What's new

India rejects TN resolution against Sri Lanka

Message is clear India do not want any violence in Lanka but will make the Srilankan Tamils a strong lobby so that they will protect Indian interests vis-a-vis China.

India gave INR 3,600 crore to Sri Lanka, additionally allocated INR 1,000 crore for constructing houses to IDPs: Minister P Chidambaram | Asian Tribune

India does not choose to prevent violence in Lanka - 1983 riots against Tamils which had somewhere upto 3000 tamils killed and had thousands of Tamils flee to India and various other countries as refugees(the setting stage for LTTE to come to power) and the more recent 2009 war crimes or today's news - SL muslims getting attacked - Indians need to know the history about the Sinhala chauvinism which exists for ages. They will not stop until they wipe out the minorities.

India does not choose to prevent violence in Lanka - 1983 riots against Tamils which had somewhere upto 3000 killed and had thousands of Tamils flee to India and various other countries as refugees(the setting stage for LTTE to come to power) and the more recent 2009 war crimes or today's news - SL muslims getting attacked - Indians need to know the history about the Sinhala chauvinism which exists for ages. They will not stop until they wipe out the minorities.

The riots occurring are of the internal problem of the Srilanka, so India cannot meddle in Lankan internal issues but India can voice its protest. Through UNHRC resolutions one can check mate any HR violations which India is doing.

The riots occurring are of the internal problem of the Srilanka, so India cannot meddle in Lankan internal issues but India can voice its protest. Through UNHRC resolutions one can check mate any HR violations which India is doing.

I don't understand this internal problem arguments - India time and again stuck its nose in SL affairs - arming LTTE, converting a non-violent SL tamil movement, using Indian defence assets in SL war of 2008-2009 are some examples. So India can't hide behind the claims of internal problem and sovereign country excuses.

I don't understand this internal problem arguments - India time and again stuck its nose in SL affairs - arming LTTE, converting a non-violent SL tamil movement, using Indian defence assets in SL war of 2008-2009 are some examples. So India can't hide behind the claims of internal problem and sovereign country excuses.

There are protocols and rules when directly dealing with other country's internal matters which may back fire on India. Are you suggesting India should intervene in Srilanka like what we did with IPKF?

At the time when IPKF was fighting Srianka reached an agreement with LTTE and so the move backfired.

India does not choose to prevent violence in Lanka - 1983 riots against Tamils which had somewhere upto 3000 tamils killed and had thousands of Tamils flee to India and various other countries as refugees(the setting stage for LTTE to come to power) and the more recent 2009 war crimes or today's news - SL muslims getting attacked - Indians need to know the history about the Sinhala chauvinism which exists for ages. They will not stop until they wipe out the minorities.

as a neighbouring country India has limitations, it has to protect the rights of Tamils in srilanka but can't make an enemy out of srilankan govt by meddling too much into their affairs and going all out against international forums, that will make srilanka get close to China and Pakistan and it will endanger our security. And don't forget India send a peace keeping force also but failed to accomplish the mission , our prime minister got killed, etc all this makes India in a " a cat once fell to hot water situation ". so it's a tough choice and decisions all together.

There are protocols and rules when directly dealing with other country's internal matters which may back fire on India. Are you suggesting India should intervene in Srilanka like what we did with IPKF?

At the time when IPKF was fighting Srianka reached an agreement with LTTE and so the move backfired.

There were promises made prior to Indian intervention in the SL war - promise to implement the 13th amendment by Rajapakshe - even before that written and signed document for 13th amendment implementation for Rajiv-Wardene accord. So what is that protocol and rule does it subscribe to or what rights India had then - this signing of document deciding the SL tamil issue?

as a neighbouring country India has limitations, it has to protest the rights of Tamils in srilanka but can't make an enemy out of srilankan govt by meddling too much into their affairs and going all out against international forums, that will make srilanka get close to China and Pakistan and it will endanger our security.so it's a tough choice and decisions all together.

Let me advice you - SL sided with Pakistan in 1971 when there was not much meddling from India. Know your history. With or without India's meddling, China is there to stay in SL.

That is why I said you guys will have the China bogeyman and TN need to cause such an alarm that the China bogeyman will appear small(TN only need to look into its own history since 1930s and take it as example) and change the opinions at the center as to what would be the India strategy wrt SL would be.

There were promises made prior to Indian intervention in the SL war - promise to implement the 13th amendment by Rajapakshe - even before that written and signed document for 13th amendment implementation for Rajiv-Wardene accord. So what is that protocol and rule does it subscribe to or what rights India had then - this signing of document deciding the SL tamil issue?

The initiatives that were taken by GOI are in the interests of 13th amendment , hope it will be implemented with out any problems for that to happen Srilankan Tamils do not need armed men, they need support from GOI and it will be given.

Tamil women soldiers recruited to Sri Lankan Army

A batch of 95 Tamil women soldiers of the Sri Lanka Army held their passing out parade at Security Force Headquarters in the former LTTE stronghold of Kilinochchi in the north.

Tamil women soldiers recruited to Sri Lankan Army - Indian Express

The initiatives that were taken by GOI are in the interests of 13th amendment , hope it will be implemented with out any problems for that to happen Srilankan Tamils do not need armed men, they need support from GOI and it will be given.

Tamil women soldiers recruited to Sri Lankan Army

Tamil women soldiers recruited to Sri Lankan Army - Indian Express

Not sure what your link proves. As for the support by GOI, lets agree to disagree as the discussions are not going anywhere.

Not sure what your link proves. As for the support by GOI, lets agree to disagree as the discussions are not going anywhere.

In my opinion the discussions related to the Srilankan Tamils may take time but yield good results for them.

I agree with your post - we will agree to disagree on specific issues - same is the case with various other states and people as well but we part of the same nation.

But a curious question remains for me - not directed at you but to the fellow Indian members in general -
I saw many of the members willing to go ballistic against Italy for the Italian marines - what about the deaths of TN fishermen - does it not quality SL as hostile nation?(before someone can jump and say that TN crossed the borders, they need to take into consideration that would have been within borders if Katchatheevu was illegally granted by GOI - illegal as it was not ratified by the two houses of the parliament)

Your question about the TN fishermen is correct and valid. It beats me totally that why is the GOI bending backwards to accomodate the Sinhala Lankans. Any favours must be backed by a threat of a good slap if needed. On top of it the basic cause of granting the maritime boundaries to Lanka was anyway a mistake.

But while considering the situation there with the TN fishermen, we also can see that the same is the case with Gujrat fishermen who are regularly hauled up by the Pakistanis. So the problem of growing a backbone is more pervasive then just in TN.

Let me advice you - SL sided with Pakistan in 1971 when there was not much meddling from India. Know your history. With or without India's meddling, China is there to stay in SL.

That is why I said you guys will have the China bogeyman and TN need to cause such an alarm that the China bogeyman will appear small(TN only need to look into its own history since 1930s and take it as example) and change the opinions at the center as to what would be the India strategy wrt SL would be.

I am certain that any stringent stand on srilanka will only further strength the hold of China and pak on srilanka and it certainly is the last thing we want. today's srilanka is neutral in position, who ever stands by it and helps them they are with them, and I want India to be that country.

In my opinion the discussions related to the Srilankan Tamils may take time but yield good results for them.

Not sure about it but here is what I see - Indian strategies suck big time - Ditch friends and allies for some fears and stupid principles.

Nepal - India should have provided arms for Nepal Monarchists against Maoists - India did not - now India fears Chinese influence in Nepal.

Maldives - India should have supported the Mohamed Nasheed - they did not and now the religious fanatic group will host China.

SL - SL tamilians were seeing India as their supporter but now they will not - and SL was not a friend anyways else they would not have supported Pakistanis in 1971. Would have hosted a US base in Trincomalee if not for pre-emptive strike by Rajiv by way of Operation Poomalai and subsequent IPKF deployment(and again it is not SL tamil interests but for pure Indian benefit that IPKF was sent). And SL tamilians bank on their own diaspora. And trouble is brewing in TN by way of non-political protests(forget about DMK and ADMK) by the students. Ignore it at one's peril as seen by the effects of Hindi agitation.

It is a completely misleading to say that SL sided with Pakistan in 1971. One should remember that SL was a non-align country and we treated both India and Pakistan equally. There fore it was not regarded as supporting Pakistani war effort by SL decision makers. It was regarded as helping a fellow south Asian nation enrolled in a civil war. The fight between India and Pakistan as regarded as a issue with each respecting nations.

One should also understand it was the same prime minister of SL i.e. Sirima who helped bring India and China to peace talks, hence ending hostilities.

I am certain that any stringent stand on srilanka will only further strength the hold of China and pak on srilanka and it certainly is the last thing we want. today's srilanka is neutral in position, who ever stands by it and helps them they are with them, and I want India to be that country.

Why is suddenly Indians talking large about China? This threat has always existed in one form or other - US in 1980s and now China. And see my response to Srinivas - SL is not a friendly country every since its independence.

Back
Top Bottom