What's new

India developing first civilian aircraft

^^^ Only challenge is that it has to be man rated. Fighter planes have ejection seats but civilian planes ... if anything goes wrong, kaput !!
But seriously, this project can be accomplished especially when we are not building the Engines. The aerodynamics and flight regime are less complicated than Fighter aircraft.

I have been critical of GTRE in the past, but GTRE should start somewhere and work on black projects and producing some output. Atleast get the material science sorted if not the entire engine. I am happy we are not reinventing the wheel and buying the engines but what a colossal waste of tax payer's money if GTRE does not join the party.

:coffee:

Kaveri engine can also be used as powerplant in RTA right???
or a separate bigger engine has to be designed??

I've been a designer and I can't see a reason why it is not possible to make such a passenger aircraft in 6-7 years eswpecially when:

1. You're not going to make the engine.
2. You already have experience in making cutting edge fighter jets.
3. You don't have to reinvent the wheel.

I can't see how difficult designing such an aircraft could possibly be. The only problem could come while looking for vendors for manufacturing the aircraft but even then I feel that if you have the market, the vendors will come up on their own.

As India have reached in the world's top 10 manufacturing nations its a proof that we have got all the setup, raw materials, supplies, skilled labors, engineers etc. And Indian companies can supply required raw material made in India. For technical expertise there is whole world line up in front of India to offer its services we just need to hire them.

I've been a designer and I can't see a reason why it is not possible to make such a passenger aircraft in 6-7 years eswpecially when:

1. You're not going to make the engine.
2. You already have experience in making cutting edge fighter jets.
3. You don't have to reinvent the wheel.

I can't see how difficult designing such an aircraft could possibly be. The only problem could come while looking for vendors for manufacturing the aircraft but even then I feel that if you have the market, the vendors will come up on their own.

its more complicated than that u listed``first of all, a passanger plane consists of literally 'millions' of parts and components`and even india is be able to build fighter jets, however there are different concepts and attribute priorities sharing between civilian ones and those military ones```the formar one focusing more on duability, reliability and costs, so that involves different lines of matierial sciences and designing concept from the military craft, like the wing nd fuselage ratio, shape and thinkness etc```

you need thousands of hours of simulation and ground tests to testify any possible layouts and designs, in order to check any aerodynamic errors or gliches before to build a prototype, which will carry out real flight tests.

if that as easy as you claimed then why at the moment only U.S and european unions are the only two can build big comercial civilian planes, even russia can not claim that positon as their civilian planes have seriouse safety and reliability issues but they do hv good fighter jets``so that demonstrates the fact that technologies involve with civilian plan are quit different from military ones``

yes, in some case vendors will comp up with something to fill the market needs, but again in aero industry you are talking about high tech and investment and technology intentive vendors, at the moment we only see these kind of vandors from IT sectors in India but hardly from other sectors``

Do you know china successfully tested 70-90 seats RTA in 80s (called Y-10, u can look up) but that project was cancelled because of the reason you just listed--vendor factor

I have been critical of GTRE in the past, but GTRE should start somewhere and work on black projects and producing some output. Atleast get the material science sorted if not the entire engine. I am happy we are not reinventing the wheel and buying the engines but what a colossal waste of tax payer's money if GTRE does not join the party.

:coffee:

True. But the problem is money. Even if GTRE, or for that matter any Design agency has confidence in itself, they have to convince the Babu's who unfortunately do not understand the strategic significance of developing in house human resources if not the end product.

True. But the problem is money. Even if GTRE, or for that matter any Design agency has confidence in itself, they have to convince the Babu's who unfortunately do not understand the strategic significance of developing in house human resources if not the end product.

tell me what difference will it make if of the 100s of crores on kaveri a few is moved to fundamental research in material science. Whr thr is a will there is a way.

Kaveri engine can also be used as powerplant in RTA right???
or a separate bigger engine has to be designed??

A separate engine has to be designed but that should not be a problem if you are capable of building Fighter aircraft engines. Fighter aircraft engines are much more difficult because they are subjected to severe stresses and varying flight regimes. I guess, fuel efficiency becomes secondary for fighter aircraft engines where as fuel efficiency is much more important for civilian aircraft engines.

tell me what difference will it make if of the 100s of crores on kaveri a few is moved to fundamental research in material science. Whr thr is a will there is a way.

Well, if I remember correctly GTRE is not involved in material science research. I guess Defence Material Research Lab (Hyd) and Midhani (Hyd) are involved for material research and they are developing materials for GTRE.
So, technically, they are investing not just 100 crores but a lot more in material research and what DMRL develops is the latest tech India has in materials research.

We have a very small talentt pool in aeronautical field... not even 2% of engg colleges in india offer aero course

We have a very small talentt pool in aeronautical field... not even 2% of engg colleges in india offer aero course

You don't need aero course to design aircraft.

Mechanical Engineers, Computer Engineers, Electrical and Electronics together can shape the product. Just because the subjects are not packaged in a course with a specific appeal towards designing aircraft does not mean anything. Also please check how many from Aero dept from IIT Bombay join HAL, ADA or NAL. ~zero.

LOl. Another party with tax payers money. The sheer amount of corruption and pandering is unbelievable. It's not the first time these people are designing a civilian plane", let alone plane. Last time they tried a smaller plane (can't remember the name). Have you see it flying anywhere? This is corruption, in your face. Anything that DRDO touches becomes instantly toxic. If they seriously want a plane, give it to private sector completely.

Ye to bannana hi padega yaar, ab sab kuch to banna liya bas ye Passanger plane reh gaya tha...
Translated- We will have to make it, now that we have made every thing else, just this passenger plane was left..This will also be made, and quite soon.

url

url

Oh koi hurdles nahin hain yaar. There are blueprints available on the internet damn-it.

Think from a layman's point of view.

What is an aircraft other than a long hollow cylinder with two pointed ends having two swept-back hollow cantilever beams, a tail and a gyroscope?

What else is left?

Ah! Circuitry...Seriously how difficult could that possible be?

This is not rocket science!

Just to add to it, we already excel in rocket science. So no point why this cant be done.

Best luck :)

Back
Top Bottom