What's new

Indian Special Forces

India’s capability to conduct Special Operations is severely limited at present. The SOF is with the Army and Navy, while the delivery platforms are with the Air Force. The external intelligence agencies have no coherence.

The author Air Marshal Narayan Menon doesnt count Garuds as a true Special force and says:-

Indian Army has highly trained Para-commandos from the Parachute regiments and MARCOS or marine commandos from the Indian Navy. IAF has the GARUDS trained mainly for assets protection and for specific tasks during conflict situations.

India’s Special Operations Capability » Indian Defence Review

The author Air Marshal Narayan Menon doesnt count Garuds as a true Special force and says:-

India’s Special Operations Capability » Indian Defence Review
I find myself disagreeing with all these retd senior brass who have had no service in SFs- they all seem to be coming to wrong conclusions, making false or inaccurate statements and seem to have an outdated mindset (which is understandable given when these retd brass joind up).

I don't see any articles from recently retired SFs who know exactly what the current status quo is and what the ground realities of the Indian SOFs are.

And I don't know what you'd call the Garuds if not an SF- this is what they declare themselves to be, train extensively to be and, in my eyes, ARE. These aren't some wannabes, they train for close to 2 years in almost every imaginable SF warfare technique and for someone to turn around and say they aren't SF is incredibly insulting for them. Yes they are, as a unit, less execpereinced than the MARCOs or PARA (SF) but then the unit is less than a decade old.

I find myself disagreeing with all these retd senior brass who have had no service in SFs- they all seem to be coming to wrong conclusions, making false or inaccurate statements and seem to have an outdated mindset (which is understandable given when these retd brass joind up).

I don't see any articles from recently retired SFs who know exactly what the current status quo is and what the ground realities of the Indian SOFs are.

And I don't know what you'd call the Garuds if not an SF- this is what they declare themselves to be, train extensively to be and, in my eyes, ARE. These aren't some wannabes, they train for close to 2 years in almost every imaginable SF warfare technique and for someone to turn around and say they aren't SF is incredibly insulting for them. Yes they are, as a unit, less execpereinced than the MARCOs or PARA (SF) but then the unit is less than a decade old.

AM Menon is not very wrong. While the IAF Garuds are trained to SF standards; they are not SF. Does even the MoD designate them as SF? The reason(s) for their raising is different.

I too would diagree with these retired senior officers on most things relating to SF but one thing they always rightly point out is that we might have the men and the skills but as long as there is no backing up by the Leaders of this country nothing can be done .Technology is another great point they make.Op Geronimo wont have been possible without the technology involved.

OTOH i agree Garuds are a true SF and i am quite impressed by their skills and they are on the right track.

AM Menon is not very wrong. While the IAF Garuds are trained to SF standards; they are not SF. Does even the MoD designate them as SF? The reason(s) for their raising is different.

I'm pretty sure the MoD designates them SFs and the IAF does for sure. I don't think they'd just be allowed to wear the "SPECIAL FORCES" tag on their uniforms if this wasn't sanctioned from the very highest authority. I agree their mission profiles are very different to the typical MARCOs or PARA (SF) ones but the is by design- they aren't meant to be just another PARA (SF) btn, they have a very specific role in war and peace time. However their training and abilities are almost identical to the MARCOs and PARA (SF) (excluding the most specific missions the PARA (SF) and MARCOs take part in) as they attend many of the same schools the PARA (SF) and MARCOs do!

But Sir,The SF tab is not given for free to anyone.I agree their tasks might be limited but they are only 10 yrs old.

I'm pretty sure the MoD designates them SFs and the IAF does for sure. I don't think they'd just be allowed to wear the "SPECIAL FORCES" tag on their uniforms if this wasn't sanctioned from the very highest authority. I agree their mission profiles are very different to the typical MARCOs or PARA (SF) ones but the is by design- they aren't meant to be just another PARA (SF) btn, they have a very specific role in war and peace time. However their training and abilities are almost identical to the MARCOs and PARA (SF) (excluding the most specific missions the PARA (SF) and MARCOs take part in) as they attend many of the same schools the PARA (SF) and MARCOs do!

I do not agree with those points in totality. Neither the training nor the wearing of the SF Tags will decide that they are going to be designated with SF tasks.
As I said earlier; the reason(s) for their raising is different.
And are you sure that MoD designates them as SF; for SF tasking?

92335910151496243788071.jpg

Back
Top Bottom