What's new

India to outpace China in 2011: WB

BBC News - Accommodation problems persist for Delhi athletes

Please give me the same content of India news. In fact there are more, I do not know if it is too offensive, and if possible, I do not want to send.

Look, when you can take so much pain and hunt out an old article from BBC, you most certainly can search in the websites of times of India, Times Now, NDTV, and a hundred others. I live in India, and I read the morning papers daily, and I watch TV news every night. I know how fcuking horrible the coverage was, prior to the games. Everything that these Western media people got was simply picked out of the India media.

Here is just one link out of thousands I can give you: Times of India Publications

If you want to endlessly argue and debate about something, the onus is on you to search the Indian media sites and convince yourself about the facts. You have access to google, just type some negative keywords along with Indian news site names, see how many thousands you will get.

You are wrong about the Indian media, and you jolly well admit it. Stop arguing about such an obvious thing and realize that you were wrong.

EVERYTHING about the CWG was exposed by the Indian media. The Western media simply picked up all the news from the Indian media. In the run-up to the CWG, every news article, every night talk show, every front page headline, was about Kalmadi, CWG, corruption, Kalmadi, Kalmadi, OC, infrastructure, Kalmadi and more Kalmadi! I have not seen such a massive media barrage against anything in the recent past, in my memory.

Excellent coverage by the Indian press.

Sorry i can not see, not subscribe.

It does not require subscription. Anyhow, why don't you do as I said? Just search for keywords like "cwg news ****** times of india" in google. Replace times of india with other Indian news channels and newspaper names, and you will get your answer.

The lesson is, do not assume something to be true just because you think it is so. Verify that your assumption is correct before making a statement. And in this case, it is sooo easy to verify with the entire internet on your fingertips!

Edit: the censors here are not allowing me to type f-i-l-t-h-y (that is the word that has been starred out (****) above)

COMMONWEALTH GAMES: 'Little people' take centre stage at JLN Stadium | More than the games

Spare a thought for poor old Sapolai Yao of Papua New Guinea who hauled his tiny frame around the 3000m steeplechase final on Monday.

Yao, clearly shattered in the searing Delhi heat used his loaf as he approached the water jump and stood on a plant pot to ensure he got himself over the hurdle.

It begs the question what on earth the plant pots were doing there in the first place but officials had no sympathy for Yao, who is 152cm, or a shade under five feet tall.

He was unceremoniously disqualified from the race which was once more dominated by Kenya as Richard Mateelong led a 1-2-3 home.

Yao is no stranger to the spotlight and he was adored by the Australian public for his efforts in the steeplechase final at Melbourne 2006, where he managed an admirable ninth.

Meanwhile, Niue, a South Pacific island with an estimated population of less than 2000, were at least given their 15 minutes of fame in the men's 4x100m relay heats.

Well, it didn't quite take them 15 minutes to complete the race but they were more than four-and-a-half second adrift of Singapore when they crossed the line.

They did not finish last however. Disqualifications for Gambia and the Cayman Islands ensured the Niue quartet finished fourth in their heat - something to tell the grandkids I suppose.

And then there is 200m champion Cydonie Mothersill. As the Cayman Island national anthem blared out in the JLN Stadium, it didn't make for easy listening.

Now I'm not au fait with the Cayman Islands national anthem but I hope it was being played out of tune - it sounded like someone had thrown those security guard monkeys some instruments and told them to do their worst.

But Mothersill was not fazed. She was grinning from ear to ear as she belted out all the words - how many of England's athletes can say they've done that during the painfully drawn out rendition of Jerusalem?

Excellent coverage by the Indian press.

Well, I did feel they went a bit overboard. The media frenzy started feeding on itself. But overall, yes, it was a good kick in the butt for the nation. That's what made the organizers pull themselves up and deliver an awesome games enentually! In the absence of such glare, maybe the organizers would have simply left things unfinished and expected the athletes to "adjust". I wouldn't put it past our asshole bureaucrats to do something like that!

Why are we discussing CWG games in the thread meant to discuss the economic growth rates. Stop feeding the troll.

Why are we discussing CWG games in the thread meant to discuss the economic growth rates. Stop feeding the troll.

Precisely! :hitwall:

When he has access to google and all the Indian media articles, how can he be so dishonest? Either he is genuinely clueless, or he is simply a troll. If he is genuinely clueless, let us see if he has the honesty to admit his mistake now.

India news you are more familiar with than me. If you can find, I will admit with a straightforward, though I still think it was a high cost.

BBC - Tom Fordyce: Alternative Commonwealth medal ceremony

Alternative Commonwealth medal ceremony
Post categories: Commonwealth Games

Tom Fordyce | 17:16 UK time, Thursday, 14 October 2010

After 11 days of competition in 17 different sports by 71 nations, the 19th Commonwealth Games has come to an end.

A total of 272 gold medals have been dished out - that's a lot of precious metal. But as a way of reminding ourselves of what Delhi was all about, why don't we dish out a few more?

Most Memorable Moment

For those of us at the JN Stadium, nothing could beat the deafening noise of India's 4x400m relay team - Manjeet Kaur, Sini Jose, Ashwini Chidananda Akkunji and Mandeep Kaur - coming home to take a shock gold.

It was louder than Beijing's Bird's Nest ever was, louder too than even Berlin during Usain Bolt's comparatively greater achievements during last summer's World Championships.

For those across town at the hockey, where India came from 3-1 down with 20 minutes left on the clock to beat England in a nerve-shredding penalty shoot-out, the athletics barely registered. Later that night debate raged about who had experienced the greater slice of sport. We're still arguing.

India beat England in thrilling hockey semi-final (because of rights restrictions this is available to UK users only)

Friendly Games Award for Friendliness

Every attempt to get into a venue involved at least 20 minutes of pat-downs, bag searches, bleeping security arches and wailing metal detectors, often one after another in rapid succession and with frequent duplication.

What stopped this being onerous was the immense politeness and friendliness of every soldier, policeman and security guard you met.

Never before have I had 10 men holding machine-guns waving and smiling at me as I walked by; never before has my 5 live colleague Chessie Bent been saluted by a platoon of riflemen merely for presenting her media accreditation.

Inside the venues it was the same story from the red-and-white shirted volunteers - big smiles and a tangible, genuine sense of pride that the Commonwealths had come to Delhi.

Worst Use Of Non-Sporting Equipment

The 3,000 steeplechase can be an exhausting event. Just ask Papua New Guinea's Sapolai Yao, who decided to use a nearby pot-plant to help him get over a barrier late in the race.

Most watching on were charmed - the exception being the track officials, who disqualified him immediately. Harsh, although probably fair.

Papua New Guinea's Yao gets help in steeplechase (because of rights restrictions this is available to UK users only)

Strictest Security Scenario

That the Games passed off without a single security alert was one of the organisers' great triumphs. Enormous credit is due. Within that bigger picture, however, were some rather draconian measures.

The spectators who had coins and house-keys taken from them were understandably miffed, as was the old man who had his slim paperback book confiscated on the basis that he might use it as a missile, while fans who had their water and sunscreen taken away were then unable to buy any more inside the stadiums.

The most unfortunate individual? The chap halted for attempting to bring three jam doughnuts into the athletes' village. First the security guard made him take a bite from one, to prove it actually was a sugary pastry rather than something less palatable in disguise. With jam still dribbling down chin, he then made him polish off the entire doughnut, just to be sure.

Finally, shaking his head, he pointed to the remaining doughnuts, waggled his finger and took them away, possibly to be destroyed in a controlled explosion. You can never be too careful.

Best Breakthrough Act

Before Monday evening, India hadn't won a Commonwealth track and field gold since the Flying Sikh, Milkha Singh, stormed to the 400m title in Cardiff 52 years ago.

