I need to be jailed?

Freedom of speech is for cases EXACTLY like this.

Like I said, people are stupid. People will get offended over small things. If we, citizens, defend the right to freedom of expression, in its entirety, people will understand that anyone can say anything and it is their right, just as they themselves have the right to express their opinions!
Thakeray made so many inflammatory speeches, almost inciting social unrest! Did anyone punish him? Why? He always defended himself by citing this Freedom of Expression rights! So why punish the lay people, who are much more stupid and irresponsible than a politician with mass following?
You think its about Thakary !!! Its about Chatrapati Shivaji n Sambhaji.
Please get all information.
Again , is state govt supposed to do nothing if your opinion is starting riots ???
PS that opinion broke the law of the land. Period.
Actually you can! Just watch Fox programs and you will know! Does Family Guy jokes ring any bells?
Tell me that when "they" use the direct words and images. We will talk about it.

PS : nobody can be ok in Maharashtra after insulting the state idol. I pray they are found by police than common public of any party. Result will be same
People make fun of Congress idols all the time! Nehru, Gandhi, Indira, Rajiv, Rahul, Sonia, Priyanka....etc. Does that mean you lot have to be punished for posting and liking slanderous posts about the Gandhi family, who are right now alive and powerful in the Indian political circus?
So why get offended by a long dead King who, btw, is revered in Indian history as one of the greatest kings of the subcontinent? It speaks volumes about the immaturity of a people.

Nice poem :tup:
I suggest you try to test your freedom of speech by saying something about prophet of other religion in US. Lets see how it go.

You obvious don't know the US. we have museum shows where christ is depicted in a bad manner...and it is still allowed. we don't fear stupid expressions or offensive expressions as much as we fear the right of expression taken away.

These were the reasons why pronogrphy was allowed as freedom of expression in the US. It is not because we think pronogrpahy is great... it is because if we start policing morals or offensive expression to some- then we will soon become like the taliban.

You should be on the same level of thought, your rights of free speech and expression are way to important to give into...even if it means allowing offensive speech.

You think its about Thakary !!! Its about Chatrapati Shivaji n Sambhaji.
Please get all information.
Again , is state govt supposed to do nothing if your opinion is starting riots ???
PS that opinion broke the law of the land. Period.

Tell me that when "they" use the direct words and images. We will talk about it.

he gave you an example of thackery ... he did not say it was about thackery. what did the post say about shivaji that was so offensive? I submit, the post did not break the law , the rioters did!

Dude, just watch some episodes....Jesus is constantly made fun of in many programs. Stand up routines constantly poke fun at the religious people. A preacher right of freedom of expression was still passionately defended when he burnt the holy book Koran, when soldiers actually died in Afghanistan following the burning incident!
So yes, Freedom of Expression here is a very important right, and people will defend it, no matter what.

Do you know what was the post ???

Yes they can take me to court. N I will go cause I am responsible for what I say.

PS : nobody can be ok in Maharashtra after insulting the state idol. I pray they are found by police than common public of any party. Result will be same

Exactly my point sir. Tomorrow, a bunch of people or rather a bigger community, term Mr. Rahul Gandhi as the 'Country Idol' and start a riot based on one of your posts referring to him. The incumbant govt. puts you behind bars, for what they think incited the riots, a mere post mocking Mr Raul which most of us do, as a pass time ofcourse. Now think, justice served?

are you saying rioting over a cartoon is right?
did I ??? Its No
freedom of speech is designed to challenge the status quo unless it is akin to screaming fire in theater.
this opinion was more than screaming fire. It potentially threaten lives of minimum millions. One more wrong thing from other side and state will burn like hell. You still want that person to be free to insult what other see as their fore father ??? ( Chatrapati Shivaji )
people have negative opinions about historical figures. for example: if I call Modi or rahul Gandhi a nazi ...as offensive as it is --- it is not grounds for stifling free speech.
i dont give a dam about political leaders
I guess we who live in true democracies ( albeit not perfect ones), find the need to protect individual freedoms, even of those folks who are stupid- very near and dear to our freedoms
My opinion is State is responsible for peace. And if someone is breaking the law he need to be brought to the court of law. He can defend himself.

But frankly tell me what will you choose. Threat to the lives of people or unlimited freedom of speech for some lunatic ???

PS : indian constitution has not given full freedom of speech for very same reason

Exactly my point sir. Tomorrow, a bunch of people or rather a bigger community, term Mr. Rahul Gandhi as the 'Country Idol' and start a riot based on one of your posts referring to him. The incumbant govt. puts you behind bars, for what they think incited the riots, a mere post mocking Mr Raul which most of us do, as a pass time ofcourse. Now think, justice served?
You didnt get my point. One party did not start riot !!! The rioter were from different parties including ruling party. If I broken the law I go to court not to jail .
and yes they can. if one group is making mess over my comment stare will take me in protective custody to avoid violence. Read rest in my upper post

Last edited:
You obvious don't know the US. we have museum shows where christ is depicted in a bad manner...and it is still allowed. we don't fear stupid expressions or offensive expressions as much as we fear the right of expression taken away.

