What's new

Is America a failed State?

bolshevik marxism is a degenerate ideology

America needs to revert back to industrialization.....straight-cut politics post WW-2

obama and co. have destroyed its credibility

they need another Reagan ....it's a country of great people run by lobbyists who have led them totally astray.

the new world order awaits

Industrialization? How much more industrialization you want? :D

Modern economies are services based...PS, as the world becomes globalized, there comes division of labor on national level..Americans just can't go and start producing heavy machinery like Germany or cheap/efficient cars like Japan..

America remains the top dog...what else is needed? These little glitches are normal part of history. America will recover...like always.

I have a somewhat random question for you and other Pakistani users here. I've always wondered what your people have really thought of the U.S. and Americans in general. I would assume that most Pakistanis regard the U.S. extremely negatively as of now, and perhaps for good reason.

Pakistanis, like any intelligent nation (not like the a$$lickers like we have on our east), hate/disapprove America's policies of madness and colonialism in Muslim World,specially in Pakistan.

Other than that, Pakistanis have outmost respect for American science and technology, Americans' honesty and hard work, and their achievements...simple.

Republicans are pieces of sh!t..They don't even have a good candidate..Ron Paul was one..but Republicans are too dumb to elect him. Probably his son, Rand Paul, has a chance..never know...

But why do you like republicans more than democrats?

Is not that really I like them more per say,it's just that the democrats under Obama had so many failings:

1.They are really weak in the international political arena.
2.Domestic wise- they've given the impression that they're egging for a race war with Eric Holder beeing their poster boy on playing the race card whenever possible.-Absolutely horrifying stance on immigration.

Is not that really I like them more per say,it's just that the democrats under Obama had so many failings:

1.They are really weak in the international political arena.
2.Domestic wise- they've given the impression that they're egging for a race war with Eric Holder beeing their poster boy on playing the race card whenever possible.-Absolutely horrifying stance on immigration.

lol, if anything, Obama has saved America from more embarrassment and long term disasters. What do you mean by 'weak' on political arena? America is just saving itself from the curse dumb republicans brought...

And race card? If anything, Republicans are FAMOUS for using it....And what exactly you find horrifying in Obama's immigration stance?

Millions of illegals are living here anyways..It would be better to bring them under U.S and collect taxes from them, increasing the revenues of the state...whats wrong?

This is just going to devastate republican chances next house election. Just like it did in 1994 when the government shut down. It has happened before and so shall it happen again.

lol, if anything, Obama has saved America from more embarrassment and long term disasters. What do you mean by 'weak' on political arena? America is just saving itself from the curse dumb republicans brought...

And race card? If anything, Republicans are FAMOUS for using it....And what exactly you find horrifying in Obama's immigration stance?

Millions of illegals are living here anyways..It would be better to bring them under U.S and collect taxes from them, increasing the revenues of the state...whats wrong?

Nope,i find Obama weak,he was outsmarted by Putin ,he gave up on promises made to allies (missile shield in Europe) thus making him and american policies untrustworthy.

Everything is wrong with accepting millions of immigrants at once,he should find ways to deport them and stop that "no human beeing is illegal" crap.Let's be blunt about it the democrats are only changing the votes pool so they can count on millions of votes from immigrants just like labour did in the UK.That is wrong in so many ways.

Anyway,overall i think that the whole democratic system is flawed in the US starting by the way voting is done and ending with that quasi dictatorial 2 party system.2 faced democracy,if it ain't white is black ? How about more options ? That is democracy !

Perhaps not truly failed state, but one with deeply flawed government.
Oh...Pleeease...As if THAT is a shocker and as if there is a perfect government. :rolleyes:

I doubt you can back that up.

Pakistanis, like any intelligent nation (not like the a$$lickers like we have on our east), hate/disapprove America's policies of madness and colonialism in Muslim World,specially in Pakistan.

Two things about your statement stick out for sheer absurdity.

1) The notion that Pakistan is an intelligent nation. One would need to go back to first principles on what it meant to be intelligent in such case.

2) The sad truth that when you give alms to a beggar, you do so for your own karma. Because expecting the beggar to be grateful is an exercise in futility.

I doubt you can back that up.

Oh pul-eeeseeeee.......

:rolleyes:

Anyways, Republicans scuk balls! They're gonna looooooooossssseeeeee yet again...Inshallah! :)

Hillary 2016-2023

Michelle Obama 2023-2027

and then Republicans can try elections.... :D

Immigration reform will snatch even texas from republicans ....lol

Republicans are Muslim haters...Democrats stand by Islamic Community....

Young Muslims will work in our areas for Democrats, against Republicans (unless Republican candidate is a good man like Ron Paul etc)... I heard Muslim activists played a crucial role in the defeat of that retarded, anti-Muslim republican dumbo..Allen West...now he goes to fox news as "commentator" ... :lol:

By Mick Krever, CNN

NASA’s unmanned Voyager 2 spacecraft may have put it best when it “tweeted” from beyond the solar system: “Farewell, humans. Sort it out yourselves.”

Most employees at NASA are now among the million U.S. government employees on forced leave because congress has failed to pass a spending bill, forcing a shutdown.

The world is watching in seeming disbelief. So, is America a failed state?

Not quite, but the apparent failure of the American congress to govern certainly raises the question. If we were covering some of the far-flung failing states we often do, we’d know just how to put it.

“The capital’s rival clans find themselves at an impasse, unable to agree on a measure that will allow the American state to carry out its most basic functions. … The current crisis has raised questions in the international community about the regime’s ability to govern this complex nation of 300 million people.”

That, of course, was a satirical post; it appeared in the online magazine Slate, but it just about fits.

A small cabal of representatives in the House have blocked passage of a government spending bill, and are threatening to default on America’s debts, because they disagree with a bill, Obamacare, passed by congress three years ago.

At stake, unlike a “Banana Republic” is the world’s largest economy and the currency of global trade.

Not to mention those out of work, medical projects halted, and the lost revenue from tourists – Yosemite National Park, now shuttered, draws in $350 million a year to the local economy.

“I think the rest of the world thinks it’s so incredible they don’t believe it,” British broadcaster and publisher Andrew Neil told CNN’s Christiane Amanpour on Tuesday. “We’re used to dysfunctional governments in Italy or Greece or some banana republic. But a basic function of government to set tax and spend and agree on a budget.”

The current crisis, the failure to pass a budget that forced a shutdown, is nothing next to the possibility that America would default on its debts.

“The U.S. bonds are by far the most important in the world – they’re the benchmark for the rest of our borrowing in the world,” Neil said. “If the America, of all countries, can’t service it, we are potentially into a financial crisis much bigger than the one sparked off my Lehman Brothers.”

It is a scary potential, but some House republicans seem all too willing to flirt with disaster – all in the name of defunding Obamacare and reducing spending.

Ryan Lizza, CNN contributor and Washington correspondent for The New Yorker, said that the root cause is the seemingly ludicrous idea among some conservatives that a default – which has never before happened – would be good, because it would spark a debate about spending.

“If you read the conservative press closely,” Lizza told Amanpour, “there’s an argument that has taken hold among some of these folks that a default on the debt would not be as catastrophic as some people think would it be.”

So how can it come to this?

It would certainly be going too far to call America a “failed state,” but it is no doubt in the back of the minds of many around the world.

“The issue isn’t really healthcare – it’s much more fundamental than that,” Neil told Amanpour.

“Americans love their constitution. They think it’s one of the greatest political constructions the world has ever known – and it is,” he said. “But it has the complicated system of checks and balances, which if it doesn’t operate leads to a rigor mortis that would be inconceivable in a parliamentary democracy like Germany or the United Kingdom.”

Neil was a White House correspondent in the 1980s when Tipp O’Neill (a “liberal democrat out of the Boston machine”) was speaker of the House and Ronald Reagan (a “radical Republican from California”) was president.

But “none of this ever happened,” he told Amanpour, “because they had a basic respect for each other and they knew they had to compromise in the end.”

The group of radical Republicans currently in the House, he said, seem to have no interest in doing so.

Lizza told Amanpour that those Republicans forced their Republican leader, John Boehner, to take this course of action.

