What's new

Kargil martyr Saurabh Kalia's torture: Violations by Pakistan unacceptable

janon

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
Kargil martyr Saurabh Kalia's torture: Violations by Pakistan unacceptable, says government | NDTV.com

New Delhi: The father of Kargil martyr Captain Saurabh Kalia, who was made captive and subjected to brutal torture by the Pakistan Army in 1999, has moved the Supreme Court seeking its direction to the Union Government to take up his son's case at the International Court of Justice.

In his petition to the Supreme Court, Dr. NK Kalia, a retired scientist, has asked the Indian Government to get Pakistan to apologise for the incident, alleging that the latter violated all norms of the Geneva Convention that charts out protocols for treatment meted out of prisoners of war.

While terming the violations as "completely unacceptable", the government said that it would do "whatever is possible" in the case. "Whatever is possible would be done but I do not want to give you a commitment now of any nature of what is possible or what is being done...This is a matter we have taken up at the highest level over the years and we have not yet been able to get adequate stands of the matter being addressed, that is absolutely true," said External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid.

The Kalias have been waging a lonely battle for justice for their son, who was a victim of war atrocities.

Captain Kalia, of the 4 Jat Regiment, was the first army officer to report the incursion by the Pakistani Army on Indian soil. He along with five soldiers - sepoys Arjun Ram, Bhanwar Lal Bagaria, Bhika Ram, Moola Ram and Naresh Singh - were on a patrol of the Bajrang Post in the Kaksar sector of Jammu and Kashmir when they were taken captive by Pakistani troops May 15, 1999.

They were tortured for weeks before being killed. Their mutilated bodies were handed over to the Indian authorities on June 9 that year.

The elderly couple, settled in his tea garden town, about 120 km from the state capital Shimla, wants the Indian government to highlight the atrocities committed by the Pakistani Army internationally.

British lawyer of Indian origin Jas Uppal, who has launched an international campaign to highlight the plight of Saurabh and five other soldiers, has been helping the Kalias to petition the Supreme Court.

She has been demanding the blacklisting of Pakistan for the purpose of giving international aid.

India and Pakistan fought a limited war over the icy heights of Kargil in Jammu and Kashmir in May-July 1999. India took back all the positions that had been occupied by the Pakistani Army.

India lost 527 soldiers and Pakistan upwards of 700 men.

(With IANS inputs)

In war sh!t happens- i bet those so called soldiers were mujahideens-

Pakistanis have not yet apologised for genocide of BD , and we expect them to apology for this.

Pakistanis have not yet apologised for genocide of BD , and we expect them to apology for this.

They did, some 30+ years after it happened. At least their foreign minister said they "regret" "some things" they did. It's just that their people are not aware of it. Some of them are not even aware of what they did.

In war sh!t happens- i bet those so called soldiers were mujahideens-

If you are talking about the Pakistani soldiers, well call them what you want. By now they and their families have gotten used to the fact that you disown them. Call them mujahideen or non state actors or terrorists or what you will. But to the rest of your post, well no such things shouldn't happen in war if the soldiers follow basic laws of war agreed upon by humanity. And note, this happened before any war started, this was the beginning of the war. Indian soldiers (since we are not in the habit of disowning our men in uniform) were abducted and tortured for weeks. That's not what professional soldiers who work for the nation's INTERESTS do. That's what soldiers motivated by hatred, as opposed to interests, do.

If you are talking about the Pakistani soldiers, well call them what you want. By now they and their families have gotten used to the fact that you disown them. Call them mujahideen or non state actors or terrorists or what you will. But to the rest of your post, well no such things shouldn't happen in war if the soldiers follow basic laws of war agreed upon by humanity. And note, this happened before any war started, this was the beginning of the war. Indian soldiers (since we are not in the habit of disowning our men in uniform) were abducted and tortured for weeks. That's not what professional soldiers who work for the nation's INTERESTS do. That's what soldiers motivated by hatred, as opposed to interests, do.

I ask for proofs and you giving me rhetorics- these usual rant are getting boring now-

India is entirely different war culture. We won 1971 but we had not such a thing on record. Pakistan lost a Kargil war but still they had such image in the world.

I ask for proofs and you giving me rhetorics- these usual rant are getting boring now-

No you didn't ask me for any proof. Look again at the post I replied to.

I told you you may call disown them if you want to. It doesn't matter whether it was done by your soldiers or your mujahideen. Or is it ok if your mujahideen did it? Are people who describe themselves as "mujahideen" not expected to live up to basic human standards? Are they by definition lower than humans? Is that what you are saying?

Back
Top Bottom