What's new

Indian power system becomes largest operating synchronous grid in the world

something like MCB but operating at much higher scale ! the SF6 based Switches wont suffice !

are you implying to break the power flow using circuit breakers....

Anybody know what's happening with the project to interconnect the SL grid and the Indian grid?
Here's some gen:

The India – Sri Lanka HVDC Grid Interconnection is a proposed project to link the national grids of India and Sri Lanka. The project involves the construction of a HVDC connection between Madurai in southern India, and Anuradhapura in central Sri Lanka, through the Palk Strait. The link would measure 285 kilometres (177 mi) in length, including 50 kilometres (31 mi) of submarine cables, and would take more than three years to construct. It would be implemented by the Power Grid Corporation of India Limited and Ceylon Electricity Board.

Having been contemplated since 1970, the project has four implementation alternatives in consideration:

• Madurai–Anuradhapura
  • Tuticorin–Puttalam
  • Madurai–Puttalam
  • Madurai–Anuradhapura (with back-to-back DC)
The connection will be developed in two phases, of which the first phase, scheduled to complete in the near-future, would enable the transmission of 500 MW between the two countries. The second phase would enable a 1,000 MW transmission capacity, the target capacity.

It is expected to reach a total development cost of approximately US$800,000,000. Such a connection between the two countries would enable the nations to sell excess energy, thus saving valuable resources.

the Indian national grid is not connected to the southern grid..........the proposed link is between the southern grid of India and sri lanka

I was not aware the Indian grid was separated.

I was not aware the Indian grid was separated.

the 4 regional grids are connected......but the southern grids hasnt been connceted so far...........
currently work is taking place.....they will ultimately connect all 5 regional grids......

Sad to say, I've learned from one of the engineers on this project that almost all equipments that made this possible was imported from China. In fact, a team of more than 70 Chinese engineers were contracted to design and implement this system. India's actual input is very much confined to providing laborers.

Sad to say, I've learned from one of the engineers on this project that almost all equipments that made this possible was imported from China. In fact, a team of more than 70 Chinese engineers were contracted to design and implement this system. India's actual input is very much confined to providing laborers.

Thank you to China than . We paid them and we thanked them . What else you want ??

what equipments.....any link to back your claim or are you just trolling

Source Please! :coffee: - Back such clams with credible sources or else it will only end up in a troll war on this thread!

its not safety features......actually states can draw more power(than the amount they are actually buying) until the pf attains a minimum level.......if it crosses that level there is instability in the system which leads to failure of a grid......since all grids are combined it leads to blackout......like it happened in UP

That is a real case.Last year blackout is due to the considerable drawning of high load from national grid mainly by UP and 2 other industrial states.But that can resolved by advance power control system and implementing it in most vulnerable area.
A PLC like system to control load flow.

That is a real case.Last year blackout is due to the considerable drawning of high load from national grid mainly by UP and 2 other industrial states.But that can resolved by advance power control system and implementing it in most vulnerable area.
A PLC like system to control load flow.

nothing wrong in doing so........the states earn in that way......my state for example drew extra power worth 900cr :lol: .....but did it in limits so there was no outage here :partay:........a good engineer can do so.....but UP and punjabis,they dont do it in their limits :hitwall:

something like MCB but operating at much higher scale ! the SF6 based Switches wont suffice !

For that we must also care about economic constraints.When we care about large like110Kv, 40mva transformer we must need SF6.Other types not that safetyfull.

Maharashtra already buys electricity from Punjab and some other states.

Sorry I was under the impression that maharashtra was self sufficient in it's power requirements. But drawing from Punjab ? You mean the power produced in bhakra Dam ?

Btw, we are lacking in research in power systems currently. We dont have enough technology to transfer all the generated electricity from NE to central grid !

Back
Top Bottom