What's new

India won't pay any fees for transshipment thru’ roads

CaPtAiN_pLaNeT

Reaction score

FE Report

Shipping minister Shahjahan Khan said India will not pay any charges for using port and roads to transship its over dimensional consignment (ODC) right now.

He said India will however pay the charges as required under the river protocol.

The minister said this today Tuesday during the signing ceremony of memorandum of understanding (MoU) to allow India to transship ODCs for its power project in Tripura through Bangladesh river and road routes.

The MoU signed between Roads and Highways Department (RHD) and Tripura Power Company (OTPC) at the Shipping Ministry's conference room will allow India to start construction of the Ashuganj-Akhaura road and renovation of Ashuganj port to facilitate the transshipment.

RHD chief engineer Md Azizur Rahman and OTPC senior advisor RK Madan signed the MoU on behalf of their respective sides.

Shipping secretary Md Abdul Mannan Howlader and Communications secretary Mozzammel Haque Khan also spoke on the occasion.

Indian Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONDC) will transship a total of 92 ODCs including eight overweight consignments through Ashuganj-Akhaura road via Ashuganj port from 2012.

To do so, some renovation work of the port and construction and widening of the road at a cost of Tk 250 million under the Indian state credit will be needed.

The shipping minister said with the signing of MoU, both India and Bangladesh will be benefited as India will construct the 49 kilometre road widening it to 18 feet.

"This will make the roads fit to carry heavy consignment not only for them but also others who will use it in the future," said the minister.

He, however, told the journalists that the finance ministry and national board of revenue will decide on fixing any charges to India for transshipment in future.

The shipping minister said India has been paying Bangladesh service charge since long under the 1972 protocol.

The shipping secretary said the construction of the Ashuganj-Akhaura road will begin next month with a target to complete it by 2012.

He said India will carry entire work of the construction under the supervision of Bangladesh's RHD involving both India and Bangladesh contractors.

"The country will also fix up damage while carrying out the ODCs," he said adding that friendly relations between the two countries would be increased with the signing of MoU and future cooperation among each other.

I am just wondering whose purpose this bd government is trying to serve... bds or indians... :mad:

I am just wondering whose purpose this bd government is trying to serve... bds or indians... :mad:

Brother. This government doesn't represent Bd population at all. If you analysis their activity from day one then It would be clear as water. All Bangladeshi nationalist irrespective of ideology must unit and oust these Bharati Dalals from BD land if we are to see a wealthy free Bangladesh in future.

Movement already taking place and Bangladeshi already made their mind about them Munafiqs. They have seen enough.

Allahu Akbar. Bangladesh Zindabad.

Even you as Bharati would agree with me that Awami ghaddar league actually working for Bharati's interest over Bd population. :undecided:

India using BD land for transit and your gov charge under the river protocol.
If you look at BDs geographical position so its beneficial for India to use your land but if BD government put to much fee for this so we can use alternatively our land so i dnt thing BD have so much choice.

Instead of thanks try to return this favor.... if your bharti government can...

they are building the infrastructure all along the route. The general public and business will benefit from it as well.
We will also be covering damages to the roads.
I agree, there are some details missing in the article. It left a few questions unanswered.

If i was PM of india i would pay double than wat BD asks...But i'm not the PM..
Anyways Thank u bangladesh...
U r a great country...

they are building the infrastructure all along the route. The general public and business will benefit from it as well.
We will also be covering damages to the roads.
I agree, there are some details missing in the article. It left a few questions unanswered.

India is not building any thing.. just get it...n the roads they are building hardly bd people use it as it will go from benapol to agartola... n basically mainly the thing which will happen here is carpeting of the road or to expand it side wise thats it...1 billion is not a big amount... n the amount will be given to bd as a loan for the use of indians not for any development..

India is not building any thing.. just get it...n the roads they are building hardly bd people use it as it will go from benapol to agartola... n basically mainly the thing which will happen here is carpeting of the road or to expand it side wise thats it...1 billion is not a big amount... n the amount will be given to bd as a loan for the use of indians not for any development..

like i said, the article left me a bit confused. If what you are saying is indeed true, then it is wrong and shouldn't be done. What do you, as a citizen plan to do?

Back
Top Bottom