What's new

India’s deep sea Mineral wealth worth Rs.7 lakh cr only

Hellraiser007

Reaction score
India’s deep sea Mineral wealth worth Rs.7 lakh cr only

In the retained area, the estimated polymetallic nodule resource potential is 380 million tons, containing 4.7 million tons of nickel, 4.29 million tons of copper and 0.55 million tons of cobalt and 92.59 million tons of manganese.

179393423550477b681ba3e.jpg

NEW DELHI(Commodity Online): Strategically important metals explored so far and expected to be extracted in the Indian Ocean region under India from polymetallic nodules are copper, nickel, cobalt and manganese as alloy and their (exempting the last) estimated value is expected to be about Rs.700,000 crores at prevalent price.

This is according to Minister of State in the Ministry of Planning, Science & Technology and Earth Sciences Dr. Ashwani Kumar as said to Indian Parliament on Wednesday.

India was initially allotted an Area of 1,50,000 sq.km. in Central Indian Ocean Basin (CIOB) by the then Preparatory Commission of United Nations (UN) on 17th August, 1987 on the basis of extensive survey work carried out by the country.

As per obligations, India relinquished 50% of the Area in phases and retained 75,000 sq km. Ministry of Earth Sciences (MoES) as nodal ministry of Government of India, is engaged in the exploration activity in an area of 75000 sq. km in the CIOB allocated to India by UN, for developmental activities in the retained area.

In the retained area, the estimated polymetallic nodule resource potential is 380 million tons, containing 4.7 million tons of nickel, 4.29 million tons of copper and 0.55 million tons of cobalt and 92.59 million tons of manganese.

India signed a contract with International Seabed Authority (ISA) in March, 2002 for a period of 15 years for carrying out various developmental works (Survey & Exploration, Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) study, technology development in Mining and Metallurgy) in the retained area under Polymetallic Nodules programme.

It seems India is blessed with Indian ocean :)

Are we complaining that this is low? We have should be focused on discovering Indian and Indian ocean (global) resources and establishing key contracts in such areas at the same time. Till space become a reality, oceans are the next convenient potential source. We tend to have a problem undestanding quantity, we need to increase our efforts. We are not utilizing our huge population effective.

It's too small. We should not harm environment for that much minerals. Better import from outside.

It's too small. We should not harm environment for that much minerals. Better import from outside.

Wrong importing wont allow us to concentrate on the tech develpment. If we have the tech we can push to mine other;s areas that are rich. Such tech would be very important in the development of space tech.

Those minerals are found ones and there are yet to be discovered mineral wealth.

Below is the map which shows the mineral wealth sites

IndianOcean_1983_p257_CtryStudy.jpg

[Sarcasm Hat On] Let's go to SCS and forcefully mine the resources in the disputed territory. After all GOI is investing huge money in IN's modernization, it's time for IN to start giving the returns :P :devil::devil::devil: [HAT OFF]

There is possibility of huge reserves of minerals as we have a lot of area to explore ..i will be very glad if we find oil enough for us for next 50 years ...afterwards i dont think nature will allow us to use fossil fuel ..

[Sarcasm Hat On] Let's go to SCS and forcefully mine the resources in the disputed territory. After all GOI is investing huge money in IN's modernization, it's time for IN to start giving the returns :P :devil::devil::devil: [HAT OFF]

Just go and do some research about What IN is doing or how much it sailing . .

It is one of most hard job . . Not physically but mental pressure you had to take

Just go and do some research about What IN is doing or how much it sailing . .

It is one of most hard job . . Not physically but mental pressure you had to take

What's with the attitude dude? I was just being sarcastic and you got emotional !!!

Back
Top Bottom