What's new

Indian fury over Australia swimwear images

Status
Not open for further replies.
Strangely, when we don't have idols and pictures folks end up getting their heads chopped off, have planes rammed into their buildings, have fatwas issued in their name, have violent protests all over the world and of course the occassional apologist who claims that the 'other guy started it'.

Every other tv show in the states has something snide to say about jesus or moses but I've never seen people burning American flags over it. It's amazing how much ground societies around the world have to cover. Its 2011 but you wouldn't know it outside of the west and a few pockets in East Asia. India should really shove a book down every BJP/RSS idiot's throat. Its just a bikini, its not like god is really offended by it. If you don't like it don't buy it, simple.

Every religion has different threshold of tolerating insults. Images of Godesses on bikini bottoms is where some Hindus draw the line.

Just like some Christians did with Da Vinci code.

BBC NEWS | Entertainment | Da Vinci film protests stepped up

Widespread Protests Precede 'Da Vinci Code' Premiere - Celebrity Gossip | Entertainment News | Arts And Entertainment - FOXNews.com

I recently watched Indiana Jones and was startled to see how they had portrayed Goddess Kali in it. She was shown as a blood thirsty monster. I wish they had researched a little more about Indian mythology and religion while making the movie.

Not to forget the frozen monkey brains for dessert. I had some last night, still got some sitting in my fridge:lol:

monkey-brains.jpg

Not to forget the frozen monkey brains for dessert. I had some last night, still got some sitting in my fridge:lol:

Oh yeah, Western movies love to show Asians eating really weird food. :D

I never see that kind of stuff on a day to day basis. Even something as basic as "eating snakes", the only time I ever saw that, was when I deliberately went out of my way to find some.

It depends on the context, but blue and green can sometimes be considered unlucky. I wouldn't worry about it though, if you are not Chinese, then no one will be offended if you make a mistake. Like handing a green hat to someone.

As an interesting side-note, in China we have always had a God called "Yan Wang" (which means King Yama). He is one of the most important Gods in Chinese mythology.

I only learned recently that he was originally a Hindu God. Which was transmitted to East Asia via Buddhism.

LOL I totally remembered Dragon Ball Z, when you brought that up

Oh yeah, Western movies love to show Asians eating really weird food. :D

I never see that kind of stuff on a day to day basis. Even something as basic as "eating snakes", the only time I ever saw that, was when I deliberately went out of my way to find some.

I know this is off topic, but have you seen the show Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern? Man that guy has a serious gut :bad:

LOL I totally remembered Dragon Ball Z, when you brought that up

That's right. King Yama, was originally a Hindu God from the "Vedas".

He is also very important in East Asia, due to Buddhist influence. In China, he is called Yan Wang, and he is considered the ultimate authority in the afterlife.

In Japan, he became King Yemma. And even made his way into Dragon Ball too:

250px-KingYemmaNV01.png

Yup that's Yama from the Vedic Mythology (God of the afterlife)

Well, nobody in my family has yet made any complaints about the fact that these Gods were originally from India. :D

Chinese folk religion is usually a combination of Buddhism, Taoism, Confucianism, ancestral worship, etc.

So we have statues of Buddha, Guan Yin, Guan Di, etc.

monkey-brains.jpg

The scene was hilarious but it was an erroneous portrayal. Indians are one of the most picky when it comes to eating meat.

Well, nobody in my family has yet made any complaints about the fact that these Gods were originally from India. :D

Chinese folk religion is usually a combination of Buddhism, Taoism, Confucianism, ancestral worship, etc.

So we have statues of Buddha, Guan Yin, Guan Di, etc.

As long as they don't hold anti Chinese sentiments, they should be fine :P

As long as they don't hold anti Chinese sentiments, they should be fine :P

LOL, exactly right. :D

Anyway, I wonder why King Yama (who was originally blue), became Red in East Asia.

I should point out that I'm an Atheist, and that my great respect for figures like Buddha and King Yama, is mostly for cultural reasons, rather than religious ones.

useless storm in D cup ;) .. we have 1.2 billion people and no one can stop them from being angry at sometthing . only thing do whatever u want but within limits and without disturbing others.

LOL, exactly right. :D

Anyway, I wonder why King Yama (who was originally blue), became Red in East Asia.

I should point out that I'm an Atheist, and that my great respect for figures like Buddha and King Yama, is mostly for cultural reasons, rather than religious ones.

For the first part, King Yama is also depicted as being black similar to that of the grim reaper. Although he does not hold a scythe and doesn't wear a cape, I'm guessing the dark colors represent darkness maybe because sight is the first sense to be lost when a person dies "normally". As for King Yama being red, I have no idea :P Maybe to signify blood? Or to make it look artistic? idk lol

And for the bolded part. I too am what is considered "Astika" or Atheist whereas I rely on science rather than stories. However I in fact hold on to Hindu/Buddhist sentiments as well. Mainly because of the cultural reasons as you have stated and because after so many invasions and battles, we have been successful in preserving our culture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom