What's new

India OKs $6.5B Plan To Build Stealth Destroyers

These new ships are same as Shivlika class or batter than them ?????

Read this Buddy

The new destroyers will have greater stealth and advanced sensor and weapon packages, and will be fitted with a 1,000-kilometer-range nuclear capable cruise missile currently being developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation with Israeli help, Navy sources said.

The new stealth destroyers also will be fitted with an extended-range surface-to-air missile system, which is being developed jointly between India and Israel.

Ok Ok ,we know you are a military professional,no need to show off,we can get the same data using a service called "GOOGLE"
:cool::D

Ok, you go GOOGLE then.

But the rest of us have a lot of respect for gambit, so no need to insult him.

Shivalik class is a frigate, these are Kolkata class destroyers. They are two different type of ships. The Shivaliks are smaller, and Kolkata will definitely have more firepower. But i am sure a lot of systems would have been developed to be used in both of them so they will have similarities. They are the future of India's surface fleet, alongside our aircraft carriers :sniper:

why not Navy goes for more heavier like missile cruiser with the weight of around 12000t - 16000t

^^Why do you think the navy should go for heavier cruisers? What is the tactical, operational advantages that you expect from this?

Come on, dude! You are a senior poster here, one line questions are not your style!

As stated above these destroyers can only be built by Mazagon Docks as it is the only dock capable of producing 6,800 tone destroyer.the only other docks which can produce destroyers of such magnitude are Cochin Shipyard Limited but the are busy building the IAC I ,II

I think you must read this:

"Elsewhere in L&T’s 1,225-acre facility at Katupalli, hundreds of engineers and workers labour round the clock, three shifts a day, building a giant ship-lift capable of lifting a 14,000 tonne ship — the Indian Navy’s largest destroyers are just 6,800 tonnes — clear out of the water and on to one of several drydocks where vessels can be serviced at leisure. Rows of massive workshops, some 250 metres long, have almost been completed. By June 2011, says L&T — and the engineering giant does not miss many deadlines — Katupalli will be commissioned as India’s biggest defence shipyard." :cheers:

Unexplained decision to sideline L&T

The babus have let down India as always they should give it to L&T for quality and in time production. It would have improve our shipbuilding capabilities and its on east coast.

Plan sounds good but deadline NOT! why can't they be realistic I mean 2012 it's just around the corner??

- The new 4 stealth destroyers will be built under Project 15-B.

- After Mazagon Docks completes its project of 3 stealth destroyers under Project 15-A which are under last phase of production.

- That means after 2012-2014 Mazagon Docks will be free to built 4 stealth destroyers under Project 15-B.

India OKs $6.5B Plan To Build Stealth Destroyers​
By Vivek Raghuvanshi
Published: 2 Sep 2010 12:40

The four destroyers will be built at the Indian Navy's Mumbai-based Mazagon Docks after construction is completed for three earlier stealth warships under Project 15-A. These are expected to be completed by 2012-2014.

India OKs $6.5B Plan To Build Stealth Destroyers - Defense News

May be because mazgaon docks has worked on the earlier 15A project so their expertise will comein handy

@ Gambit, I am a bit confused about the reason for which these two paras were added to your post.

What are you trying to convey in relation to this thread? India does have good experience in ship designing and has taken the incremental approach towards designing "stealth" ships. Starting from shivalik class, the ships will be more and more LO as capabilities mature.

We do have the capabilities to assess how stealthy our ships actually are! And few friends like Russia and Israel will also help us.
Designing a radar low observable ship require a far deeper understanding of radar behavior than for previous ship generations. What I presented was to preempt any speculations -- on how to design such a ship -- that may violate known physical laws or logic, as such speculations often arises from someone's nationalistic zeal.

Another major problem with ships, as far as radar goes, are radar signatures. Place a destroyer alongside an aircraft carrier and see for yourself. The carrier's radar signature will return a very very sharp spike right in the middle of a relatively flat voltage line. You should have no problems guessing what could create that sharp spike. A series of spikes that abruptly drop to a lower line. Could that be a ship with a helo pad? And if you know, or at least is highly suspcious, that there is a ship out there with a helo pad, you can alert your subs of potential ASW engagements. Get it? Because ships do not maneuver, fancy phrasing is 'spatial translation', as rapid and as often as aircrafts do, ships provide radars with far more stable profles and, equally important, PREDICTABLE radar profile changes when a ship does maneuver.

Since the F-117 came out, militaries have been spending a lot of monies on improving their radar detection and data analysis capabilities. At least the wise ones do, anyway. Am not going to speculate on India's shipyards' capabilities. But I will say that unless you know what data you have, you will not be able to deny your adversary what he looks for. The advantageous position is to deny him things that he does not even know he is supposed to be looking for. On the other hand, if your adversary has superior radar detection capabilities than you, then he will find things about you that you do not know are relevant, like how corner reflectors are everywhere on a ship. The key phrase here is 'the technology treadmill'. Anyone who falls off -- dies -- and in spectacular fashion at that.

i dont know why some of the guys feel ofended here because of Mazagon dock instead of L@T,agrred L@T is a good company but Mazagon is no pushover,their record says for themselves

Delhi class,Shivalik class,Kolkata class the record speak for themselves,i dont think our Babus have done anything wrong

Gambit,Thanks for explaining the purpose of those two paras. Hope this increases the SNR here!

Stealth does seem to be the most speculation prone subject on any defence forum and hollywood movies must take a lion's share of blame,methinks! (a single eurocopter Tiger penetrating deep into the russian air space in 'golden eyes' ):woot:

About the Indian capabilities to design and produce a LO destroyer;I think they are quite competent. I do not know much (an aircraft guy), However, I'll just put up all I know about indian stealth shipbuilding programme in the few next posts . Let me know what you think about it.

Meanwhile, here is a statement by Rear Admiral K N Vaidyanathan in march 2007, who is now director general of naval design . This addresses some of the questions you raised.

There has been an increasing thrust to reduce signatures of naval platforms. This has given rise to very innovative hull forms and use of composite hull materials. Over the last decade the naval design organisation has consolidated considerable knowhow and expertise in the use of signature prediction tools. What is now required is developing correlations between prediction tools and actual measurements. Besides the above there will be continued thrust in developing stealth materials such as CFRP and stealth applications for onboard use. We also need to enhance the domain knowledge in the field in order to effectively pursue the complementary technologies of soft kill measures. Future platforms will also have integration of the soft kill and hard kill measures with onboard assessment capabilities for real time ship signatures.

These guys seem to know what they are doing!

Last edited:
what a hell of ship!!!! its really cool. i think they should go for the weapons like type 45. p-15b looks costly.

Back
Top Bottom