Janes: China hopes to develop next-gen carriers

cirr

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
China
By Grace Jean

3/14/2013

On the heels of its first aircraft carrier arriving in a northeastern homeport, China is already setting its sights on developing a next-generation flat-top complete with electromagnetic (EM) catapult technology, University of California (UC) researchers told a defence industry conference on 7 March.

Following the completion of an extensive rebuild programme, aircraft carrier Liaoning was handed over to the People's Liberation Army Navy (PLAN) on 25 September 2012. The 59,439-tonne vessel was purchased from Ukraine and is a Kuznetsov-class ship with a ski jump to launch aircraft.

"China calls it a useful training ship, a useful research and development [R&D] ship," Tai Ming Cheung, director of the UC Institute on Global Conflict and Cooperation (IGCC), told the Pacific Operational S&T conference in Honolulu, Hawaii.

With aspirations of becoming a maritime power, China wants to build a next-generation carrier from scratch in its domestic shipyards and it is investing funds in R&D to achieve electromagnetic catapult technology.

"They don't want an aircraft carrier that uses ski jumps. That's not considered a world-class carrier," said Cheung, whose IGCC is overseeing the Minerva Project on the Study of Innovation and Technology in China, a five-year effort funded by the US Department of Defense (DoD).

Full Article::coffee:
Pacific Operational S&T Conference and Exhibition 2013: China hopes to develop next-gen carriers

By Grace Jean

3/14/2013

On the heels of its first aircraft carrier arriving in a northeastern homeport, China is already setting its sights on developing a next-generation flat-top complete with electromagnetic (EM) catapult technology, University of California (UC) researchers told a defence industry conference on 7 March.

Following the completion of an extensive rebuild programme, aircraft carrier Liaoning was handed over to the People's Liberation Army Navy (PLAN) on 25 September 2012. The 59,439-tonne vessel was purchased from Ukraine and is a Kuznetsov-class ship with a ski jump to launch aircraft.

"China calls it a useful training ship, a useful research and development [R&D] ship," Tai Ming Cheung, director of the UC Institute on Global Conflict and Cooperation (IGCC), told the Pacific Operational S&T conference in Honolulu, Hawaii.

With aspirations of becoming a maritime power, China wants to build a next-generation carrier from scratch in its domestic shipyards and it is investing funds in R&D to achieve electromagnetic catapult technology.

"They don't want an aircraft carrier that uses ski jumps. That's not considered a world-class carrier," said Cheung, whose IGCC is overseeing the Minerva Project on the Study of Innovation and Technology in China, a five-year effort funded by the US Department of Defense (DoD).

Full Article::coffee:
Pacific Operational S&T Conference and Exhibition 2013: China hopes to develop next-gen carriers

That is very ambitious. Even though China only has a few months of experience, the Chinese are now developing carrier with EM catapault. I wonder how long it will take?

the challenging part lies in EM catapult.best of luck.

Hopefully it will be ready before 2030. Considering the problems with our engine developments, I don't have much confidence.

That is very ambitious. Even though China only has a few months of experience, the Chinese are now developing carrier with EM catapault. I wonder how long it will take?

EM is not new for China. China instead stands at the forefront at EM tech actually. China argueablely has even more EM catapault engineering and actual experiences than the US at grass root level - think Shanghai magnev trains.

the analogy here is mobile phones, if one already missed the 1st and 2nd gen revolution like motorola's and Nokia's (i.e. steam), one still can leapfog towards the lastest gen of smartphone tech (i.e. EM). In fact this is a smarter move.

A smart move by China. If there is no technology to glean from the steam cat., might as well go straight to EM cat.

I doubt the PRC can conduct such an technological feat within the time-frame of 20 years. It would be Japan that will have an advance carrier that will dominate the Asia-Pacific when article 9 is dropped from the diet's constitution.

I doubt the PRC can conduct such an technological feat within the time-frame of 20 years. It would be Japan that will have an advance carrier that will dominate the Asia-Pacific when article 9 is dropped from the diet's constitution.

Nobody thought that the PRC would design and build two different fifth generation fighters in a timespan of two years. They did.

I also had doubt China can design the fourth or fifth generation Plane in 10 years befor J20 showed itself!!
Yes, Japan have strong shipbuilding industry, and many industries also very strong, can understood you doubt, But let's see, and Japan can't dominate Asia Pacific, they are too small compared with China and USA.

A smart move by China. If there is no technology to glean from the steam cat., might as well go straight to EM cat.

ON TOPIC: I agree. Great move by China.

OFF TOPIC: I told you before. Canada hasn't legalized cathouses so if you're dwelling in one, you're doing it illegally. I suggest you desist and mail me pics and phone numbers of the hottest girls you got.

How do I do that? I mean mail you the hot girls. In a XpressPost envelope? Are you sure you are old enough to sign for it?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom