What's new

Islam and science: The road to renewal - ECONOMIST

There are no such beliefs,there are only assumptions in science.Don't mix them up and create confusion.

YOU are the one who is confused. As assumption which can NEVER be proven is called an article of faith.

An assumption is a proposition that is taken for granted, as if it were true based upon presupposition without preponderance of the facts.Belief directs us towards making decisions(a proposition) more on those beliefs than facts if available, whereas assumptions may be based on neither fact nor belief, but merely the possible.These assumptions can often be proven wrong by conducting experiments.

There are scientist who assume laws of nature are the same throughout space and time and others don't.Both groups are trying to prove there sides.

No, there are not.

The basic assumption about the invariability of nature's laws lies at the heart of science. If you didn't ASSUME that the laws of nature are invariant, then the cornerstone of science -- reproducibility of results -- would collapse.

(P.S. If you are referring to the fact that the "laws of nature break down" within a black hole's event horizon or at a singularity, then that is a different concept altogether. What that statement is saying is that our mathematical tools for describing nature's laws break down, i.e. we hit zeroes and infinities in our equations.)

There are scientists who postulate that certain laws of nature considered inviolate, like the speed of light, were different in the past, but they only do so by anchoring their claims on lower level mechanisms. At the end of the day, there are a handful of cosmological constants, like the Planck length and the units of quantum particles' spin, electric charge, etc., which are magic numbers. There is no explanation why these numbers are the way they are; they simply are and we take them and work with them.

As the Einstien said The most incomprehensible thing about the universe is that it is comprehensible.One day we will figure that one out too.I have more confidence in the methods of science, based on the amazing record of science and its ability over the centuries to answer unanswerable questions, than I do in the methods of faith(BTW,I've no idea what they are??)

You are begging the question since you don't understand, or accept, the fact that, at the lowest level, there are unprovable assumptions (call them axioms) in science. It is irrelevant whether you accept it or not, since it has been proved mathematically that it is so.

Sir it was always Shariah and they were nothing before HAZRAT MUHAMMAD SAW not made progress in science they were busy in drinking and burying girls and fighting with each other all the time and all other kind of evils after HAZRAT MUHAMMAD SAW they started focusing on development of education of all kinds
Again, NO. Most of the scientific progress during the "Dark ages in Europe" was carried out by Persians (present day Iran). Shariah had nothing to do with it. It was more of a culture thing, with the Persians being hungry for scientific progress. Advent of Islam, then, did not interfere with the Persians' quest for knowledge. As for the Arabs, the less said the better. Islam did not do any good to them. Apologies for any offence with that statement.

Again, NO. Most of the scientific progress during the "Dark ages in Europe" was carried out by Persians (present day Iran). Shariah had nothing to do with it. It was more of a culture thing, with the Persians being hungry for scientific progress. Advent of Islam, then, did not interfere with the Persians' quest for knowledge. As for the Arabs, the less said the better. Islam did not do any good to them. Apologies for any offence with that statement.
Sir even Persians were not very advanced before Islam if you see in science all of the got on right track after coming to Islam and Persians have contributed a lot to Islam and Science in both fields

If you lot have a fraction of an idea of the work I am doing in the labs here everyday you would bow your head in shame for even daring to utter half the none sense I read in the posts here.

I think it is justified to feel that way and I expected as much when I made that comment. I realize that there are Muslims who have wholeheartedly earned what I believe is not representative of us all. I don't expect others to devote their life to understanding Muslims, but I don't agree with the assertion that all, or even most of us, project hatred and intolerance. In my time in Canada, Pakistan, and on this forum, I have met many who categorically and quite vocally reject the same people who you find so deplorable. There are many Muslims condemning Muslims for the same wrong doings you condemn them for. It is then, the idea that all Muslims are somehow intolerant of those around them, that I find misleading. To those of us who detest extremism as much as the next non-Muslim, we do feel we are misunderstood.
But like I said before, my issues with Islam is not confined to extremism. War is an extreme form of diplomacy, to rephrase what Von Clausewitz said. It is a rarity in human relations, in a manner of speaking. Societies usually attempts to resolve differences through more peaceful, if not friendly, ways. So let us put aside extremism for now.

I consider myself a 'man of science', even though I am too much of a numbskull to go beyond the engineering stage and into hard core science. What I said back in post 199, regarding when Muslims can 'say and do anything', encompasses more than just extremism but to include things like how the Quran is a never ending source of scientific knowledge and that us non-Muslims must acknowledge that so called 'fact'.

What are we to make of that when it has been the non-Muslims who have been making -- pretty much -- all the major scientific and engineering progresses in the world within the last 200 yrs? Irrational it may be, but that assertion about the Quran bothers me more than even the extremism of Al-Qaeda. At least the political justifications for what made Al-Qaeda what it is have some semblance of logic to them.

While it is amusingly observed by some that it is ironic that a non-Muslim invention -- the Internet -- is being used by the Muslims to propagate that nonsense, it is puzzling and even frustrating to non-Muslim working engineers and scientists that their creations, labor, blood, sweat, tears, and even deaths, are being diminished publicly by a community that contributed little since the Industrial Revolution. For example, Marie Curie died of radiation poisoning from her pioneering work in hard core science. While there are legitimate issues with chauvinism and women in our non-Muslim societies, the fact that a society where women are oppressed beyond what Curie experienced claims that their holy book have been predicting this and that scientific discoveries all this time is a great and extreme offense to working scientists and engineers the world over.