So when Krishna Poonia, Harvant Kaur and Seema Antil made it a home one-two-three in the women's discus, it did more than just lift the roof off the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium.

Whether that clean sweep will change the perception of athletics in India we will have to see, but history, without doubt, had been made.

Biggest Homeland Hero

I liked everything about freestyle wrestling legend Sushil Kumar, from his brutal demolition of everyone in his path to the way he acted as a conduit for India's long and passionate love affair with the grapple game.

The atmosphere at his fights was spine-tingling, the Delhites' confidence in his abilities absolute. In return, Sushil left no-one in any doubt about his inspiration.

"Fear is something I don't think much about," he said after taking 66kg gold. "I have the blessing of the entire nation, and that gives me the strength to overcome anything."

Pantomime Performer of Fortnight

Please step forward Mr Suresh Kalmadi, chairman of the organising committee, booed at the opening ceremony yet never remotely cowed and producer of remarkable statements on a daily basis. A small selection:

After that opening ceremony: "Yes, Princess Diana was there," he said, before correcting himself. "Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall. Now they have gone off and they appreciated all the efforts made here."

On the small crowds: "We will give tickets to children and the lower in society."

An exchange with the BBC's Matthew Pinsent:

MP - I was at the shooting venue yesterday. This is a question for Mr Kalmadi: There were only 30 spectators. I wondered if you had a comment.

SK - I don't think there were 30 spectators. I was there myself and there were a few hundred. Please, I was there myself so I tell you there were a few hundred.

MP - I can give you the pictures, Sir. We can count them together if you like.

On the cycling road race, as live TV pictures showed the centre of Delhi to be completely empty: ""There were enough people there. There is no shortage of crowds anywhere."

Fans from around the world have attended the Games in Delhi

Most Colourful Character

There was also everything to like about Australian diver Matthew Mitcham.

Not only was he one of the few openly gay athletes at the Games, and entirely comfortable in his position as role model ("I want to do the best job I can because I believe it is important to have someone who is happy to be themselves") but he had a back-story to make nonsense of the stereotype of the one-dimensional professional sportsman.

Mitcham once paid off his debts by working as a clown, diving from a tower into a small tank to amuse children (memo to Tom Daley: be thankful for Lottery funding). He also once dressed up as a unicorn to go to a Lady Gaga concert in Sydney. Who said champions had to be boring?

Villain of the Games

Choose Nigeria's Damola Osayemi, stripped of her gold medal from the 100m after testing positive for methylhexaneamine, and TVNZ's anchor Paul Henry for repeatedly mispronouncing Delhi chief minister Sheila Dikshit's name live on air. When the New Zealand prime minister has to get involved, you know it's gone too far.

Most Improved Performers

Prior to this, India's previous best medal haul at a Commonwealths was the 30 golds and 73 overall won in Manchester eight years ago. In their own capital they blew that away, finishing second in the medal table for the first time with 38 gold and 101 in total.

For a nation which only won its first individual Olympic gold two years ago, it was a stunning and seminal performance. The challenge when the celebrations here die down: can it continue that improvement at London 2012 and Glasgow 2014?

Best Facial Expression

If sporting success is all about passion and desire, nothing illustrated that quite as vividly as the look on Mark Lewis-Francis's chops as he made up a huge deficit on the anchor leg of the 4x100m relay final to secure England gold.

Eyes out on stalks, jaw jutting forward, there wasn't even a thought that Jamaica's five metre lead couldn't be overhauled. The celebrations as he dipped on the line to take gold told a similar tale.

Most Notable Numbers

Forget the finishing times for the men's 100m or scores for Tom Daley's final dive; the most impressive stats came at from the kitchens at the athletes' village.

Each day, 36,000 meals were cooked for athletes and volunteers. Among the items consumed each day: 800 pizzas, 12,000 eggs, 4292 assorted muffins, 1457 croissants, 3268 parathas, 363 kg bananas, 800 kg chips and 800 kg potato wedges. After all, exercise does make one hungry.

