What's new

Indian Navy prepares for Trials of Submarine version of BrahMos Missile

No, it's for submarines under P-75i's. Putting a 300km range cruise missile on board a SSBN is a waste of it's capability.
yes but arihant requires a dedicated "anti-ship" cruise missile for self protection and nothing would suite better than brahmos slcm. and for land attack,i think nirbhay's slcm would be integrated after a few years.
( bangladesh defence'e "bsaf kidnaps two bangladeshis" thread tai jan,khilli hocche khub :D)

yes but arihant requires a dedicated "anti-ship" cruise missile for self protection and nothing would suite better than brahmos slcm. and for land attack,i think nirbhay's slcm would be integrated after a few years.
( bangladesh defence'e "bsaf kidnaps two bangladeshis" thread tai jan,khilli hocche khub :D)

Klub anti-ship missiles can be launched from torpedo tubes, no need for locking up VLS cells for Brahmos.

No, it's for submarines under P-75i's. Putting a 300km range cruise missile on board a SSBN is a waste of it's capability.
Arihant class will not be used as a SSBN only, when 2nd lot is inducted, govt will convert first lot in SSGN because of capacity constraint. So yes it will be armed with Bramhos missile.

Arihant class will not be used as a SSBN only, when 2nd lot is inducted, govt will convert first lot in SSGN because of capacity constraint. So yes it will be armed with Bramhos missile.

That'll be a waste of it's capability, as it'd seriously limit it's area of influence.

A good development of brahmos. But i am really mad to see a real time test flight conducted from a submarine.

That'll be a waste of it's capability, as it'd seriously limit it's area of influence.
And how is that? It will give them the capability to launch not only Bramhos but other land attack cruise missiles also & that too in greater no. India will not have to use ballistic missiles when we can use cheaper cruise missiles for tactical targets. We can save them for strategic targets.

Klub anti-ship missiles can be launched from torpedo tubes, no need for locking up VLS cells for Brahmos.
VLS cells are not required...klub missile can be fired from 533mm torpedo tubes and brahmos is 600-700mm.But this is "submarine version" and i think it is re-engineered to be fired from 533mm tubes of arihant subs as well as ins chakra as P-75I is very far away and this misile would be ready for induction in two years.. so this will not serve the purpose only for P-75I.Also, another adv.of this missile is that we can mass produce it in the kerala factory,whereas for klub.it has to be imported

I knew it. Since brahmos has the same cap like Sagarika for under-sea launch, which gets jettisoned during launch!!
brhamos is totally different cap. k15has wooden cap and unique jettison.

jan k15
Feb nirbhay
march sl brahmos
april astra2
May pdv
????

VLS cells are not required...klub missile can be fired from 533mm torpedo tubes and brahmos is 600-700mm.But this is "submarine version" and i think it is re-engineered to be fired from 533mm tubes of arihant subs as well as ins chakra as P-75I is very far away and this misile would be ready for induction in two years.. so this will not serve the purpose only for P-75I.Also, another adv.of this missile is that we can mass produce it in the kerala factory,whereas for klub.it has to be imported

Dada re, the sad part is, the SLCM Brahmos is conceived as a vertical launch system for SSKs. Mainly because of it's weight, as it is about more than twice as heavy than a Klub SLCM.

Another thing to note, a submarine cannot use sonar to detect marine vessels for beyond 50km. So a SLCM brahmos for anti shipping role will be an overkill. And even if they integrate it on VLS, that'll be land attack variant, which is again a waste of money as K-15 will be cheaper than Brahmos with more than twice the range and 3 times the payload.

@RISING SUN Hope this answer your doubts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Exactly my thoughts .

With just 4 silos , Arihant class is not a credible strategic deterrent.When the S5 and follow on subs arrive with more number of silos , it will be logical to convert Arihant class to SSGN role.

Dada re, the sad part is, the SLCM Brahmos is conceived as a vertical launch system for SSKs. Mainly because of it's weight, as it is about more than twice as heavy than a Klub SLCM.

Another thing to note, a submarine cannot use sonar to detect marine vessels for beyond 50km. So a SLCM brahmos for anti shipping role will be an overkill. And even if they integrate it on VLS, that'll be land attack variant, which is again a waste of money as K-15 will be cheaper than Brahmos with more than twice the range and 3 times the payload.

What is the maximum weight of missile that can be fired from torpedo tubes ??

And how is that? It will give them the capability to launch not only Bramhos but other land attack cruise missiles also & that too in greater no. India will not have to use ballistic missiles when we can use cheaper cruise missiles for tactical targets. We can save them for strategic targets.

The Amur-1650 is the more heavily modified variant, it is armed with a VLS missile system capable of salvo-fire at multiple predesignated targets.
File:BrahMos missie on Lada class non-nuclear submarine maqette.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
They can be outfitted with AIP fuel cells, considerably improving submerged endurance and range. AIP capability can be added in a hull extension plug either during new build construction, or as a refit to existing boats.
Armament: 4 × 533 mm (21 in) torpedo tubes, 16 torpedoes, 10 VLS cells, missiles, mines total.
Although BrahMos was primarily an anti-ship missile, the BrahMos Block III can also engage land based targets. It can be launched either in a vertical or inclined position and is capable of covering targets over a 360 degree horizon. India is now the only nation in the world with this advanced technology. Submarine-launched, anti-ship variant (under development, expected completion soon), Submarine-launched, land-attack variant (under development, expected completion in near future), Anti-aircraft carrier variant (tested in March 2012).

If India is not going to induct Brahmos missile in its subs then why is it testing it. I am giving a hypothetical scenario. Consider that there is war going on western front. India is well capable of attacking Karachi base, every one has seen it. Now they have diversified their options, here comes the GWADAR comes into play. They know for sure that in no open sea they can't defeat IN even in distant waters, so they will bring in land to sea attack resources station it along the coast of MAKRAN & GWADAR. Then what will you do. Indian resources will be venerable from this perspective. Now consider that India has AMUR or SSGN type of sub equipped with ship attack as well as land attack Bramhos & other CM capability. It will remain submerged, so land radar will be able to pick it up, it will fire its missiles on major sites of attack means. Now path is clear for Indian destroyers & frigates in terms of land based threats.

Now folks no body answered my earlier question?
Is their any technique or any missile in whole world by which we can merge the qualities of NIRBHAY & Brahmos in 1 missile? It will be hard to track considering the terrain hugging tech & high speed + longer range. Real deadly missile if integrated with stealth bombers & subs.
@500, @Abingdonboy, @acetophenol, @Skull and Bones, @Ajaxpaul, @Ayush, @Chinese-Dragon, @COLDHEARTED AVIATOR, @Jade, @jbgt90, nick_indian, @Rajaraja Chola, @RoYaL~GuJJaR, @Sergi, @SpArK, @Soheil.

The Amur-1650 is the more heavily modified variant, it is armed with a VLS missile system capable of salvo-fire at multiple predesignated targets.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:BrahMos_missie_on_Lada_class_non-nuclear_submarine_maqette.jpg
They can be outfitted with AIP fuel cells, considerably improving submerged endurance and range. AIP capability can be added in a hull extension plug either during new build construction, or as a refit to existing boats.
Armament: 4 × 533 mm (21 in) torpedo tubes, 16 torpedoes, 10 VLS cells, missiles, mines total.
Although BrahMos was primarily an anti-ship missile, the BrahMos Block III can also engage land based targets. It can be launched either in a vertical or inclined position and is capable of covering targets over a 360 degree horizon. India is now the only nation in the world with this advanced technology. Submarine-launched, anti-ship variant (under development, expected completion soon), Submarine-launched, land-attack variant (under development, expected completion in near future), Anti-aircraft carrier variant (tested in March 2012).

If India is not going to induct Brahmos missile in its subs then why is it testing it. I am giving a hypothetical scenario. Consider that there is war going on western front. India is well capable of attacking Karachi base, every one has seen it. Now they have diversified their options, here comes the GWADAR comes into play. They know for sure that in no open sea they can't defeat IN even in distant waters, so they will bring in land to sea attack resources station it along the coast of MAKRAN & GWADAR. Then what will you do. Indian resources will be venerable from this perspective. Now consider that India has AMUR or SSGN type of sub equipped with ship attack as well as land attack Bramhos & other CM capability. It will remain submerged, so land radar will be able to pick it up, it will fire its missiles on major sites of attack means. Now path is clear for Indian destroyers & frigates in terms of land based threats.

Now folks no body answered my earlier question?
Is their any technique or any missile in whole world by which we can merge the qualities of NIRBHAY & Brahmos in 1 missile? It will be hard to track considering the terrain hugging tech & high speed + longer range. Real deadly missile if integrated with stealth bombers & subs.
@500, @Abingdonboy, @acetophenol, @Skull and Bones, @Ajaxpaul, @Ayush, @Chinese-Dragon, @COLDHEARTED AVIATOR, @Jade, @jbgt90, nick_indian, @Rajaraja Chola, @RoYaL~GuJJaR, @Sergi, @SpArK, @Soheil.

P75Is won't be able to carry it and will have torpedo launched land attack missiles instead, Brahmos on SSBNs does make sense wrt self defence capability, since Brahmos prime role is still anti ship! However, the prime plattform will be our coming SSNs, since their prime mission will be attack of enemy surface fleets or coastal targets, both fields where Brahmos is more than useful and where it will complement Nirbhay that is more aimed at long range strike attacks.

Back
Top Bottom