It is equal measures of us who are amused and who are angry. I belong to the latter group. We view the gent who, in this discussion propagate the assertion that the Quran predicted all the current scientific discoveries, as our version of 'extremist Islam'. And we who labored in science are expected to give way to that meme out of the fear of being branded negatively.

What is a meme, for the benefit of members who may not be aware of this word...

Meme - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
..."an idea, behavior or style that spreads from person to person within a culture." A meme acts as a unit for carrying cultural ideas, symbols or practices, which can be transmitted from one mind to another through writing, speech, gestures, rituals or other imitable phenomena. Supporters of the concept regard memes as cultural analogues to genes in that they self-replicate, mutate and respond to selective pressures.
Indeed, the meme that the Quran is a never ending source of scientific knowledge is popular enough among the Muslims that I dare say that this form of 'extremist Islam' is even more popular and prevalent than the military styled extremist Islam of Al-Qaeda. We have a dedicated sector of our society to counter the 'extremist Islam' of Al-Qaeda: the military. When the military clash with Al-Qaeda, their members are not made to feel ashamed for what they do in the line of duty. But when members of the scientific and engineering community speak to challenge Islamist claims about the 'scientific' Quran, an extremist form of Islam in its own right, we are labeled as 'phobes' and bigots and that we should be ashamed of ourselves for our insensitivity.

That is an interesting take. I don't believe being a Muslim and a sane human being has to be mutually exclusive. Attaching one's self to a higher calling is not the issue. Why does this higher calling have to be a specific brand of extremist Islam? Of hate and intolerance? I have no problem identifying as a Muslim first, but why should that Muslim identity be the one you proposed? Can we not be peaceful and accepting of others?
I did not proposed any version of Islam. I only said that when you subscribe to a higher cause, you are beyond your own base biological self. Effectively, you became a greater human being and helped, to any degree, to advance humanity, and it is through these subscriptions throughout history that subsequent generations owe an unpayable debt. If there are versions of Islam-ism, or of Christian-ism, or of Buddha-ism, those -isms can only come from within each religion.

Whether a Muslim voluntarily subscribed or borned into Islam, he has complete freedom of will to delve into those different versions of Islam to suit his taste. However an 'extremist' version came to be, the burden of elimination, intellectual and moral methods, falls upon the members of this community, not on outsiders, provided that enough numbers of the community deem the extremist version to be too unpalatable or even poisonous to the community.

If you lot have a fraction of an idea of the work I am doing in the labs here everyday you would bow your head in shame for even daring to utter half the none sense I read in the posts here.

What's amusing and ironic is the people claiming a causal connection between Islam and scientific decay fail to make their case scientifically! Their arguments are rife with selective data sampling, fail to establish causality, lack any control data, etc, etc.

The irony is entertaining -- to say the least.

OK men stop fighting...

Being a scientist I feel obligued to laugh at what you lot have written to the point someone even pointed out Steve Paulson who mind you has a MASTERS in JOURNALISM AND MASS COMMUNICATION!!!! :rofl:

Not sure HOW scientific that is...IF he is accredited then why the heck am I doing research in Science? I might as well write an article to a famous publisher and get people like you to quote me!! :blink:

@Mosamania

I was just :rofl: about what they wrote though in the beginning I WAS :blink:

Apparently people doing research in science - you and me - know LESS than these lot who are tearing each other apart OVER ASSUMPTIONS, MISCONCEPTIONS, TWISTED READING AND NOT TO MENTION EVOLUTIONALISTS :hitwall: !

Last edited by a moderator:
What's amusing and ironic is the people claiming a causal connection between Islam and scientific decay fail to make their case scientifically! Their arguments are rife with selective data sampling, fail to establish causality, lack any control data, etc, etc.

The difference between Faith based and Evidence based way of thought is light years apart. There is no other, people who "Believe" in something without an unobjectionable Evidence are themselves practicing a form of religion, of which people here here seem to point fingers at.

Being objective, non biased and most apathic regarding the work to achieve "Evidence" is the hallmark of the true scientists and the it is the code I live by. I mean for Heaven's sake I am trying to connect a neuron impulse to a mechanical output device, least they can do is stop insulting me, my nation and my people while I am trying to do that fr the rest of humanity. But then again "Suffer thy ignorance".

@Developereo apparently you have not read about Avicenna, Al.razi, Geber (He is "considered by many to be the father of chemistry.) and many more (List of Muslim scientists - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) who laid the FOUNDATIONS of the scientific world!

The Great Muslim Scientists of All Time

At a time when people were not sure of SCIENCE, where the church smashed ideas, these people made the basics or FUNDAMENTS of science! They practiced Islam and did their research....they took time to understand that GOD wants them to explore and understand the world and what not...

What the people here are saying is that Scientific discoveries are not opposed by Islam nor does Islam oppose the discovery of new things...In fact the Quran POINTS at certain things which when one reads, understands...NO SCIENTIST can oppose!

I am a molecular biologist who understands this and has yet to find some nut job saying Islam is not in par with science and the otherway round....

And again I would like to say WHAT AN ARAB does or DOESNT do is not What ISLAM is ALL about...

I am not sure why you people get all ARAB about Islam! Shows HOW LESS you know about Islam!

Islam IS FOR THE AALAMEEN all of the universe it is for every era not for 14th century Arabia!

So shut that crap up and learn some basics! :enjoy:

@Developereo I am waiting.....Or was that all you needed to say?!

@Armstrong kiya hai yaar! larnay jhagar nay walaoun kay beech hummay summon ker diyea! They do not want to learn nor understand because they think they know it ALL!!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom