What's new

India finalizing US $ 10 billion mega stealth frigates’ project

Armament:Guns:1× 3.0 inch Otobreda, naval gun
Anti-ship missiles:8× VLS launched Klub, anti-ship cruise missiles
or 8× VLS launched BrahMos, anti-ship cruise missiles
Anti-submarine warfare:2× 2 DTA-53-956 torpedo launchers, 2× RBU-6000 (RPK-8)rocket launchers
Anti-air missiles:Shtil-1 missile system, with 24 short to medium range (30km) missiles
Close In Weapon Systems (CIWS):Barak SAM-launcher CIWS, 2× AK-630CIWS
Aircraft carried: 2x HAL Dhruv or Sea King Mk.42B helicopters.
Armament: 1 x HQ-16 32-cell VLS SAM launcher or anti submarine rocket launcher
2 x 4 C-803 anti-ship / land attack cruise missiles
1 x 76 mm dual purpose gun
2 x Type 730 7-barrel 30 mm CIWS guns
2 x 3 324mm YU-7 ASW torpedoes
2 x 6 Type 87 240mm anti-submarine rocket launcher (36 rockets carried)
2 x Type 726-4 18-tube decoy rocket launchers

Now compare individual weapon of similar characteristics, no China India, No Indian Navy PLAN comparison.

should India work on 3 different frigate projects given the need for more & more ships for the navy???

like more Talwar class order should be given to Russians + P-17A's + UK type 26 effort

this will really give boost to Indian shipbuilding since both the Russians & UK are far ahead of us in it, they can really offer us there expertise in it.

so we can make 3 talwars + 7 P-17A's + 3or 4 type 26 i.e around 13 or 14 frigates, all due to commission in same time period, increasing the firepower of IN manifold
India will not purchase any ship of type 26, it's an option but it will incorporate addition learned from GCS in its own ships while constructing. They have best radars. So it is obvious to take opportunity to learn what is happening around the for corner of world. & 1 more thing India need not to spend billion dollars there. Few millions are more than sufficient.

P-15B will almost certainly be closer to 8000 tonnes as at present P-15As are ~7000 (not fully loaded) so the modifications and additions to P-15B will almost certainly see it increase in tonnage.
No it will not. P17 weight is 5000 tonnes. So P17 weight is 5400 tons. Same way at most it will reach 7500 tons.

India will not purchase any ship of type 26, it's an option but it will incorporate addition learned from GCS in its own ships while constructing. They have best radars. So it is obvious to take opportunity to learn what is happening around the for corner of world. & 1 more thing India need not to spend billion dollars there. Few millions are more than sufficient.

No it will not. P17 weight is 5000 tonnes. So P17 weight is 5400 tons. Same way at most it will reach 7500 tons.

India is looking for a multirole ship like type 26.around 2020 our shipyards will still be full.
we are not interested in russian ASW ships (talwar class) any more.
we can configure these ships with our weapons.

I said closer to 8000 tonnes than 7000 tonnes. I was refuting the fact the P-17/A will weigh MORE than the P-15A/B.

should India work on 3 different frigate projects given the need for more & more ships for the navy???

like more Talwar class order should be given to Russians + P-17A's + UK type 26 effort

this will really give boost to Indian shipbuilding since both the Russians & UK are far ahead of us in it, they can really offer us there expertise in it.

so we can make 3 talwars + 7 P-17A's + 3or 4 type 26 i.e around 13 or 14 frigates, all due to commission in same time period, increasing the firepower of IN manifold

Source: http://www.defence.pk/forums/indian...stealth-frigates-project-5.html#ixzz20ES2RWNc

Now, like I said before the RN needs are different to the IN and the RN needs a cost effective all-rounder the IN can afford to have ships that specilise in certain roles. The Type-26 is actually very weak in many areas where the P-17/A is far superior.

I support this project becoz indian navy knows what they are doing.
They have always utilized the resources better than army and airforce
only doubt is in the shipyards capability to deliver it on time without delays and cost overruns.

when is the first ship of this class be out.
I heard it will be around 2015 but i thik their will be a delay of atleast 2 years considering the complexity of the work to be done.
so by 2017 around we will get to see this beast in indian ocean region.

chinese and australians have multiple transmitter and receiver OTH radars which can detect all stealth objects in the sea over 1500kms.
10billion is too much, should rather use for other things.

Same goes for an Airborne Radar from a Heli.

In fact, during sea trials, Indian battleships that tried trailing Shivalik could not detect it on their radar within a radius of 100 km.

Weapon and Technology: INS 'Shivalik' -- the S-class Stealth Frigate

A 6200 Tonne Warship could not be Detected from 100 Km.

Read the article again:

The seven new frigates will be ``longer, broader, faster and stealthier'' than the three 6,100-tonne Shivalik-class frigates that have a range of 5,000 nautical miles at a cruising speed of 18 knots.

I think we may touch near the Western Designs which has started producing with Beam of 20m.

It will be Greater than 6200 Tons. If we add 48-64 Barak8 and the Brahmos which is Heavier, then it can easily Breach 7000 Tonnes.

It will be more Stealthier means A 7000 Tonne Ship would not be Detectible even within 100 Km. The Aim of P17/P17A is to hit the Target and Run away that is why we have the CODOG Propulsion.

