What's new

Iranian Arabs

What is a bear boar ? google didn't gave anything :)

Oh I see, these motherf.cking boars are everywhere , sometimes you see them passing in the middle of road in packs of tens , I came across to this 2 times but I was sleeping in car in both cases :D

Is there bear in Iran ? must be northern areas, just like here.

Oh I see, these motherf.cking boars are everywhere , sometimes you see them passing in the middle of road in packs of tens , I came across to this 2 times but I was sleeping in car in both cases :D

Is there bear in Iran ? must be northern areas, just like here.
:rofl::omghaha: yes at least in place i living :D

@al-Hasani a short introduction to Ahvaz from Press TV or as you call them Piss TV lol.

PS pay attention to the name of the Governor at 3:30, I think that will interest you. :lol:

@SinaG

Thank for that video. Haha, yes, I noticed his first name and surname.;)
I watched a few similar reports about Bushehr, Abadan and Bandar Abbas.

I'm sorry, I was logged out for some reason and I couldn't log back in! It was a very strange occurrence!

No problem. Ask me whatever you like, I will try to answer your questions to the best of my ability.

By the way, I'm originally from Ahwaz, so I might be able to answer your questions in that regard as well.

No need to apologize. I was not around either.

It's good to hear that there is a close relation with the Iranian Arabs and Bakhtiaris (Lurs) etc. This basically confirms the scenario across the Gulf.

I read a bit more about the Arabs of the Southern provinces of Iran (outside just Khuzestan) and they seem to have come before and after the Arab Muslim conquest. I was even surprised to learn that parts of Southern Iran, including the main port city Bandar Abbas, was under Omani rule not long ago (2-3 centuries ago). Most of the Arabs seem to come from either nearby Najd or Eastern Arabia originally. Just like the case is with the Arabs of Khuzestan. At least the tribes they belong to.

Although there seem to be exceptions. For instance the famous poet Abu Nawas's father belonged to the Banu Hakam tribe and his family came from Jazan in Southern KSA while his mother was Persian. Born in Ahwaz though.

Abu Nuwas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://ar.wikipedia.org/wiki/حكم_(قبيلة)

Well, regarding my questions then I wanted to ask about the cuisine of the Lurs people that I understand you are a part of? How similar is it to other cuisines of the region and what distinguishes it from the others if that is the case?
I also wanted to ask if the Lurs, in particular the Bakhtiaris which I understood where the biggest Lurs tribe, have a code of honor? Also how they view hospitality and if they were traditionally warrior like people? I ask because it seems to me that they have a lot of similarities with Bedouins who are unlike other Arabs and considered a subgroup. Similar to how Lurs are a Iranian speaking people and a subgroup of the largest Iranian group in Iran (Persians). Also both seemed and to a smaller degree are still semi-nomadic so that's another similar feature.

Then I also wanted to know how similar the cuisine of Khuzestan is compared to the Southern regions of Iran? From the short reports I watched on PressTV I got those facts: Khuzestani cuisine is spicier than most cuisine in Iran, Bandar Abbas is the main fishing spot in Iran and where seafood is eaten the most and if I recall either Bushehr or Bandar Abbas was famous for its spicy cuisine and even one person that they interviewed (from Southern Iran) told that this is because the people are hotheaded.:lol:

Thank you. I also noticed that 10% of Iran's entire population live in Khuzestan which is otherwise not a big province. So densely populated. It also seem to be one of the agricultural heartlands of Iran.

Lastly then the Khorasani Arabs seem really interesting but I am yet to see an Iranian from Khorasan so I guess my questions regarding them will be left unanswered for now at least.:)

Oh, regarding the wild boars and the talk about them then they are present in the mountainous regions of Hijaz and all the southern provinces of KSA. They are growing in numbers and becoming a huge problem. Not enough of them are shot and since they are pork nobody eats them for obvious reasons. But they are damaging the nature. Just like the monkeys who are too many around cities such as Ta'if. They have been known to attack people.

Last edited:
I read a bit more about the Arabs of the Southern provinces of Iran (outside just Khuzestan) and they seem to have come before and after the Arab Muslim conquest. I was even surprised to learn that parts of Southern Iran, including the main port city Bandar Abbas, was under Omani rule not long ago (2-3 centuries ago). Most of the Arabs seem to come from either nearby Najd or Eastern Arabia originally. Just like the case is with the Arabs of Khuzestan. At least the tribes they belong to.

Iran was never under Oman's rule! Actually it is the other way around.

Oman :: The early period -- Encyclopedia Britannica

In the timeline that you are referring to, 2 to 3 centuries ago, Iran was under Safavid rule (278 years ago). Even under Afshar (218 years ago), Zand (220 years ago) and Qajar (89 years ago) dynasties Iranians have always maintained control over the provinces you mentioned.

Iran under Safavid rule

Safavid_Empire_1501_1722_AD.png

Iran under Nader rule
AfsharidEmpireIran.png

Iran under Qajar rule

Map_Iran_1900-en.png

As you can see in all three maps, Iran has full control over all its provinces you mentioned.
Before Reza Shah, Iran used to have a tribal system of government (tribal influence over the government policies), like present day Afghanistan, Iraq, Pakistan, etc... these tribes were given too much power that could in fact undermine central government's control over the country, but Reza Shah unified the country by limiting tribes powers.

Please allow me some time to respond to your other points. Its a very extensive subject that I need to explain, as there are not many English sources that I could use and I have to rely on my own knowledge of the subject, which I have to check for accuracy. ;)

@Ahriman

Oman was a quite influential power until the British became the dominant force of the ME, Arabian Sea and Indian Ocean. For instance Oman had colonies in not only the ME but also extended colonies in Africa and non-ME Asia such as Pakistan.

Please see this extract from the book "The Sultan's Shadow: One Family's Rule at the Crossroads of East and West".

The Sultan's Shadow: One Family's Rule at the Crossroads of East and West - Christiane Bird - Google Bøger

Another source:

From 1740 onward, control of the town was sold to various Arab rulers, and from c. 1780 it was controlled by Muscat (now a governorate of Oman). In 1868, during Oman's decline, the town reverted to Persian rule.

Farsictionary, English-Persian (Iranian History Glossary) : Bandar Abbas

Another source that also acknowledges the Omani fleet being the biggest of the region in that period after the British obviously:

From the book "War and Peace in Qajar Persia: Implications Past and Present"

War and Peace in Qajar Persia: Implications Past and Present - Google Bøger

The sources are pretty numerous. Even encyclopedias recognize it. Just google "Bandar Abbas Oman".;)

Thank you again. Also for that news regarding the detribalization and centralization of power.

Just take your time. No need to hurry.:)

Last edited:
@al-hassani
I've read some of your posts. I have some lur blood from my ancestors and my parents are from southern Iran. The cuisine of Abadan for example might have some similarities with arab cuisine of iraq (basra) or gulfstates, you might know zubaidi fish(halva sefid), hamour fish, sooboor fish, mutu (very small fish, don't know the english name), sun dried salted shrimps, etc. You might know ghaliye mahi (fish stew). When I was in Dubai I went to hatam restaurant, it was always full of arab and Iranian people and other nationalities who enjoyed the food, It's long time ago, so I don't remember if they served southern Iranian food.
Arabs and lurs,persians (persians from lar for example) of southern Iran have old ties and are ok with each other.
Lar, Iran - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

About cuisine of lurs, these people were a kind of nomadic Iranians, so I think that their food would be not much diverse. Probably milk, dooght, yoghurt from lamb milk,and kabab (made from lamb meat), traditional tea.
Doogh - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
There is a dish named kabab bakhtiari (bakhtiari tribe of lurs)
GbDccNRFkOPuAN-640m.jpg

The man who created the hashashins wasnt arab. His father was a Persian yemeni, as in ethnic Persian.

Anyways, I think if you go back in terms of lineage there are alot more ethnic Persians in arab countries, mainly bahrain, uae, kuwait, qatar and Iraq.

Sayeed also doesnt mean arab. It was just a religous title, if you were actually decendant of mohamed and his family that would still make you like 1% arab due to the mixing over the generations, lol.

My grandmother was supposedly sayeed, nothing arab about her though.

Btw, lurs and bakhtiaris are basicaly the bedouins of the Persian family, the nomads of the group. They speak a Persian dialect closely related to middle Persian pahlavi and old Persian, theyre not a seperate ethnic group. Same with Mazandaranis and gilakis.

Shah of Iran was half mazandarani Persian on his fathers side and central asian turkic on his mothers side.

This reminds me of a story of how many ethnic Persians were kicked out of Iraq by saddam, even half arab and Persians were kicked out who had Persian fathers.

Statistics mention 1 million ethnic Persians in Iraq with millions of others who have been arabized.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom