What's new

Is India exploring options with visa to Taliban leader?

third eye

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
Is India exploring options with visa to Taliban leader? - The Times of India

NEW DELHI: The Centre's decision to give a visa to Taliban leader Mullah Abdul Salam Zaeefhas triggered speculation whether the government is exploring options, keeping in view the chaos that many fear will reign in Afghanistan after withdrawal of the US and NATO troops from the war-ravaged country next year.

"It was a conscious decision to facilitate his visa due to certain considerations," said sources in the ministry of home affairs which was instrumental in the controversial decision, leading many to wonder whether New Delhi is bracing for a situation where it might have to deal with the fundamentalist group which turned Afghanistan into a sanctuary for terrorists and a laboratory for a rigid form of Islam.

MHA sources made it plain that visa for the Taliban leader was not an oversight, emphasizing that the intelligence agencies were very much in the loop.
While the Taliban was considered beyond the pale by the international community post-9/11, its tenacity and the likelihood that it will be factor to reckon with after the pullout of the foreign forces has led the US and other nations to recalibrate their approach towards the bunch.

Zaeef, a close associate of Mullah Omar who headed the Taliban government in Afghanistan before the US invasion in the wake of the terror attack on New York, attended the Think Fest in Goa: a high brow event where Union ministers were also present.

The decision to let him in contrasted with the home ministry's stringent checks on visa applicants from Afghanistan, Pakistan and other high-risk countries: a precaution which is extended even to people wishing to visit their relatives here.

Intriguingly, the foreign ministry said it had not been consulted or told about the visit.

Oh the 'Good Taliban' - :D
Although I am surprised at the visa granting, this isnt the the "Good taliban vs bad Taliban" debate. GoI is being pragmatic here, considering what's at stake post US/NATO withdrawal in Afghanistan, keeping in mind its interests in the region. Me thinks, and I hope this be true, this has more to do with - "if you cant wreck havoc with out, wreck havoc from within".

Although I am surprised at the visa granting, this isnt the the "Good taliban vs bad Taliban" debate. GoI is being pragmatic here, considering what's at stake post US/NATO withdrawal in Afghanistan, keeping in mind its interests in the region. Me thinks, and I hope this be true, this has more to do with - "if you cant wreck havoc with out, wreck havoc from within".

I always figured my neighbors could never justify such a step, but then again its good to be pragmatic rather than believing any other way was remotely possible. The posts for the last 4 years suggest exactly the opposite of what you just said. You wouldnt want "bad" taliban or any taliban getting the red carpet invitation right? Firstly I am not sure about this development. Its best to wait on better sources.

" Give me the man and I'll give you the rule'

This is how the world works.

See; right now the situation in Afghanistan is so unpredictable that even the (erstwhile) main players there cannot even attempt to say with any degree of certainty what will happen in the future.
There is a great deal of re-adjustment and jockeying that is going on as a consequence of that.
Not to overlook the fact that Iran is being re-introduced into the scenario (probably in a bigger way than anyone can imagine). These 'jaw-jaw' transactions are all part of that. Many more wheels within wheels than can be imagined. Even the Taliban (or correctly speaking, some parts of them) are getting into the act.

India is willing to talk to Taliban, this is center's policy. India wants peaceful kashmir and Indo - Pak border.

What's taliban role in this

we should not trust these talibanis

Taliban are key to India's Afghanistan and Central asian policy, Also these guys do not hold any grudge against India unlike Punjab based groups like LET.

Taliban are key to India's Afghanistan and Central asian policy, Also these guys do not hold any grudge against India unlike Punjab based groups like LET.
they are terrorists for god sake ! how can we trust them?!

How do u know they don't hold any grudge... when USA will leave these will be one those morons doing jihad in Kashmir

BAD MOVE

they are terrorists for god sake ! how can we trust them?!

How do u know they don't hold any grudge... when USA will leave these will be one those morons doing jihad in Kashmir

BAD MOVE

No Taliban has entered in Kashmir after USSR war in Afghanistan, nor any taliban have intentions to fight in kashmir. Do not forget that Pakistani establishment went to these guys for holding the heights in Kargil, But they refused.

Secondly cutting a deal with these guys will make it easier for India rather than adding enemies.

I support GoI's move to talk to taliban. If we can talk to kashmiri mlitants, assamese and the other NE ones, why cant we talk to taliban. They dont even affect our sovereignty.
As to pakistan, its for them to decide whether to talk or not. But capitulating to their demand and allowing them to overrun their own territory will be seen negatively.

One of the videos they showed of Hakimullah after his death in which he was giving an interview had him saying he along with his compatriots would wage a war against India and people think they have nothing against India? Well its a political suicide if the sources are correct.

Back
Top Bottom