What's new

China’s First Homegrown Aircraft Carrier Uses Electromagnetic Catapult!!!

Thought they opted for a steam catapult for Type 001. I'd expected EMALS for Type 003.

Thought they opted for a steam catapult for Type 001. I'd expected EMALS for Type 003.

No, they opted for the same as Liaoning for 001. EMALS and steam are not really the evolution of the latter. I don't think they have so much in common.

One uses steam to push the fighter off the deck, the other uses electricity. The similarity is there, but I think to create one from scratch is not that different one to the other in terms of time.

But EMALS do need a massive power source, so the reactor is very important.

China’s new aircraft carrier being built at a shipard

Recently, Jane’s Defence Weekly has exposed a true photo of China’s homegrown aircraft carrier that it claims to have obtained from Google.

US experts have checked the photo and found that the carrier is installed with an electromagnetic catapult, a technology that the US has just gained mastery and only uses it on one of its carriers, the Ford.

There have been reports that the PLA plans to spend $20 billion to get two aircraft carrier combat groups. If so, the PLA will be the most powerful in East Asia and perhaps, the entire Asia.

In addition, China is building lots of other warships. According to Kanwa Defence Review, China is building a few 35,000-ton amphibious attack warships, each of which can carry 4 Zubr LCACs and 20 helicopters. China has obtained one Zubr LCAC from Ukraine. It is expected the such amphibious warships will be commissioned in 2015.

Source: qianzhan.com “Accidental revelation of China-made aircraft carrier, unbelievable to Putin and Obama” (summary by Chan Kai Yee based on the report in Chinese)

Now who said that the Chinese is technologically challenged :p:

What exactly am I seeing in the large circle? A carrier?

No, they opted for the same as Liaoning for 001. EMALS and steam are not really the evolution of the latter. I don't think they have so much in common.

One uses steam to push the fighter off the deck, the other uses electricity. The similarity is there, but I think to create one from scratch is not that different one to the other in terms of time.

EMALS are more efficient/precise and require less maintenance. Better in every way.

Type 001>Type 001A >Type 002 > Type 003 Ski Jump, Steam, EMALS, Learning experience for the PLAN, the route most likely taken.

EMALS are more efficient/precise and require less maintenance. Better in every way.

Type 001>Type 001A >Type 002 > Type 003 Ski Jump, Steam, EMALS, Learning experience for the PLAN, the route most likely taken.

EMALS is way better, it uses computer controls, no need to look out for steam leaks, and more accurate and everything.

But the reason for steam is that at the time, computers and reactors of today aren't there. It is today. Chinese car companies didn't start making cars by making one from 1924 design, but made it with what's available to them it may not be the best, but it's still better.

steam doesn't translate into EMALS, EMALS is unique and doesn't really have many principles that has to have experience with steam to know.

Doing steam would not be the right move, it would distract from EMALS research, it's not like steam tech is ready made. We need all hands on deck for EMALS and nuke reactor tech.

I can't find a link to any article talking about EMALS confirmed on the first carrier.

The hull under construction in the picture is too small to be a 70,000 tone plus aircraft carrier, if in deed it is a navy ship it will most likely be a LHA or a helicopter carrier of 40,000 tons class. The picture was taken at Shanghai Jiang Nan shipyard.

China's first indigenious airctaft carrier will be built at Dalian shipyard and will be similar to but larger than CV16 Liaoning but with improved designs based on result of testings and experimentations done on CV16 Liaoning. We will see similar progression of China's aircraft carriers as in destroyers, i.e. from 051B - 052B - 052C - 052D and 055.

China should skip steam catapult and concentrate on Maglev catapult on her first nuclear power aircraft carrier because China has more experience and know how on this field, albeit on civilian application.

To push 20 tonnes of metal to 250km/hr speed in less than 2 seconds will require a huge eletricity generator powered by nuclear reactor. I am not sure how many megawatt of power is needed, some of you from engineering school may be able to calculate for us.

Last edited:
The hull under construction in the picture is too small to be a 70,000 tone plus aircraft carrier, if in deed it is a navy ship it will most likely be a LHA or a helicopter carrier of 40,000 tons class. The picture was taken at Shanghai Jiang Nan shipyard.

China's first indigenious airctaft carrier will be built at Dalian shipyard and will be similar to but larger than CV16 Liaoning but with improved designs based on result of testings and experimentations done on CV16 Liaoning. We will see similar progression of China's aircraft carriers as in destroyers, i.e. from 051B - 052B - 052C - 052D and 055.

China should skip steam catapult and concentrate on Maglev catapult on her first nuclear power aircraft carrier because China has more experience and know how on this field, albeit on civilian application.

To push 20 tonnes of metal to 250km/hr speed in less than 2 seconds will require a huge eletricity generator powered by nuclear reactor. I am not sure how many megawatt of power is needed, some of you from engineering school may be able to calculate for us.

I don't know the exact number, my physics sucks, I never used it much after high school. But the Ford can power two cities.

But I suspected that the Ford can also fire some sort of rail gun, or some sort of new weapon too and that's the reason for this power.

I don't know the exact number, my physics sucks, I never used it much after high school. But the Ford can power two cities.

But I suspected that the Ford can also fire some sort of rail gun, or some sort of new weapon too and that's the reason for this power.

A railgun on an aircraft carrier??? Think something else that requires that much power.

This hull is actually a 2/3 mockup module of the Type 003 supercarrier.

China’s new aircraft carrier being built at a shipard

Recently, Jane’s Defence Weekly has exposed a true photo of China’s homegrown aircraft carrier that it claims to have obtained from Google.

US experts have checked the photo and found that the carrier is installed with an electromagnetic catapult, a technology that the US has just gained mastery and only uses it on one of its carriers, the Ford.

There have been reports that the PLA plans to spend $20 billion to get two aircraft carrier combat groups. If so, the PLA will be the most powerful in East Asia and perhaps, the entire Asia.

In addition, China is building lots of other warships. According to Kanwa Defence Review, China is building a few 35,000-ton amphibious attack warships, each of which can carry 4 Zubr LCACs and 20 helicopters. China has obtained one Zubr LCAC from Ukraine. It is expected the such amphibious warships will be commissioned in 2015.

Source: qianzhan.com “Accidental revelation of China-made aircraft carrier, unbelievable to Putin and Obama” (summary by Chan Kai Yee based on the report in Chinese)

Now who said that the Chinese is technologically challenged :p:

Congrats.

BTW give link for article.

Negative for a steam-powered catapult which is so damn inefficient
It is a big headache and it takes a long time to heat up and gather enough steam
also to generate steam, you need fresh water vis a vis the installation of a huge water tank or a mini desalination plant
the latter is possible only if a nuke generator is in place because it demands a lot of fuel and energy

I believe it will be EMALs abled and a CVN

Assuming that memory serves accurately, the photograph posted here is very old and isn't a CV.

Back
Top Bottom