“Eighty very conservative Republicans,” Lizza told Amanpour, “who won their districts by an average of thirty four points – in other words they don’t care about Democrats opposing them, they only care about Republicans primarying them – they forced Boehner to do this.”

Indeed, Neil agreed, the Tea Party Republicans hate Boehner “almost as much” as they hate President Obama.

Boehner has blamed the president for failing to negotiate, but Obama has rejected that wholesale.

“I shouldn't have to offer anything,” President Obama told NPR. “They're not doing me a favor by paying for things that they have already approved for the government to do. That's part of their basic function of government; that's not doing me a favor.”

Both Neil and Lizza agreed that this was a “systematic” problem that has resulted in a “dysfunctional democracy,” as Neil put it.

“America’s good at lecturing the rest of the world on governance,” Neil told Amanpour. “I think the rest of the world is going to need to give America a few lectures on governance.”
Is America a failed State? – Amanpour - CNN.com Blogs

no its not, but its turning into an totalitarian state slowly. its very sad to see how our liberties in this great nation get taken away every day. the police is too powerful, the patriot act basically flushes the bill of rights down the toilet, there are cameras every where, property laws and zoning codes are ridiculous, government heavily regulates tobacco but refuses to touch medical companies who charge 1000% + for costs of meds and medical services compared to other countries so basically a lower middle-class person without insurance can go bankrupt if he breaks a leg.

I see a lot of "reluctant fundamentalists" out here.

Wonder how many would have the balls to come back to their motherland.

wow.....the amount of misconceptions and preprogrammed stereotypes in this thread are mind numbing......but i guess to try and seriously ( caveat #1) answer the question you need to answer what was America trying to achieve at its inception and what has it achieved so far almost 300 years later.....so if you were to ask the founding fathers if the USA of today has become the dream they once had.....the answer would be no......hell no.......they would be shocked at what weve become.........but if you ask the current power behind these paid actors we call politicians if the USA is failing in THEIR vision of what they want to happen to the country and what they want to achieve with the machine that is our country......im sure they woukd say yes.....

in my personal view......the country was put on a path to failure a long time ago.......we were never and are not today the land of the free or the home of the brave.......we are mindless consumerist chattle.......nothing more........our citizens serve capital and its interests........the soul that was America is dead.......but who cares because we have alot of fancy boats and planes and our bankers make a lot of monopoly money out of thin air and weve had the whole world scared of us for a long time.....so if some consider that success rather than failure......then maybe we arent a failed state...............just depends on your perspective........

we live in Oz and the USA is the wizard.......one day soon.....the curtain will be lifted..........then you will all be in a better position to really judge........right now we only have actors and theater..........

wow.....the amount of misconceptions and preprogrammed stereotypes are mind numbing......but i guess to try and seriously ( caveat #1) answer the question you need to answer what was America trying to achieve at its inception and what has it achieved so far almost 300 years later.....so if you were to ask the founding fathers if the USA of today has become the dream they once had.....the answer would be no......hell no.......they would be shocked at what weve become.........but if you ask the current power behind these paid actors we call politicians if the USA is failing in THEIR vision of what they want to happen to the country and what they want to achieve with the machine that is our country......im sure they woukd say yes.....

in my personal view......the country was put on a path to failure a long time ago.......we were never and are not today the land of the free or the home of the brave.......we are mindless consumerist chattle.......nothing more........our citizens serve capital and its interests........the soul that was America is dead.......but who cares because we have alot of fancy boats and planes and our bankers make a lot of monopoly money out of thin air and weve had the whole world scared of us for a long time.....so if some consider that success rather than failure......then maybe we arent a failed state...............just depends on your perspective........

we live in Oz and the USA is the wizard.......one day soon.....the curtain will be lifted..........then you will all be in a better position to really judge........right now we only have actors and theater..........

You're still (and will continue to be) the biggest dog with the loudest bark and the biggest teeth.

You could have done a lot worse.

like I said........its all a matter of perspective.............some dreams are grand and glorious.............others are petty and mean things..........

You're still (and will continue to be) the biggest dog with the loudest bark and the biggest teeth.

You could have done a lot worse.

Back
Top Bottom