What's new

Is Mig-29 jets Good for Pakistan, For Maritime Attack?

It is not that simple that if any country is selling its jets, Pakistan should get those. Military procurements are made considering the needs / requirements.
On the other hand, time will come when PN will look for other options than the old Mirages for its Naval Aviation but not now. Instead of thinking about purchasing second hand aircrafts for PN, i think U-214 deal should be concluded because that is on more priority considering the strategic needs.

Mig-29 jets.......Maritime ........ if by any chance paf want those then they have to train piolts first to swim and second to fly a complicated jet. here i am focusing upon 2 things ( relaibility and complex avionics).:azn:

So its not good for us !

I agree:agree:

If Pakistan Navy is looking for Fighter jet squadron for meeting maritime security parameters here is my suggestion.

No1:
Chinese J-11B
475e30870d97f54e54219ad0091a6da0.jpg

NO2:
RAAF F/A 18 Hornets.( they are being replaced anytime soon)

Regards::pakistan:

Theres no possibility , even if PAF opted these jets Inadia and Russia will curb the deal...

No1:
Chinese J-11B

NO2:
RAAF F/A 18 Hornets.( they are being replaced anytime soon)

J-11B would definitely be a better option, provided the Russians don't intervene.
As far as F-18 is concerned, i think US would not allow RAAF to provide F-18s to Pakistan, and even by chance if Pakistan would get those it will again increase our dependence on US spares, plus more funds would be required to upgrade those F-18s and keep in good flying conditions, furthermore RAAF would be retiring F-18s around 2015.

Malaysia to phase out troublesome MiG-29 fighters
DATE:03/06/09
SOURCE:Flight International
Malaysia to phase out troublesome MiG-29 fighters
By Siva Govindasamy

Malaysia has announced plans to phase out its RSK MiG-29N fighters over the next few years, with the fleet having been plagued by problems since it bought the type in the early 1990s.

"I have decided that from next month, the aircraft will be phased out and we should find a way to sell them to certain companies or countries approved by the United Nations," Malaysia's new defence minister Ahmad Zahid Hamidi told the official Bernama news agency.

The minister did not say what would replace the MiG-29s, which are operated in an interceptor role. The Royal Malaysian Air Force is scheduled to receive its last six of 18 Sukhoi Su-30MKMs by year-end, and already operates eight Boeing F/A-18Ds and 13 BAE Systems Hawk 208s that are used in a light attack role.

Industry sources say Malaysia has encountered problems in obtaining spares for its 14 MiG-29s, and that maintenance has been an issue for a long while. A mid-life upgrade had been mooted as a possible solution to the problems, but sources say it would be cheaper over the long run to buy new fighters instead.

Kuala Lumpur already has a pending requirement for another 18 fighters. Observers believe that it could begin a competition in a few years and assess the Su-30, Boeing F/A-18F Super Hornet and potentially Saab's Gripen. The air force could now ask the defence ministry to increase the number of fighters it buys through this tender to replace the MiG-29s.

One problem, however, is Malaysia's tight defence budget. Last October, the global economic crisis forced it to delay a plan to buy Eurocopter EC725s to replace its army's Sikorsky S-61 "Nuri" utility helicopters.

It has also postponed a plan to buy eight airborne early warning and control system aircraft until the 10th Malaysia Plan, covering 2011-15, or even the subsequent plan, spanning 2016-20. The country also has requirements for maritime patrol aircraft and anti-submarine warfare helicopters.

because the increasing cost of operating MiG-29N,the middleman,and the fact that Royal Malaysian Air Force is searching for another MRCA aircraft to complement the existing Su-30MKM makes them to make the decision to retire the fulcrum.

MiG-29N itself is an air superiority aircraft.for maritime strike aircraft we got a squadron of F/A-18D equipped with harpoon missile.possible MiG-29N replacement is F/A-18F but Mindef is also considering other option,like eurofighter typhoon

Last edited:
^^^ Forget euros and everything , Join us in JF program we shall develop a sea patrol variant together !

what do you think?

buying MIG 29 even with spare parts i dont think so any clever AF will do becoz it is old tech and it is been replaced its avionics is old better buy new plane with latest tech rathar than old plane which almost cost more than new and im sure russia will make probleums for pakistan in spare parts ukraine will sell but still bad disicision i think better to buy old F 16 becoz old F 16 is superior to old MIG 29 models and we have experience in F 16 but i think PAF should put its full commitment on J 10B rathar than old tech but there is one more option france is looking customers of UAE Mirage 2000 so they can supply rafale to uae for Mirage UAE wants customers for Mirage VIA france and i dont see france have any probleum selling them in half prize to pakistan nor do UAE and pakistani pilots and engineers have experience with this bird and pakistan have its logistics and missile system in paf basses and we can use them in anti sea missions. i hope u got it MIRAGE 2000 if PAF looking to sharpen its teeth and we can get it in loan tranfer if we play our foreign policy well in this matter

MiG 29s are dual engined platforms! which becomes a budgetary nightmatre for a cash starved airforce like the PAF! we are better off with single engine platforms like all our frontline fighters!

our j-6s were "dual engined", but yeah ur rite its really costly to maintain them and i think this why malaysia is replacing those beasts

buying MIG 29 even with spare parts i dont think so any clever AF will do becoz it is old tech and it is been replaced its avionics is old better buy new plane with latest tech rathar than old plane which almost cost more than new and im sure russia will make probleums for pakistan in spare parts ukraine will sell but still bad disicision i think better to buy old F 16 becoz old F 16 is superior to old MIG 29 models and we have experience in F 16 but i think PAF should put its full commitment on J 10B rathar than old tech but there is one more option france is looking customers of UAE Mirage 2000 so they can supply rafale to uae for Mirage UAE wants customers for Mirage VIA france and i dont see france have any probleum selling them in half prize to pakistan nor do UAE and pakistani pilots and engineers have experience with this bird and pakistan have its logistics and missile system in paf basses and we can use them in anti sea missions. i hope u got it MIRAGE 2000 if PAF looking to sharpen its teeth and we can get it in loan tranfer if we play our foreign policy well in this matter

But aren't MIRAGE 2000 expensive

Back
Top Bottom