These were the reasons why pronogrphy was allowed as freedom of expression in the US. It is not because we think pronogrpahy is great... it is because if we start policing morals or offensive expression to some- then we will soon become like the taliban.

You should be on the same level of thought, your rights of free speech and expression are way to important to give into...even if it means allowing offensive speech.

The Indian public is not matured enough or its law enforcing agencies strong enough to tolerate inciting speeches. It is given that the general public/political/religious parties would react to any provocation. In the view of this, it is justified to discourage any controversy, even at the cost of freedom of speech. You cannot apply the same laws or expect the same rights in countries as different as US and India.

Dude, just watch some episodes....Jesus is constantly made fun of in many programs. Stand up routines constantly poke fun at the religious people. A preacher right of freedom of expression was still passionately defended when he burnt the holy book Koran, when soldiers actually died in Afghanistan following the burning incident!
So yes, Freedom of Expression here is a very important right, and people will defend it, no matter what.
I have not seen it. May be Christians are ok with it and more liberal about their beliefs. Let them try it with other religions. Do tell me if they have done it with Islam or Hindu or any other religion.

did I ??? Its No
this opinion was more than screaming fire. It potentially threaten lives of minimum millions. One more wrong thing from other side and state will burn like hell. You still want that person to be free to insult what other see as their fore father ??? ( Chatrapati Shivaji )
i dont give a dam about political leaders

My opinion is State is responsible for peace. And if someone is breaking the law he need to be brought to the court of law. He was defend himself.

But frankly tell me what will you choose. Threat to the lives of people or unlimited freedom of speech for some lunatic ???

PS : indian constitution has not given full freedom of speech for very same reason

You didnt get my point. One party did not start riot !!! The rioter were from different parties including ruling party. Read rest in my upper post

how is facebook post= screaming fire in a theater?

You are scared of indian Taliban like reaction and that fear is making you say- yes I will rather give up the freedom of speech and expression vs. call those who riot the only law breakers and criminals.

I should have the right to say "Shivaji was a moron and his father was a pimp"- it is not true but okay it is my stupid opinion. and Nobody should riot and damage state property and attack others over it.

otherwise what is difference between you and the taliban?

I have not seen it. May be Christians are ok with it and more liberal about their beliefs. Let them try it with other religions. Do tell me if they have done it with Islam or Hindu or any other religion.

sure , more examples: hindu goddess on underwear and koran being allowed to be burnt... no riots in the US over it. or rights of those who did it taken away.

The Indian public is not matured enough or its law enforcing agencies strong enough to tolerate inciting speeches. It is given that the general public/political/religious parties would react to any provocation. In the view of this, it is justified to discourage any controversy, even at the cost of freedom of speech. You cannot apply the same laws or expect the same rights in countries as different as US and India.
That is still NO EXCUSE to infringe upon our Constitutional rights! This in no way justifies suspension of our rights. If people are stupid to incite riots over trivial/silly matters, then there is something fundamentally wrong with our society.
On one hand you people make fun of our country's founding fathers, poke fun at the politicians and religious figures, laugh at offensive/racist/religiously insensitive jokes and yet, get offended if some one 'likes' a facebook post about some long dead king, which some idiot deemed to be 'offensive' to his/her sentiments? Dont you see the irony in this?

How stupid that some of you are willing to give up certain rights so sa not to offend your own likes? And we call ourselves the "largest democracy" in the history of the planet?

You are scared of indian Taliban like reaction and that fear is making you say- yes I will rather give up the freedom of speech and expression vs. call those who riot the only law breakers and criminals.

I should have the right to say "Shivaji was a moron and his father was a pimp"- it is not true but okay it is my stupid opinion. and Nobody should riot and damage state property and attack others over it.

sure , more examples: hindu goddess on underwear and koran being allowed to be burnt... no riots in the US over it. or rights of those who did it taken away.
I am in travelling so will be little slow to reply.

First thing - do you know how much freedom of speech the constitution if India has given to its citizens ??? Do you want me to post that part ???

I never claim I know things anout US. I have never visited. Plus I hate US :woot:

Thats difference in culture. I dare you you say same thing about Shivaji in Maharastra in SPG protection and walk out of state. Its wrong but people will react. Isnt it against their right to experssion :D

I am not justifing riots. I am justifying state govt's move to control riots.

Damn you!! You just insulted the state idol, hindu idol and Islam Idol in one go . Wait for the rubber lathis coming your way. ;)

Yes to everything you said but just because the indian public is immature and police is incompetent- you don't give up on freedoms. Those rights are more dear and should be...and worthy of citizens like you and others to not give into.

That is still NO EXCUSE to infringe upon our Constitutional rights!
Do tell me whats the constitutional right. Please post it here. The full clause from FRs

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom