What's new

Indian Companies to Invest in Auto Sector in Bangladesh

Indian companies should be careful.Hasina is not going to rule bd forever.There are a lot of people in that country who hate India and may cause harm to Indian interests there.

@ Then why in our country. There are many countries in Africa, go there why you people are so much interested once Sh Hasina has come to power. Look east, "Purbo digonte surjo uthache rukto lal rukto lal".

You get what you pay for. You may as well buy Tata land Rover if you find lower end tata cars as low-classy!

india-tata-jaguar-land-rover-2009-6-28-7-50-4.jpg

The girls dont come free although!

I want this. And girl on the left. :D

Do you always live in contradiction? One way you try to show yourself as sole flag bearer of free market economy in the next sentence you want a regulated market. Whats your stand?

The reason we are manufacturing coke cane is because we imported them at first. Once the market is created we started manufacturing. The biggest problem from my own view point is that the lack of knowledge regarding consumer and technology products amonsgst our customer. We need to introduce the consumer with those products first then the market will automatically get created and the investor will follow through. Simple example is tissue clothing. We first started importing from Japan, then from India as a cheaper alternative. now we are producing them in here for even cheaper alternatives.

Again if you dont keep the door open for competition your domestic industries will loose at the end because as there is a captive market they will always try to optimize their profit and offer the customer with low quality products which eventually has not use when it comes to export as nobody going to pay for this shittty products overseas.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, competition is important. You are right about the tissue part, since Bangladesh was incapable of producing tissues of its own. The same goes for Coke cans. And in fact, we do produce our own Coke cans now.

Imports will always be there of-course. But not imports that don't add any value to the economy.

Having being living here in Dhaka, Bangladesh is already capable of producing enough Coke. Even local fizzy and energy drinks like "Uro Cola" and "Tiger" are popping up.

If the country is capable of producing the product, why import the SAME product? I have observed Bangladeshi manufactured Listerine mouthwash on the shelves, coupled with Listerine mouthwash imported from Thailand. WHY? WHY?? The same story for Sunsilk shampoo. Don't get me started on the rest of the imported shampoo brands like Pantene, Garnier Fructise (very popular due to Indian ads on cable TV :lol:), Dove, etc, they just flood the shelves.

I agree, there is a lack of product development.

This has been pointed out by many business experts in Bangladesh.

About where cars come from: Just to inform everyone here, the brand new cars such as Toyota, Ford, Honda, etc. displayed in respective showrooms are all manufactured and imported from India. The Pajero (coupled with only a handful of other models) are simply assembled Bangladesh with ALL major components being imported.
I hate the Pajero though, it is driven by corrupt officials and as*holes. Pajero in Spanish literally translates to wanker :lol:
Of-course, the reconditioned cars all come from Japan. Very reliable cars :cheers: I love my Corolla. I don't care what you people say about it.

Foreign investment in the automobile manufacturing sector is very crucial. Thailand for example did very well by allowing good foreign investment, and protecting its economy. It is now the Detroit of South East Asia.

About where cars come from: Just to inform everyone here, the brand new cars such as Toyota, Ford, Honda, etc. displayed in respective showrooms are all manufactured and imported from India. The Pajero (coupled with only a handful of other models) are simply assembled Bangladesh with ALL major components being imported.
I hate the Pajero though, it is driven by corrupt officials and as*holes. Pajero in Spanish literally translates to wanker :lol:

Nissan,hyundai(except i something),cherry, BMW,Mercedes, kia, Honda (except Honda city from india) are imported from country of origin.

Its true that Ford and Toyota are imported from Indian plants and thats why people go for the reconditioned Japanese ones although due to tax structure they end up paying double the retail price.

If the country is capable of producing the product, why import the SAME product? I have observed Bangladeshi manufactured Listerine mouthwash on the shelves, coupled with Listerine mouthwash imported from Thailand. WHY? WHY?? The same story for Sunsilk shampoo. Don't get me started on the rest of the imported shampoo brands like Pantene, Garnier Fructise (very popular due to Indian ads on cable TV ), Dove, etc, they just flood the shelves.

Guess you are mixing up superstore offers with local departmental stores. One always has better options when they shop at superstores.

You would be surprised to know how much happy BD will be if there were no Indian investments.:lol:
Fine.I would be happy too.In fact i want Indian giants to open up factories in India .More Indians will get employed in that way and industrial sector will grow.But do remember one thing , allowing Indian firms to operate smoothly in Bangladesh will be a sort of litmus test for future investments coming into the country.If Indian companies are not allowed to operate smoothly , no other company will come .

@ Then why in our country. There are many countries in Africa, go there why you people are so much interested once Sh Hasina has come to power. Look east, "Purbo digonte surjo uthache rukto lal rukto lal".

Because of opportunities.Tell me which African country has a population going into hundreds of millions.Where is the opportunity in Africa.Another reason is less costs.When a plant is set up there is a term known as annual operating cost(AOC) and another term known as annual worth.Both are less in Bangladesh as compared to India.People in bangladesh already buy Indian cars.Why not produce them in the country itself since it will be cheaper in that way.Indian investments in Bangladesh will benefit the people of Bangladesh in terms of more employment and cheaper car prices as well the govenment in terms of increased tax revenues.My concern though is the anti-India sentiment which is present in several sections of the Bangladeshi society.Opening plants in bd is not a bad option from a business point of view but political considertions must be taken into account.

BTW for your kind information TATA is already contemplating setting up an automobile plant in Eygypt.

If Indian companies are not allowed to operate smoothly , no other company will come .

"If Indian companies are not allowed to operate smoothly, no other company will come", what a load of arrogant BS, It’s this crap that makes Indians look cheap, grow up. PS the Koreans, Chinese, Japanese etc…companies have been and will continue to invest!

Why we are going so hyper for this 1500 crore investment, then again from 50 Indian companies. Pran itself is investing 1500 crore in NE India.

Why we are going so hyper for this 1500 crore investment, then again from 50 Indian companies. Pran itself is investing 1500 crore in NE India.

When did that happen? According to old news reports they were planning to invest Tk450 Crore.

Pran, one of the leading food processing companies in the country, wants to invest around Rs 300 crore (Tk450 crore) to set up five food processing plants in parts of India with a vision to stand up as a regional brand.

Pran will raise a major portion of the fund by borrowing from Indian banks and financial institutions for establishing these factories in Tripura, Orissa and Tamil Nadu in the next five years, Deputy Managing Director of the company Ahsan Khan Chowdhury told The Daily Star yesterday.

The company officials said construction of the first plant will begin in October 2008 at an industrial estate in Agartala, capital of Tripura. Tripura is one of the seven states of the north-eastern India. The cost for establishing the plant has been estimated at Rs 25 crore (Tk 37 crore), Chowdhury said, adding that the plant will mainly process fruit juice and food products to cater to the need of the local Indian market.”

Pran officials said the company had chosen Tripura due to its closeness

Pran to invest Tk 450cr in Indian venture

Am not sure, but if PRAN plans to raise a major portion of the fund by borrowing from Indian banks, would it still count as foreign investment?

Because of opportunities.Tell me which African country has a population going into hundreds of millions.Where is the opportunity in Africa.Another reason is less costs.When a plant is set up there is a term known as annual operating cost(AOC) and another term known as annual worth.Both are less in Bangladesh as compared to India.People in bangladesh already buy Indian cars.Why not produce them in the country itself since it will be cheaper in that way.Indian investments in Bangladesh will benefit the people of Bangladesh in terms of more employment and cheaper car prices as well the govenment in terms of increased tax revenues.My concern though is the anti-India sentiment which is present in several sections of the Bangladeshi society.Opening plants in bd is not a bad option from a business point of view but political considertions must be taken into account.

BTW for your kind information TATA is already contemplating setting up an automobile plant in Eygypt.

@ Look Ganga, Indian heavy trucks/vechiles are cheap in comparision with UK,Japan and other countries. So, we are buying it from your country. So, you can establish these heavy plants in Bangladesh. Earlier we used to import moter byke from Japan but now we are now buying from you, it is cheaper. Earlier we used to import scooter/baby taxi from Italy but now we are buying from your country(Bajaj). But I have a reservation about light vechiles. We had been using light vechiles since the British period. After 1947, people are used to re-condition vechiles. So, within a short span of time we cannot change our teste.

@ Now, once we establish TaTa auto heavy plant in our country, after some time donnot force us to buy military transport from your these factories though since 1997 you people are trying your best with your's paid lobbies.

If you dont like them, dont buy them, it's as simple as that. Seems all bangladeshis here were born rich and devoid of ground reality. Not every tom, dick and harry in subcontinent drive a mercedes or volkswagen. Tata, Maruti target the middle class who will be content with buying a car which comes withing 5-6 lakhs INR.

Rich brats can always import customized Ferraris.

Well heck anyways, nothing beats a rickshaw ride because of traffic jams in Dhaka and if its raining then its all so cool, except if one runs into a hidden ditch.
Also the fact that its takes only 3'0" of clearance to pull one through the tango.

Well heck anyways, nothing beats a rickshaw ride because of traffic jams in Dhaka
and if its raining then its all so cool, except if one runs into a hidden ditch.
Also the fact that its takes only 3'0" of clearance to pull one through the tango.

Yeah! Something needs to be done about Dhakas traffic! It took me 3 hours to get to Narayanganj from Dhaka. Its not even 25 KM:blink:

Instead of importing automobiles and establishing assembly lines of automobiles from fellow Malaysian, Indonesian, Iranian or Turkish automakers, the Hindutva stooges want to step up the presence of their "Akhand Bharat" dreaming overlords on Bangladeshi soil?

Back
Top Bottom