Easiest Headline To Write

Hats off to Aussie husband and wife Jared and Claire Tallent, who underlined the appropriateness of their names by taking gold in the men's 20km walk and silver in the women's. Sub-editors around the world gave silent praise.

Best Performance From Local Wildlife

Some would nominate the stray dog that appeared in the athletics stadium mid-session and, to loud applause, ran a quick 200m before disappearing down the officials' tunnel. Others preferred the cobra that was lying in wait for four South African swimmers in their room at the athletes' village.

For me it has to be the langur monkeys, brought in to get rid of the smaller monkeys with barely a thought given to the parable of the old woman who swallowed a fly. What if the langurs began to misbehave, we wondered - would they then release tigers, and then elephants.

Oh we of little faith. The langurs, rented from expert trainers and kept on tight leashes at all time, performed their bouncers' role superbly. Except for the one that scratched a BBC colleague on the hand as it tried to steel his BlackBerry. Five anti-rabies injections later, he's still smiling.

Least Visible Star

We heard so much about Shera, the Games' tiger mascot, before the Games. So where he/she/it went during competition? My first sighting was at the boxing on the penultimate night. My final one was during a short segment on Indian television. And that was it. Berlino, we shall never see your like again.

Most Embarrassing Blunder

At the start we had collapsing bridges, scoreboards falling down and India's bantamweight boxer Akhil Kumar narrowly escaping injury when the bed in his room at the Games Village collapsed under him.

A week in the official Commonwealth Games website had USA, Philippines, Korea, Japan and Great Britain all listed as participants.

At the end, New Zealand's Stuart Farquhar threw 77m in the javelin final, only to find officials initially recording it as 72m. We all make mistakes, but many of Delhi's were entirely avoidable.

Most Unlikely Urban Myth

With so many tales doing the rounds, it was inevitable that some would become inflated or completely fabricated.

The most eyebrow-raising: the 10 metre diving board actually being 10.7m high; the African athlete spotted drinking from the swimming pool; and my personal favourite, English athletics coach George Gandy being stopped in the street and hailed as a descendant of the great Mahatma. Truly remarkable.

Most Important Turnaround

For the first few days, the crowds at the various venues were so poor they could barely be described as spartan.

Fewer than 30 people watched Indian hero Abhinav Bindra win the country's first gold of the Games, while only around a tenth of seats at the national hockey stadium were taken for the Indian women's team's first match. The cycling road races around central Delhi were almost entirely bereft of spectators.

Over the final few days, however, the situation was turned on its head. Weightlifting was watched by partisan thousands, the hockey semi-final between England and India thousands more.

A look back at the best and worst moments of the 2010 Delhi Games [UK users only]

Even better, the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium went from having acres of empty blue seats to near its 60,000 capacity for the final two nights of athletics. It brought Delhi's Commonwealths to a crescendo that those present on those nights will struggle to forget.

I know that there are some Indian media reports at the beginning, but that is very different. I have posted the content. As for why, just to be a confirmation of India's press freedom.

I know there are some Indian media reports at the beginning, but that is very different. I have posted the content. As for why, just to be a confirmation of India's press freedom.

I'm not able to understand your point, or your questions. India has complete press freedom, and only a person with absolutely no knowledge will doubt that fact. Are you questioning this? Seriously, you've got to be crazy.

I know that there are some Indian media reports at the beginning, but that is very different. I have posted the content. As for why, just to be a confirmation of India's press freedom.

@huzi... If you are looking for an exact report in Indian media... you may not find it... they don't involve in plagiarism. But I showed you the links from Indian media in similar lines to your reply that you didn't see any negative reports from the Indian media. If that does not satisfy you, you are free to have a run over the internet and use your censored search results to have a field day.

Back
Top Bottom