What's new

IPKF sent without asking army

IPKF was not prepared for the job it had been assigned to. Operational aspects,proper training for jungle warfare and arrangement of equipments needed time. But it was the job for the Army brass to inform the Civilian government about the intricacies of these operations. If you need time just say it on the face the politico brass just like Sam Manekshaw did in 1971.Complaining after so many years sounds ludicrous.

Do you really think military brass is complaining after so many years ???

this is important because
In Sam's words "I explained, that the first book, the first chapter, the first words, the first sentence God said was,
“Let there be light” and there was light. Now you say, “Let there be war” and there will be war, but are you prepared? I am certainly not. This is the end of April. The Himalayan passes are opening and there can be an attack from China if China gives us an ultimatum."

After everybody left the room,he said

“Yes! It is my job to tell you the truth” I responded, “and it is my job to fight, it is my job to fight to win and I have to tell you the truth.”

Actually this was the very reason too behind the 1962 fiasco,if you remember. Too many yes mans in the war cabinet costed humiliation which was rectified in 1965,but unfortunately repeated again during 1986-1987.

It works two ways ....Manekshaw had guts to speak up the truth ...and in Indira Gandhi there was a leader who respected the input from her military leaders and acted upon it ....she didn't force her way on military leadership ....she actually heeded their advise and postponed war for almost 6 months ....and we all know the result very well !

therefore the consultation with military leaders is imperative for success of any such military expedition ...something which didn't happen in case of IPKF ....

this is what military brass is trying to highlight ....something which our political leaders are not going to learn !

@Indo-guy:

If the civilian government had taken a decision to send forces in Srilanka,the Army is bound to obey that.The point is before stepping up in the Airplane,the forces must have been prepared for the job.This is the job of planners.Now,if you are not ready for the job it is your duty to inform the government about the limitations. Did the Army do that? If he claims that the Army were forced to enter in an war which was to be lost any way,then somebody like Brig.Dalvi should have come out and analyse the failure right after the debacle. The reason behind India's partly success in 1965 was isolating pure military decisions from Civilian intervention. If this blunder was repeated in 1987 like 1962 then proper probe should be done to sue the culprits for such a humiliating loss over 1800 lives.

@Indo-guy:

If the civilian government had taken a decision to send forces in Srilanka,the Army is bound to obey that.The point is before stepping up in the Airplane,the forces must have been prepared for the job.This is the job of planners.Now,if you are not ready for the job it is your duty to inform the government about the limitations. Did the Army do that? If he claims that the Army were forced to enter in an war which was to be lost any way,then somebody like Brig.Dalvi should have come out and analyse the failure right after the debacle. The reason behind India's partly success in 1965 was isolating pure military decisions from Civilian intervention. If this blunder was repeated in 1987 like 1962 then proper probe should be done to sue the culprits for such a humiliating loss over 1800 lives.

I look at it from other perspective - Civilian government shouldn't take unilateral decision based on just political compulsions ....

Did civilian government took military into confidence ?

Indeed if army is complaining and attributing the failure of IPKF to this reason alone then it should be investigated ...

I personally do not believe that military or civilian leadership should work as water-tight compartments ...there has to be sense of synergy and harmony in decisions being taken ....

in that sense I do not believe that we have to isolate military decisions from civilian interventions ...

all I am saying that mutual concerns needs to be addressed before any such crucial decisions are taken ....after all it is : one fall ....all fall equation .

Civilian leadership failed to take military onboard in its hasty decision to jump the bandwagon of Sri Lanka's internal strife ....
Rajiv Gandhi paid the price with not only his life but more than that ... that operation continues to extract heavy price even today from India !

You are justifying blunder of Civilian leadership and expecting Military to play savior !!!

what do you expect the military to do when Civilian leadership kept all reins without giving any breathing space to military in such an extra-ordinary military expedition on foreign soil ....

Here military leadership not only had to listen to defence but perhaps also foreign affairs ministry besides PMO !

again I believe if any operation to succeed ...it is important that it is drawn and acted , executed as one team ...

