What's new

Indian Navy News & Discussions

AKULA COMING THIS MARCH

Akula_Class_Submarine_by_PANDORA.jpg

Is there any news for 2nd Akula class sub ??/ Are we getting it or not ?//

@PANDORA
Post this in 3d section also. Its a good topic, so that we could have all indian machines in 3d at one place.

India to buy 30 Sea Control aircraft by 2020

airp3harpoonstorpedosid.jpg

In December 2005, India’s navy floated an RFP for at least 8 new sea control aircraft. Subsequent statements by India’s Admiral Prakash suggested that they could be looking for as many as 30 aircraft by 2020. Lockheed was invited to bid again, and this time, they were not alone. Bids from a variety of contenders were submitted in April 2007. The plan was for price negotiations to be completed in 2007, with first deliveries to commence within 48 months.

India’s Ministry of Defence has extreme problems with announced schedules, but their existing fleet was wearing out, international requests for India’s maritime patrol help are rising, and some action was necessary. By January 2009, India had picked its aircraft: the 737-derivative P-8i Poseidon maritime patrol aircraft.

The competition and refurbishment efforts are being given greater impetus by international developments. In February 2006, IPT reported that warning bells have been sounded at an international summit over the mounting terrorist threats to sea lanes around Indonesia and the Straits of Malacca, which serves as a choke-point for a significant percentage of global shipping. At a subsequent high-level meeting in the United States that included Australia, Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, Japan and others, Stratfor reported that India was asked to play a major policing role against sea-piracy in the region.

Successful procurement of modern maritime patrol aircraft would certainly expand India’s capabilities, as its naval responsibilities undergo rapid growth. To the west, India is also undertaking anti-piracy efforts on the East African coast, with a base in Madagascar and a recent military co-operation agreement with Mozambique that includes coastal patrol responsibilities.

The Indian Navy currently relies on its fleet of around 15 Dornier 228-101 aircraft and 12 Israeli Searcher Mark II and Heron unmanned aerial vehicles to monitor India’s 7,516 km long coastline, 1,197 islands and a 2.01 square km exclusive economic zone.

Additional patrols and interdiction within and beyond that area are undertaken by its 8 ultra-long-range TU-142 Bear aircraft and its 2 remaining IL-38 May Maritime Surveillance Aircraft upgrades to IL-38SD status. Another 3 upgraded IL-38SDs were expected to enter service by end-2008, but the upgrades have been a flashpoint for controversy due to a May 14/07 report from India’s Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) which said that the first 2 upgraded IL-38SDs are missing essential avionics and weapon systems that are “seriously limiting their operational capabilities.”

In November 2005, India’s $133 million deal for 2 P-3C Orion maritime-optimized patrol and surveillance planes fell through on grounds of expense, support costs, and timing. Apparently, it would have taken 18-24 months for the US Navy to retrofit the aircraft to the Indian Navy’s specifications, once the lease had been finalized.

In response, December 2005 featured an RFP that sought 8 aircraft, and threw the competition open. Bids were received from various candidates in April 2006, and initial schedules involved a signed contract by the end of 2007, and deliveries by the end of 2009. Of course, that didn’t happen. A July 2007 Defense News report said that an Indian procurement team would be sending preliminary evaluations to the Defence Ministry by September 2007, which would lead to a short list. A preliminary decision and price negotiations were scheduled to begin “within two years,” i.e. by mid-2009.

navyp3orion.jpg

Experience has demonstrated that price negotiations with India’s MoD can take years themselves – or even sink deals entirely, vid. the various collapsed deals for second-hand Mirage 2000 fighter jets. In this case, however, the deal was done by January 2009. By October 2010, India’s Navy was pushing to extend the buy, and enlarge its fleet of Boeing P-8 Poseidon aircraft.

Weapon and Technology: India to buy 30 Sea control aircraft by 2020

Now the real question is ..which aircraft/mix of aircrafts are being talked about here..30 P-8I or, a mix of P-8I and other aircrafts..??

Inquiry ordered into procurement of heavyweight torpedoes for India’s Project 75 submarines

India’s Central Vigilance Commissioner has ordered an inquiry into the procurement of 98 heavyweight torpedoes for the project P-75 submarines of the Indian Navy.

Informed sources told defenseworld.net that the inquiry was ordered on the complaint made by one of the bidders in the tender for procurement of the torpedoes, Atlas Elektronik GMBH of Germany. The complaint was reportedly made by Kai Pelzer, Executive Director of Atlas Elektronik which makes the DM2A4 Seahake heavyweight torpedo. The only other bidder is Italy's Whitehead Alenia Sistemi Subacquei (WASS), a subsidiary of the Finmeccanica Group. WASS has offered its Black Shark heavyweight torpedo.

The complaint sets a new trend of an international company directly approaching the CVC for a grievance related to defence procurement and may embolden other companies from taking similar steps if they have allegations of corruption to make.

The complaint refers to irregularities in the conduct of the procurement process, sources said adding that certain specific charges of corruption have been made. The complaint was sent to the CVC which in turn has ordered the inquiry to verify the allegations made. The inquiry was ordered in December 2010.

The heavyweight torpedo is a submarine’s main anti-ship weapon and is capable of bringing down large naval vessels such as destroyers. India wants to equip the six submarines of the P-75 project currently under construction with these torpedoes.

The P-75 is India’s most ambitious submarine project in which the French firm DCNS has secured a contract for building six Scorpene submarines under a $4 billion contract signed with France in 2005. This also involves transfer of technology to India’s state-owned shipyard, MDL and the first submarine from the P-75 project is expected to be with the Indian Navy by 2015.

There have been reports of delays in the construction which have since been sorted out, according to DCNS.

Indian Navy scouts for amphibious warfare craft

NEW DELHI: The Indian Navy is scouting for a mechanised craft to enable troop landings on beaches to augment its amphibious warfare capability. The navy intends to order 10 such craft.

The navy has issued a request for information to global ship-builders to know if they can deliver the craft to India within the specified time frame and also meet its requirements, a senior naval official told IANS, speaking on condition of anonymity as he was not authorised to speak to the media.

The craft can also be used to ferry military equipment and material between island territories of Andaman and Nicobar on the eastern sea board and Lakshadweep on the western side.

The navy has been using 10 such craft in Andaman and Nicobar islands for years now for inter-island movement, but have de-commissioned six of them. The fresh order will be to augment this capability, he said.

The 55-tonne capacity craft can be carried on board the navy's five large Landing Ship Tank (LST) vessels of the Magar and Shardul class.

The craft will be used to launch either 150 troops and their warfare equipment, a T-90/T-72 battle tank, two infantry combat vehicles, two 2.5-tonne trucks or four light motor vehicles to enemy shores.

It will also be able to operate out of Landing Pontoon Dock INS Jalashwa, which in its earlier avatar was USS Trenton of the US Navy , bought by India in 2007.

Jalashwa, at 17,000-tonne, is the second largest warship of the Indian Navy after its lone 29,000-tonne aircraft carrier INS Viraat .

"The craft will be used for ship-to-shore movement of assault material, equipment and personnel in support of amphibious operations, apart from search and rescue, casualty evacuation, humanitarian relief, and supply and replenishment of warships," the officer said, when asked about the role of these craft.

The 23-metre long craft will have a cargo well and touch maximum speeds of 15 knots in fully-laden condition with an endurance level of six months out of dock or 200 nautical miles at full loading condition. It will be propelled by two diesel engines driving a water jet each.

With capability to operate during both day and night, the navy plans to use the craft for 20 years from induction. The craft will be armed with two mounted heavy machine gun with hands-free communication system with all-round arc of fire or shrapnel along with a protective steel plate to save the gun crew from enemy fire.

Indian Navy scouts for amphibious warfare craft - The Economic Times

Now the real question is ..which aircraft/mix of aircrafts are being talked about here..30 P-8I or, a mix of P-8I and other aircrafts..??

Given the fact that the article also includes the Dornier 228 to the present fleet, the 30 x aircrafts in future should also include the Saras that IN has ordered to replace them. Then there is the medium range MPA competition and the shore based AWACS competitions, which should be in the role of an "sea control" aircraft as well.

My choice would be, some more fully capable P8Is and Emb 145 MPAs + Emb 145 DRDO AWACS on the lower end, for more cost-effectivness and indigenous developments in these fields. Later we could add NAL RTA MPAs as well, even more cost-effective and indigenous.

Given the fact that the article also includes the Dornier 228 to the present fleet, the 30 x aircrafts in future should also include the Saras that IN has ordered to replace them. Then there is the medium range MPA competition and the shore based AWACS competitions, which should be in the role of an "sea control" aircraft as well.

My choice would be, some more fully capable P8Is and Emb 145 MPAs + Emb 145 DRDO AWACS on the lower end, for more cost-effectivness and indigenous developments in these fields. Later we could add NAL RTA MPAs as well, even more cost-effective and indigenous.

My Choice would be 12-15 P-8I + SAAB 2000 MPAs+ E-2D Hawkeye + keep upgrading Tu-142 ( No one can match its range )..DRDO AWACs +NAL RTA-MPA can be added to augment the fleet..

I just love these ..

800px-IAF_Tu-142_and_Il-38.jpg

My Choice would be 12-15 P-8I + SAAB 2000 MPAs+ E-2D Hawkeye + keep upgrading Tu-142 ( No one can match its range )..DRDO AWACs +NAL RTA-MPA can be added to augment the fleet..

I can understand that E-2s makes sense, if we go for the same as carrier AEWs, but why do you want to add Saab 2000? Emb 145 makes much more sense in terms of commonality and could reduce costs.
The P8Is are meant as a replacement for the Tu 142s and with IFR they can add range and endurance of course, so I doubt that IN will keep them in service for too long.

Indian Navy to buy four more P-8Is aircraft

BANGALORE: The Indian Navy has decided to exercise its option for an additional four Boeing P-8I long-range maritime reconnaissance aircraft in a bid to boost its maritime patrol capabilities as well as counter piracy threats and the growing Chinese influence in the Indian Ocean.

In a deal expected to range between $1 billion to $1.5 billion, the new aircraft will be in addition to the eight the Navy had ordered in January 2009, for about $2.1 billion. The new contract price is also expected to include the cost of aero-structures and avionics.

“The Indian Navy has received the necessary government approvals and has decided to go ahead with the contractual processes to acquire four additional P-8I aircraft under the options clause,” Commander PVS Satish, public relations officer for the Indian Navy told The Economic Times.

According to sources, Boeing has already submitted its draft offset contract to the defence ministry last week. “The government is considering exercising the option of adding four P-8I aircraft,” Dr Vivek Lall, vice-president, Boeing Defence, Space & Security told ET. The P-8I, which is based on the Boeing next-generation 737 commercial airplane, is a variant of the P-8A Poseidon that the defence vendor Boeing is developing for the US Navy. India is the first international customer for the P-8 platform.

The first of the eight P-8I aircraft, which were bought through the direct commercial sales route with Boeing, are expected to be delivered to India within 48 months of the original contract signing. The aircraft are of supreme strategic importance for India’s naval forces, with the country looking to enhance its role in the high seas.

Further, the global community has been clamouring for India to play a more dominant policing role against sea piracy in the Straits of Malacca, which is one of the busiest commercial and military sea-routes in the world, and along the East African coast.

Also, in the ongoing scramble for sea power in the world’s thirdlargest ocean, India has been desperate to stop what it perceives as a growing Chinese hegemony in the region. Separately, Boeing has also submitted a reply to the Navy’s Request for Information for six medium-range maritime reconnaissance aircraft as well.

However, ministry sources did not confirm whether any of the other global defence vendors had responded to the same.
Others expected to be in the running for the contract include Russia’s Ilyushin, France’s Dassault and EADS . Like most defence deals pursued in India, the acquisition of the MRMR aircraft has followed a long and tortuous route. With the original global Request for Procurement issued in 2008, before the Mumbai attacks, the same was later scrapped by the defence ministry on certain technical grounds.

The current RFI also specifies the aircraft should be able to carry out electronic intelligence gathering and counter-measures, besides maritime patrol and search and rescue within an operational envelope of 350 nautical miles or almost 650 kilometres, as well as a patrol endurance of at least three and a half hours.

There are additional requirements that the aircraft be capable of carrying at least two anti-ship missiles and a jamming pod. As with the P-8I, the navy has specified in the RFI that certain pieces of equipment must be indigenous, like Identification Friend or Foe Interrogator with Secure Mode, MSS Terminal, BFE, Datalink and Speech Secrecy Equipment and vendors must indicate their commitment to integrate this equipment into the aircraft.

Indian Navy to buy four more P-8Is aircraft - The Economic Times

so intial order8 and now 4so total 12 P8i .......

guys pls discuss how many P8i would be placed in which regions and how much capable are they against nuke submarines....?

p8i2.jpg

Last edited:
WoW

This will seriously increase the IN firepower in the entire IOR.

so intial order8 and now 4so total 12 P8i .......

guys pls discuss how many P8i would be placed in which regions and how much capable are they against nuke submarines....?

p8i2.jpg

It is the most modern ASW aircraft and surely will be a good addition for IN capabilities, but we have to keep in mind that we have a really big, big area to cover, so finding a sub is not dependent on these aircrafts only. It must be a joint effort of aircrafts and vessels to get a capable anti submarine capability and I hope they will keep focusing on that, because subs are the biggest threat for us.

^^guys can P8i be modified to use brahmos on it..?

The point is once the size and weight of Brahmos and secondly if the US allows foreign weapons on their aircrafts, let alone if Russia wants the US to get their hand on Brahmos.

WoW

This will seriously increase the IN firepower in the entire IOR.

On of the important questions is still not cleared, will P8I have a refuelling system compatible with our IL 78 tanker, or needs tankers with boom refuelling systems like the US forces uses (same questions is valid for C17s)? If the latter is the case, we need A330 MRTTs more than ever before, because IFR is a must to get the full range and endurance out of the P8Is, even if we look at the Bay of Bengal and the Arabian Sea only.

Back
Top Bottom