So P17A can come within 80 Km of a Target without being Detected and Fire Brahmos(Anti-ship)/Nirbhay(Land-Attack)/Barak 8(Aerial Targets). Even In a War theater where Enemy Subs are Lurking around, It has significant ASW Capability with 2 ASW Helos, RBU-6000 Rockets with 5Km Range and DRDO Torpedos.

It can go hit the Enemy target without Being Detected, Safeguard itself against Aerial/UW/Surface Threats on its own i.e does not need any Complement and cruise at 30 Knots(60 Km/Hr) and run away. In simple Words, A One-Man Ship!

Bhaiyon,

Ye sabji mandi nahin hai. 1kg batata 100 rs so 200rs i want 2 kg batata. The level of just one aspect, the air defense will increase the survivability of the ship and the CBG manifold by its mere presence. Combine that with the increased firepower to engage hostile surface targets silently before they get close to the CBG means increased ability to degrade hostile forces.

This project will also help Indian shipyards build modular structures for the first time in history. This is a huge leap in building capabilities and brings down not just the cost but also provides increased ability to customise and speed up building warships in the future.

The logic that there are air-borne radars which can detect them hence we should not go in for these ships defies logic. There are extremely good SAMs available. So we do not go in for deep strike stealth fighters?? What logic is this?

7 of these may result in 2 each for each CBG. So lets say 4 operational. 1 in the dock and 2 available for individual raids is massive firepower combined with the Shivaliks and Kolkotas. True masters of the IOR!

Cheers!

HOPE THE UNITED STATES AND WHITES WHO LOVE TO HARASS SOMEONE NOT REPEAT. 'JALASWA' EXPERIENCE TELL THEY SALE IT WITHOUT WEAPONS AND SOME ACCIDENT WILL ALSO OCCURS WITH THAT, BETTER TO REJECT THE DEAL.

i really not feeling happy by this news ARE WE WASTING TOO MUCH MONEY?

Well , although i'm too lazy to calculate what we have spend this year on military , anything between 2-3% of the GDP is fair. If it's more than that , then it's a cause for worry.

India is looking for a multirole ship like type 26.around 2020 our shipyards will still be full.
we are not interested in russian ASW ships (talwar class) any more.
we can configure these ships with our weapons.
We are interested in learning the ultra advanced techniques from UK. They excel in radar, stealth,weapon integration etc. India will build all ships within the boundary of India.

Same goes for an Airborne Radar from a Heli.

Weapon and Technology: INS 'Shivalik' -- the S-class Stealth Frigate

A 6200 Tonne Warship could not be Detected from 100 Km.

Read the article again:

I think we may touch near the Western Designs which has started producing with Beam of 20m.

It will be Greater than 6200 Tons. If we add 48-64 Barak8 and the Brahmos which is Heavier, then it can easily Breach 7000 Tonnes.

It will be more Stealthier means A 7000 Tonne Ship would not be Detectible even within 100 Km. The Aim of P17/P17A is to hit the Target and Run away that is why we have the CODOG Propulsion.

So P17A can come within 80 Km of a Target without being Detected and Fire Brahmos(Anti-ship)/Nirbhay(Land-Attack)/Barak 8(Aerial Targets). Even In a War theater where Enemy Subs are Lurking around, It has significant ASW Capability with 2 ASW Helos, RBU-6000 Rockets with 5Km Range and DRDO Torpedos.

It can go hit the Enemy target without Being Detected, Safeguard itself against Aerial/UW/Surface Threats on its own i.e does not need any Complement and cruise at 30 Knots(60 Km/Hr) and run away. In simple Words, A One-Man Ship!
1st- Question is which ship was trailing it & with what kind of radar?
2nd-It's weight is scheduled at 5400 tones. So don't speculate when you can get the data from official site.
3rd-Again question is what kind of ship & radar was used in trailing the ship.
4th-Nirbhay is a land attack cruise missile. While ship is a frigate. 1st try to understand what frigate does. Don't try to add fancy stuff in a pot which is not designed for it. Bramhos with dual mode missiles can engage land as well as ships which is more than enough.
Shivalik class is a fantastic frigate ship in this category. And P-17A is way ahead of this if you watch my video. Destroyers & cruisers are the naval ships which attack land based targets. Frigate primary mission is to keep the formation safe from aerial, submarine & ship threats.

Buddy all ships r detectable at some point so when we say stleath it doesn't mean the ship is undectable but rather it just means that the ship will have a very small radar signature like a 7000 ship won't look nothing more than a shipping boat
So that the ship could have a greater chance of attack as well as survival otherwise a normal frigate will be destroyed at 1500 kms itself:flame:

I agree but don't you think 10 billion is a huge amount for complete ToT and 4 ships.

The main cost escalation comes from building the infrastructure for modular shipbuilding first time in india,this means the ships will be produced very quickly.Since this technology is very advanced and totally new and to be introduced into indian shipyards with this class cost is high.
Also i heard 4 ships of this class may be equipped with the AEGIS offered to india for CBG protection.

hopefully you guys can afford it with the falling value of the INR

Back
Top Bottom