@Indo-guy:

I am not justifying blunders of Civilian leaderships. Why I am surprised is Indians repeated their mistakes again. I am surprised to see the lack of flexibility in the military top brass.What stopped them to say "No,we are not ready yet"? It is quite surprising to see that a professional force venturing in foreign soil without proper blue print,objective and planning but just out of political compulsion!! I agree that the Civilian government is responsible but it is the Military which should be accused of not defending their stance.

Last edited:
@Indo-guy:

I am not justifying blunders of Civilian leaderships. Why I am surprised is Indians repeated their mistakes again. I am surprised to see the lack of flexibility in the military top brass.What stopped them to say "No,we are not ready yet"? It is quite surprising to see that a professional force venturing in foreign soil without proper blue print,objective and planning but just out of political compulsion!! I agree that the Civilian government is responsible but the it is the Military which should be accused of not defending their stance.

@scorpionix
Does military in India enjoy such privilege ?

If military leadership stands up and questions government order - will that be tolerated ?

Military has tacitly showed its reservations against withdrawing AFSPA ....if government still presses ahead with withdrawal of AFSPA ...what military should do ? what it can do ?

Can it say that we are not ready to do our job in J & K ....because AFSPA is withdrawn ?

I am just giving contemporary example ...of AFSPA issue .

I am not comparing these two totally different issues .

what do you say about it ?

We are on same page.

so you think army just move when orders fly from PMO ???
Again , what to do is PMOs job. How to do is - Army's.

Sorry that sound like a complaint to me. Read my second post about consulting or I just write it down again for you. They should and would consult army but in any case it must not be made the responsibility of civilian govt.

Yes, it is a complaint, but the complaint is NOT that the army didn't make the decision, but rather that they were kept out of the decision making process, which if done would have given them time to prepare, and also to plan the campaign in a different fashion, and with clearer objectives.

we just responded to help call. It was a peace keeping force. Not invading one.
And soon the peace keeping force became a warfighting one, because of unclear reading of the situation.
they do reach Jafana.
So?

Same happened to US forces in Mogadishu. Ground realities do change rapidly.
Yes, that happened for one battle. Not for the entire campaign/war. You can bet that the US president will not send in the miitary without proper consultations. They have a very evolved mechanism and chain of command for the decision making process, and not simply "When we say go, you go."
Lets for sec assume then PM decided to consult COAS , what he would have said ??? Any PM ???
If he needed a advice he has advisers. He doesn't need the COAS for that.
It wasn't about asking him on whether to go or not, or about advice. It was about ongoing consultations in the months leading to the conflict. If the army brass was present with the civilian advisers for a few months prior to the campaign, then the army would have had time to plan better when it actually started.
All PM can do is tell his COAS about the decision and prepare to follow ASAP
And that has to change. The armed forces should be part of the whole process as well. That is the way it works in most other countries. Not just the USA, but also parliamentary democracies like UK and France and Israel. The armed forces are inolved in national security related issues. The authorization for war would of course still rest with the PM or president.
Less than the amount PA faced in WOT

( which Pak partnered )
I can do that too. So why not we both cut that and keep it to civilised discussion ???

Responses in red. Basically, I think you are misunderstanding what the demand here is. It is not whether the PM sould have asked the army chief's permission to go to war. It is that the decision making process (which happens for weeks or months) should include the top commanders. It is this misunderstanding that has led you and others to bring in the example of Manekshaw in '71. The question is not that the army should decide when to go to war (which is what the Sam/Indira episode was about), but the deeper question of how much involvement the armed forces should have in crafting our geopolitical strategy. After all, warfare is a continuation of state policy, it is not apart from it. It's not like the civilian leadership does statecraft, and when they finally decide to use the military they call the army chief. That's a simplistic view of how statecraft and soldiering go hand in hand - which is not to say that geopolitical decisions should be taken by the armed forces, but simply that they should be kept in the loop all the time on matters related to national security.

Keeping the armed forces at arms length served the British Indian army who only needed an army to control the people. But now that we are a sovereign nation, and the military is an arm of the state, and warfare is a means of state policy, the top brass should be involved in that aspect of statecraft that pertains to national security. We have to give up this deep rooted fear that involving the armed forces in statecraft would lead down a slippery slope where they will ultimately usurp the powers of the civilian authority and we would end up like another pakistan. Let us be clear - India is no pakistan, Indian army is no pak army. If the US army and Israeli army and European armies can have a measure of involvement in crafting strategy, I don't see why we should be afraid of letting our armed forces do so as well. This distrust of the armed forces has to go. We have to start using the armed forces to project national power (which doesn't mean going on pointless wars, but simply that Indian diplomacy has to include their presence). That is how all mature democracies function. And decisions like whether to use force or not will ultimately lie in the hands of the people, through the elected representatives. And I am only advocating greater involvement of the military in matters pertaining to strategy and security, not about having them run petrol pumps and schools and businesses, like in pakistan. We have to trust our military as much as other representative democracies trust theirs.

Yes, it is a complaint, but the complaint is NOT that the army didn't make the decision, but rather that they were kept out of the decision making process, which if done would have given them time to prepare, and also to plan the campaign in a different fashion, and with clearer objectives.
Thats correct. Let me put it again "Army is not supposed to be part of any political decision making. Thats the long standing code. Army is aways given directives. Cant write more clearly than this.
They did what they were supposed to do.

Yes, that happened for one battle. Not for the entire campaign/war. You can bet that the US president will not send in the miitary without proper consultations. They have a very evolved mechanism and chain of command for the decision making process, and not simply "When we say go, you go."
read Mark Bowden's Black Hawk down. You will have your answer. It was for entire campaign. The write is a investigative journalist and he was called by pantagon to present his reasearch before authorities.

It wasn't about asking him on whether to go or not, or about advice. It was about ongoing consultations in the months leading to the conflict. If the army brass was present with the civilian advisers for a few months prior to the campaign, then the army would have had time to plan better when it actually started.
There is no constitutional provision for that. PM can consult COAS if he think something need to be discussed with him. Its PM's call. Not burden.

And that has to change. The armed forces should be part of the whole process as well. That is the way it works in most other countries. Not just the USA, but also parliamentary democracies like UK and France and Israel. The armed forces are inolved in national security related issues. The authorization for war would of course still rest with the PM or president.
we now have National security adviser and Joint staff committe ( hoping its correct name )
Even they too are not part of decision making. What they do is threat perception and reviewing force readiness. And discuss issues reguaring forces and their solution.
Responses in red. Basically, I think you are misunderstanding what the demand here is. It is not whether the PM sould have asked the army chief's permission to go to war.
Do you see I claiming it anywhere ??? . And i didnt misunderstood the general. He wanted to be consulted before decision was taken or during decision was taken. Both are not allowed constitutionally.

It is that the decision making process (which happens for weeks or months) should include the top commanders. It is this misunderstanding that has led you and others to bring in the example of Manekshaw in '71. The question is not that the army should decide when to go to war (which is what the Sam/Indira episode was about),
No it wasnt. Decision of war was already taken and Manekshaw was there to answer the querry can IA handle the war at that time. Feel free to prove me wrong I will accept it.

but the deeper question of how much involvement the armed forces should have in crafting our geopolitical strategy. After all, warfare is a continuation of state policy, it is not apart from it. It's not like the civilian leadership does statecraft, and when they finally decide to use the military they call the army chief. That's a simplistic view of how statecraft and soldiering go hand in hand - which is not to say that geopolitical decisions should be taken by the armed forces, but simply that they should be kept in the loop all the time on matters related to national security.
I dont believe in ideal world as it dont exists. So no question of what should and what shouldnt.
My point is it doesnt happen and its good for us. Army or forces in general are consulted if that is needed to make decision.

Keeping the armed forces at arms length served the British Indian army who only needed an army to control the people. But now that we are a sovereign nation, and the military is an arm of the state, and warfare is a means of state policy, the top brass should be involved in that aspect of statecraft that pertains to national security. We have to give up this deep rooted fear that involving the armed forces in statecraft would lead down a slippery slope where they will ultimately usurp the powers of the civilian authority and we would end up like another pakistan. Let us be clear - India is no pakistan, Indian army is no pak army. If the US army and Israeli army and European armies can have a measure of involvement in crafting strategy, I don't see why we should be afraid of letting our armed forces do so as well. This distrust of the armed forces has to go. We have to start using the armed forces to project national power (which doesn't mean going on pointless wars, but simply that Indian diplomacy has to include their presence). That is how all mature democracies function. And decisions like whether to use force or not will ultimately lie in the hands of the people, through the elected representatives. And I am only advocating greater involvement of the military in matters pertaining to strategy and security, not about having them run petrol pumps and schools and businesses, like in pakistan. We have to trust our military as much as other representative democracies trust theirs.
Tell me if it happens in India. And I will accept it.
I really dont know much about US army and admin but I do believe their strategies are formed by Pentagone which is full of burocrates than army generals. Correct me if I am wrong.

Firstly the decision making process in India is very complex. If a war has to be declared.
PM and inner caninet dissuss the issue if they think its worth going forward then it is put in cabinate meeting. Mostly those things goes through as inner cabinate is stronger force. Then leader of opposition "may be" consulated. Cause PM need to show everybody is with his decision. Then all the cheifs will be called and briefed. Then they will put firward their opinion on that. Still PM wants to go ahead they have to have obey. You can call it Standard operational procedure.

@scorpionix
Does military in India enjoy such privilege ?

If military leadership stands up and questions government order - will that be tolerated ?

Military has tacitly showed its reservations against withdrawing AFSPA ....if government still presses ahead with withdrawal of AFSPA ...what military should do ? what it can do ?

Can it say that we are not ready to do our job in J & K ....because AFSPA is withdrawn ?

I am just giving contemporary example ...of AFSPA issue .

I am not comparing these two totally different issues .

what do you say about it ?

AFSPA is a complex issue. The Army must understand that the forces are not above constitution of India and it must respect the decisions of GoI in this regard.. This law had been widely misused by scums and the Army instead of opposing it's dilution must present a decent argument in favour of a draconian law like this. If the army says it can't do its job without AFSPA it sounds featherbrained.

Government and military are like different of the organs of same body ...entrusted wit different functions ....
what separates them is also what unites them ....

Two way communication is essential for any optimal harmonious functioning ....

the very fact that former military brass is complaining ...underles the fact that military was not taken into confidence and was not consulted ....which is one of the reasons for debacle .
yes I know that

I am surprised by your assertions that Government is not obliged to consult armed forces .
not my assertion its fact.
I believe
give something more than your belief. I will agree.

government is obliged to listen to all and the act ....
or else it turn into a kind of dictatorship ....
says who ??? and who are these alls to be qualify to be democracy ??? Army ???

what if government goes ahead with scrapping of AFSPA from J & K under political compulsion without taking army's reservations into account ....won't that spell disster for J & K ???
yes it will. What you suggest army should stage a coup for that ??? And what do you think army will do if PM revokes AFSPA ??? They will obey cause thats what they are supposed to do. To obey their Supreme commander.
You are worried about AFSPA !!! Our constitution has given parliament the right to modify/suspend Fundamental Rights applicable to forces : read Article 33 of indian constitution.

same thing happened with IPKF ??? Ill advised government forced its decision on Army which only resulted in worst kind of peace keeping drubbing ???

India lost in every sense in this ill advised move ....

The prime reason : stake holders were not consulted .....

Please don't advocate something as foolish as this , under guise of so called separation of powers and functions !
I don't think I have used any offensive word so Please Mind your language and remain in civilised terms. Its easy to call anything anybody foolish. And if you cant then just don't quote me.

Come out of la la land and give me something concrete. Nothing will happen just because you or I think it should.

Last edited:
Just remembered another incident in last 1/2 years where both India and Pakistan governments were talking about demilitarising Siyachin. You can see the clear difference here when then PM Gilani (?) was talking about the issue their COAS was sitting right next to him.
That wasn't indian case.

