What's new

India takes up AWACS programme, can penetrate enemy territory

Japan doesn't sell offensive weapon platforms to any countries, their first offer to India is Shimawya US-2 Amphibious aircraft.

Life cycle cost mainly includes over hauling of the engine, upgrading processors and onboard computing equipments, replacing T/R modules with more efficient ones.

The cost involved in maintaining the rotodome will be minuscule to consider over the total platform cost.

Well but seems like the airforces all over the world are shifting to the triangular arrangement....so it must offer more capabilities compared to the rotodome right

Well but seems like the airforces all over the world are shifting to the triangular arrangement....so it must offer more capabilities compared to the rotodome right

Yes, i'm not denying their inherent advantage. But i'm more into cost effective solutions deployed in more numbers to cover a wide area and with maximum uptime.

Yes, i'm not denying their inherent advantage. But i'm more into cost effective solutions deployed in more numbers to cover a wide area and with maximum uptime.

That is why we have the awacs system based on the EMB 145I platform. This post talks about a AWACS with the command module in it.

i had heard that they were reconsidering this decades old ban on selling weapons, i don't know if this is true, but if they really do scrap that law and agree to sell weapons, what do you think, should we scrap the further orders for P-8I and go for P-1 Kawasaki?

As a platform it is better, but i'm not bullish on Japanese AESA radar. And Indian P-8Is are equipped with APY-10 multi mission radar, and it can be used to attack ground targets too.

Raytheon Company: AN/APY-10

That is why we have the awacs system based on the EMB 145I platform. This post talks about a AWACS with the command module in it.

Since the number of AWACS will be smaller than AEW&Cs, so the uptime is even more important in this case.

Yes thats is why we need atleast 6 AWACS systems supported by 20 AEW&C systems. But an AWAC offering more capabilities than the present generation is more than necessary. There must be more capabilities in one aircraft. quality is also important.

I looked up sources, and few things came up.

1. Rotodome generates lift to counter balance it's on weight, other platforms do not. And it saves weight.
2. Significantly cheaper that balanced beam versions.
3. Provides true 360 degree coverage, while balanced beam does have a blind spot (in X-band).

I looked up sources, and few things came up.

1. Rotodome generates lift to counter balance it's on weight, other platforms do not. And it saves weight.
2. Significantly cheaper that balanced beam versions.
3. Provides true 360 degree coverage, while balanced beam does have a blind spot (in X-band).

And the disadvantages?

AWACS have rotating dome with 360 degree coverage and much higher tracking range and can track many more targets that AEW&C. So the prices of AWACS are much higher than AEW&Cs.

AEW&Cs are cheaper platform having coverage ranging between 150-240 degree, based on a lighter platform. And having some sort of SIGINT capabilities.
accha ei bomb ta ki pakistani H-2/H-4 moto "guided glide bomb" ??? etar labh ki??

Bujhlam na, clearly bolun dada. :)
eije last'e je bomb tar kotha boleche na saraswat je indegenously built & test koreche... ta ota ki pakistani der banano H-2/H-4 bomb er moto??? H-2 bomb 60km glide kote pare,while H-4 120km glide korte pare...r ei glide bomb diye ki kaj hoye??? tahole missile diye'e to hoye jai.... LGB r jodi JDAM er moto kichu banale kaj'e dito na ki?? :)

Apparently, none.

But requires a heavier platform.

Yes which is also not cost effective. the moving parts inside causes it to be more prone to malfunction which is not there in the triangular arrangement. More EW systems can be placed in that space or a lighter system saves more fuel. All these things give more advantages to the fixed triangular arrangement. and more processors also translates to better resolution and scanning.

India has just taken up development of the Rs 6,000 crore Airborne Warning and Control System (AWACS) that will have the capability to penetrate “longer distances” enemy territory by way of radars and electronic warfare systems without venturing into the region physically, a top defense official said on Friday.

Scientific Advisor to Defence Minister, Secretary in the Department of Defense (R&D) and Director General of Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) VK Saraswat said DRDO just started the programme, after clearance from the government recently.

Asked how it’s different from the indigenous Airborne Early Warning and Control (AEW&C) system, he said: “AWACS is a heavier and high endurance system, which can give you in terms of coverage about 360 degrees as against AEW&C which is about 270 degree coverage.”

In addition, (compared to AEW&C) AWACS flies at a higher altitude and it can penetrate into the enemy territory – not physically – (but) by way of radars and EW (electronic warfare) systems to longer distances and it can be in sky for larger durations, besides giving better visibility.

“Both has a role. All over the world, people have AEW&C and AWACS in a tandem mode because each one does its role and that’s what our country is also doing”, Saraswat said.

He said two AEW&C aircraft would be ready this year, adding, “By 2014, we will complete delivery of all the three aircraft (AEW&C) to Indian Air Force”.

Meanwhile, Saraswat also said that the DRDO has conducted a flight of “guided bomb”. “It’s a bomb which can fly for about 40-50 or even more kilometres in a guided mode and it can be released from an aircraft,” he said

He said the guided bomb is a totally indigenous effort, from designing, development and realisation including explosive content in them, as also guidance and control.

Source: http://www.defence.pk/forums/indian...pment-bigger-awacs-project.html#ixzz2IzvVCbAB

Back
Top Bottom