What's new

India to outpace China in 2011: WB

let me tell you a story known to many Chinese:

in China, when you talk about corruption, it means officials take 10% project budget home and get the job done. 30 years after 1978, the infrastructure in China is just amazing.

in India, when you talk about corruption, it means democratically elected officials take 90% budget home and left the projects to be dead (e.g. commonwealth game and the 2008 Olympic game in Beijing, compare it yourself). 60+ years since independence, 60+ years being a democratic country, indians still couldn't get any real city comparable to the ones we have in our poor provinces in China.

btw: Mumbai is like Shanghai in 1950s. 60s gap is also widening.

You are overestimating your self. May be you will be better in many sectors but not this much my dear.

@ Peaceful you are comparing today's China with India that is , acceptably, about 10-12 years behind you.

Don't forget, we started the reform process more than a decade after you did.

I suggest you compare today's India with China of a decade back, say 2000.

Moreover, Indians are happy with their democracy and Chinese are , apparently, happy with their one-party system. So what's the problem?

Last edited:
Most Chinese look at India with great sympathy. Without the heavy baggage of your fake democracy, your nation could be far better off.

Please don't take me for wrong, democracy is great, but the problem is you guys are being set back by a fake democracy in your country.

No flaming please.

Also don't speak for all Chinese people. Maybe you can speak for yourself and your close friends in Taiwan, but not for "most Chinese".

most chinese do not know anything about india other than elephants and magical oil. recently the sympathy part is true though: we read about the 1 billion USD mansion.

let me tell you a story known to many Chinese:
in China, when you talk about corruption, it means officials take 10% project budget home and get the job done. 30 years after 1978, the infrastructure in China is just amazing.

in India, when you talk about corruption, it means democratically elected officials take 90% budget home and left the projects to be dead (e.g. commonwealth game and the 2008 Olympic game in Beijing, compare it yourself). 60+ years since independence, 60+ years being a democratic country, indians still couldn't get any real city comparable to the ones we have in our poor provinces in China.

Nice bedtime story here,how about facts:

According to Corruption Perceptions Index (CPI) ordering the countries of the world according to "the degree to which corruption is perceived to exist among public officials and politicians".

As of 2009,India and China both come in the category 3-3.9

i.e India at 3.4,China at 3.6.

Despite the fact that Indian media is rabid and corruption is a mainstream part of our movie culture.

Also,i find it rather naive that you attribute corruption as parameter for effectiveness of democracy.

According to global democracy Index.

The factors that influence are:
1. "Whether national elections are free and fair";
2. "The security of voters";
3. "The influence of foreign powers on government";
4. "The capability of the civil servants to implement policies".

As of 2008,India score is 7.80 lower than Taiwan at 7.82 both being considered flawed democracies.

Despite Taiwan being far wealthier and India being more diverse than entire Europe.

I think the word that you must be looking for is Inefficient not fake

btw: Mumbai is like Shanghai in 1950s. 60s gap is also widening.

Do you even know what Shanghai was in the 1990s?

I hope this image helps you:

On the top is Shanghai in 1990,below its Shanghai in 2010.

shanghai_1990_vs_2010.jpg

In my perception Mumbai of 2010 some way resembles Hong Kong of 1980s :Concerte skysrcapers, soaring real-estate prices,slums,underworld crime etc.

I think some Chinese members who"ve visited/lived in Hong Kong in 1980s can help me here

Last edited:
most chinese do not know anything about india other than elephants and magical oil. recently the sympathy part is true though: we read about the 1 billion USD mansion.

You got to be kidding me...China is a poor country with a GDP per capita less than Mexico or just about that. This is not the time for you guys to be sympathizing India. China is still a poor country. Just like Americans think that China means sweat labor (even though some of the latest solar fabs are in China and China has become the largest investor in renewable energy resources), you may think that India is just elephants and oil without realizing that India does have a robust private sector and entrepreneurial structure, and vibrant financial markets. They too are making progress. The American consumerism has declined permanently. It is time for Indian and Chinese consumers to pick up the slack, and get the global trade moving. It is pretty disingenuous for Chinese and Indians to be comparing with each other at this point. They need to multiply their national wealth by an orde of magnitude at the same time.

I think to be more accurate the sympathy part was true.

China in 1940s and 50s had sympathy for India,India was seen as victims of colonialism and imperialism.

You got to be kidding me...China is a poor country with a GDP per capita less than Mexico or just about that. This is not the time for you guys to be sympathizing India. China is still a poor country. Just like Americans think that China means sweat labor (even though some of the latest solar fabs are in China and China has become the largest investor in renewable energy resources), you may think that India is just elephants and oil without realizing that India does have a robust private sector and entrepreneurial structure, and vibrant financial markets. They too are making progress. The American consumerism has declined permanently. It is time for Indian and Chinese consumers to pick up the slack, and get the global trade moving. It is pretty disingenuous for Chinese and Indians to be comparing with each other at this point. They need to multiply their national wealth by an orde of magnitude at the same time.

Thank God, even though I am atheist, fortunately, we are not in Mexico, near from the United States, but also the most suffering.

As for China, you do not know enough, because you believe your media, as india, we have sufficient understanding. Americans can continue to believe the media, I do not disagree.

Last edited:
You got to be kidding me...China is a poor country with a GDP per capita less than Mexico or just about that. This is not the time for you guys to be sympathizing India.

Thats going a bit far............GDP per capita for country like China with over a billion people will obviously be low.

If its poverty as of 2009 its 15.9%

Also in terms of HDI many of China's provinces are comparable to that of certain European states.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Chinese_administrative_divisions_by_Human_Development_Index

This so called sympathy, is a product of negative stereotypes they have about India.

Just like how Indians have about China.

Last edited:
In my perception Mumbai of 2010 some way resembles Hong Kong of 1980s :Concerte skysrcapers, soaring real-estate prices,slums,underworld crime etc.

I think some Chinese members who"ve visited/lived in Hong Kong in 1980s can help me here

Your description of Hong Kong in the 1980's sounds about correct to me. :tup:

Although I would say that the level organised crime, has been exaggerated by the Hong Kong film industry. In actual fact, Hong Kong nowadays has one of the lowest crime rates in the world.

Thats going a bit far............GDP per capita for country like China with over a billion people will obviously be low.

If its poverty as of 2009 its 15.9%

Also in terms of HDI many of China's provinces are comparable to that of certain European states.

This so called sympathy, is a product of negative stereotypes they have about India.

Just like how Indians have about China.

I can only say that there are negative and sincere, if not India's provocation, most will be sincere, even so, we will not mock the bottom of the Indian people, we have past history, however. Indian elite should be mocked, no problem. Another was mocking are some advocates, advocating India's democracy, they should be mocked. In fact, India being dissected in China. However, it does not matter and India, only because some of our internal debate, some debate about the path of development.

Last edited:

You guys must be kiddin..The value of building is $1 billion which includes Land as well. The construction cost him only $77 million but because of the exorbitant real estate value in Mumbai, the value of the land raised 15 times, which is reflected as 1 billion.

Its his money, he can do whatever he wants. Yet, he is one of the leading Job providers in India. India is democratic country where Individual has certain rights not like communist China. Please if you are happy with your way of life, good for you, but please don't rub it in our face. We aren't doing badly either.

I can only say that there are negative and sincere, if not India's provocation, most will be sincere, even so, we will not mock the bottom of the Indian people, we have past history, however. Indian elite who should be mocked, no problem. Another was mocking are some advocates, advocating India's democracy, they should be mocked. In fact, India is planing solutions in China. However, it does not matter and India, but because some of our internal debate, some debate about the path of development.

Sorry buddy.. Don't have a clue of what you said there..

Back
Top Bottom