But when IA protested and tell GOI that It would be impossible to regain those heights in future , GOI just dropped the subject.

Here too GOI didn't consult army but they do hear their stand.

I am sorry General Malik Sir but I dont think its army's job to make decidsions on political matter.
Arent we having one neighbour who's army is involoved in decision making ??? That should be enough reason to NOT do so.

As far as consulting is concerned PMO mighht have been more than sure that Indian Army could do the job.

Keeping army out of politics has paid India well and it should continue like that.

You are too naive to talk about this.

Go read the journals of Col Anil Kaul who lost his left eye in the conflict and how haphazard the decision making was,it is the army which does the job on the ground,not the fat bureacucrats and analysts.

If you dont give the Army a technical opinion,u get screwed like the IPKF did.

Do you how many many IPKF soldiers died and got maimed forever due to silly bureaucrats making decisions for India and please man,dont open your mouth like a bureaucrat on anything and everything.

Its called line of seperation and NOT paranoia. Is it our army's mandate to participate in decision making process ???
Consulting can be done and should be done. But it must not be made the responsibility of civilian government.
End of the day army is a weapon and GoI is user. There is reason why few basic rights are denied to uniform.

yes it is u moron,u cant ask ur wife to make dinner for 10 people without checking if there are enough provisions.

dumbass,army is not a weapon,army is people,army is fighting against guerilla warfare.

it was not a mission with a few commandoes,it was a cocked up pseudo operation which ultimately claimed Rajiv's life and changed the geo politics of the region for good and worse.

Rajiv was not his mom.A brash young man, many things went amiss during his watch. A seasoned leader would have consulted the Service chiefs beside others before deciding to launch Op Pawan.

Rajiv was in a hurry and just like how he said something very very stupid when his mom died,the same instinct got the better of him.

Rajiv might have felt that sending IPKF was the right thing to do considering the circumstances. There were rumours swirling that SL might offer a base to US in Trincomalee. Once you send the troops, you have to leave the decision making to the officers in the field. Rather the decisions were made at Chennai and Delhi. They never understood the ground realities and that started the whole mess. For example, IPKF warned about the folly of handing over 19 LTTE leaders to SL army and the warning was ignored by the brass sitting in India. That is what started the Guerilla warfare by LTTE against IPKF.

I would squarely blame DMK also for this,first thing,they should have put TN under president's rule after MGR died.

That was a huge mistake.

Y

I would squarely blame DMK also for this,first thing,they should have put TN under president's rule after MGR died.

That was a huge mistake.

What has DMK got to do with the debacle in SL? I meant the decision was made by politicians, diplomats at the center and the intelligence folks in Chennai. The army officials who were part of IPKF and in the field and understood the reality better did not have a say in decision making. Once the army is deployed the decision should be left to army in the field which did not happen.

I can provide one example - the idiot Dixit at one point ordered IPKF to shoot Prabhakaran when he came for peace talks but the IPKF refused stating they are a orthodox army and will not shoot someone in the back (quoted by Major General Harkirat Singh in his book Intervention in Sri Lanka The IPKF experience retold)

Just watch Madras Cafe.

IB of TamilNadu is not a saint and has moles.

Watched Madras Cafe. It is not IB of Tamilnadu which had moles. It is about the real life RAW mole KV Unnikrishnan depicted as Joint Director Bala of Chennai desk.

Unnikrishnan, 47, worked for the CIA for nearly two years informing them about what was then an ultra-secret operation: R&AW training and arming Tamil groups including the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) and the Indian government's negotiating positions on the peace accord with Sri Lanka. Unnikrishnan's sensational uncovering as a CIA mole, shook India's external intelligence agency. It was the first major high-level penetration of India's external intelligence agency, then only 19 years old.

Read more at: Madras Cafe brings back uncomfortable memories of the CIA's honey trap : North, News - India Today

I didn't like Vaiko going to Yaazhpanam and Karunanidhi not going to see injured Indian soldiers in Chennai.

It is as if they were the villains in the conflict.

PS: My friend's uncle lost his leg just like how mammoty does in Kandukondain.

Back
Top Bottom