What's new

India bans Pakistani TV channels in Held Kashmir

So if they did not report on HR abuses and did not mention the mass graves in kashmir then its okay for the pakistani channels to air in kashmir....?

HMM how would you know that , did you carry third party verification did UN perform investigation what makes you think that media on your side of the border is saint and will not be biased or will not use populist propaganda

HMM how would you know that , did you carry third party verification did UN perform investigation what makes you think that media on your side of the border is saint and will not be biased or will not use populist propaganda

So your willing to have the UN investigate are you..:cheesy:

How come you dont accept anyother UN resolutions over kashmir and yet when it comes to this, you want a third source in the name of UN to verify and maybe put a stamp on it for you guys to make it acceptable.HYPOCRISY

How come you dont accept anyother UN resolutions over kashmir and yet when it comes to this, you want a third source in the name of UN to verify and maybe put a stamp on it for you guys to make it acceptable.HYPOCRISY

Why not if any injustice is meted out we as Indians would sure like to look into the matter as a law and order issue and as responsibel government. UNDP and UNICEF too say a lot here to GOI yet GOI accepts what it deems fit , so why not in this case .

Why not if any injustice is meted out we as Indians would sure like to look into the matter as a law and order issue and as responsibel government. UNDP and UNICEF too say a lot here to GOI yet GOI accepts what it deems fit , so why not in this case .

:cheers::smitten:

I thought I had explained to you clearly LTTE is a banned organisation and therefor its airwaves are blocked here but are people in China terrorists that they cannot own their media and air their views? You have a skewed view when you raised the issue both VOT, GEO,PTV are foreign channels and are creating a security problem and hence forth banned. Here we have papers that critisize the government and I can even claim that my government is incometent and I wouldnt be thrown into prison.

I love my country more than anything else so will you. LTTE killed the PM of my country and it is banned here and I shall obey the law and constitution.

There is a ton of difference with regard to China. In China government thinks that they are dumb that they dont allow them to speak freely however in India I can own private media I can protest against my government, fortunately my government thinks that I am not so dumb ...

cheers

Well, I can tell you one thing this former Ahmadi, better known to people as Nabeel Qureshi, is ruining bonds Muslim Pakistani relations with Americans within the United States by claiming that Islam is a violent religion. He even claims he was once a Muslim! Even small things like this are bond to have serious, long-lasting repercussions. You all can see his video here:

Last edited by a moderator:
The Pakistani channels were banned because they were inciting people against Indian Govt in Kashmir. Incase you did not notice, the ban is not in the rest of the country. Only Kashmir.

And Pakistani channels should be banned if they try and incite the people in Kashmir. If they were airing their views in a neutral and professional manner, they would not have been banned. Simple as that. Democracy does not mean you can incite separatism in the Nation.

I disagree - merely on principle. I can incite anything I want - I should be allowed to. What you are suggesting is akin to what the British govt. tried to do to the likes of Bhagat Singh and Gandhi. Besides, banning never works - it actually has a counter-effect. Do you think Salman Rushdie would have sold as many copies of Satanic Verses as he did if not for the bans?

Whatever hatred Pakistani channels propagate on their TV channels - Zaid Hamid can cry himself hoarse for all I care - we should and cannot have different sets of rules for people living in Kashmir and people living in the rest of India. That is what would undermine democracy. Free flow of information is essential in any democracy. Our claim of being the world's largest democracy comes to naught when we ban channels, when we ban books maligning Shivaji, when we ban anything at all. I think we threw out the Brits because we were sick of being told what to do and what not to.

Merely electing our leaders is not democracy. Also holding them accountable for their retarded actions is. I would never want any part of India to ever secede including Kashmir. But if someone wants to air such a view about Kashmir or Tamil Nadu or Assam or Maharashtra - it would be very unIndian of me to deny him that right. It is your constitutional right to freedom of speech and expression and that is not up for negotiation or curtailment.

Last edited:
Merely electing our leaders is not democracy. Also holding them accountable for their retarded actions is. I would never want any part of India to ever secede including Kashmir. But if someone wants to air such a view about Kashmir or Tamil Nadu or Assam or Maharashtra - it would be very unIndian of me to deny him that right. It is your constitutional right to freedom of speech and expression and that is not up for negotiation or curtailment.

Constitutional rights are secondary to national interests..If the national interest is genuinely threatened by those constituitional rights , i would willingly forego them.

BTW dont the Indian Kashmiri s have tens of news channels to select from in all languages why bother abt few channels from across the border..?

The Pakistani channels were banned because they were inciting people against Indian Govt in Kashmir. Incase you did not notice, the ban is not in the rest of the country. Only Kashmir.

And Pakistani channels should be banned if they try and incite the people in Kashmir. If they were airing their views in a neutral and professional manner, they would not have been banned. Simple as that. Democracy does not mean you can incite separatism in the Nation.

Constitutional rights are secondary to national interests..If the national interest is genuinely threatened by those constituitional rights , i would willingly forego them.

BTW dont the Indian Kashmiri s have tens of news channels to select from in all languages why bother abt few channels from across the border..?

Nope. National interests are secondary to constitutional rights. If you forgo one right, you will eventually be forced to hand over others. Upholding constitutional rights is vital to national interests. Denying them is playing with fire. And who is going to determine what is national interest? Someone like a Sanjay Gandhi forcibly sterilizing people? Or Indira suspending democracy and acting like a potentate? I wasn't even born then - but the day you suspend constitutional rights in the name of "national interests" - it means you have something to hide and/or be embarrassed about.

If they have tens of news channels, there is no harm in providing them a few more. I would expect the Kashmiri viewer to watch the news and make an opinion on an issue of his/her accord. And who is govt. of India and Kashmir to decide what is newsworthy and what is not? Their job is to govern, not to rule.

Nope. National interests are secondary to constitutional rights. If you forgo one right, you will eventually be forced to hand over others. Upholding constitutional rights is vital to national interests. Denying them is playing with fire. And who is going to determine what is national interest? Someone like a Sanjay Gandhi forcibly sterilizing people? Or Indira suspending democracy and acting like a potentate? I wasn't even born then - but the day you suspend constitutional rights in the name of "national interests" - it means you have something to hide and/or be embarrassed about.

My quote again:

Stress on word genuine.Moreover that is wat that is prevalent all over the world. So need to be extra-saint here.

If they have tens of news channels, there is no harm in providing them a few more. I would expect the Kashmiri viewer to watch the news and make an opinion on an issue of his/her accord. And who is govt. of India and Kashmir to decide what is newsworthy and what is not? Their job is to govern, not to rule.

plainly distorting arent u..?

Are all individuals who watch the news capable of rationally analysing the news that is fed to them and taking their decision accordingly..?

A BIG NO

So ur argument of one's own decision doesnt hold ground here.

Majority of the viewers are unemployed ,easily impressionable youth and it is a fact that they do get easily swayed by the propaganda diet that is fed to them.

And yes it is the Indian govt's job to "guide" the viewers especially in a sensitive issue like secession and Kashmir.

My quote again:

Stress on word genuine.Moreover that is wat that is prevalent all over the world. So need to be extra-saint here.

plainly distorting arent u..?

Are all individuals who watch the news capable of rationally analysing the news that is fed to them and taking their decision accordingly..?

A BIG NO

So ur argument of one's own decision doesnt hold ground here.

Majority of the viewers are unemployed ,easily impressionable youth and it is a fact that they do get easily swayed by the propaganda diet that is fed to them.

And yes it is the Indian govt's job to "guide" the viewers especially in a sensitive issue like secession and Kashmir.

Err - I like to be saintly - I was even hoping the pope would canonize me as the first Hindu saint in Catholicism - St. Jackdaws - the patron saint of saintliness.

Genuine my @ss. Which news or media outlet in what part of America has been banned? Or in Western Europe? So it is not prevalent around the world unless your world is relegated to China and Iran. And if the govt. thinks some news channels are enough to threaten national security than the entire cabinet should resign en masse as they are utterly incapable of doing their job.

All individuals in the rest of India are not capable of taking rational decisions either. Or in USA. Or in UK. Or in France. Or in Germany. Or in Japan. Or in Australia. So your point is that because some people are incapable of rational decision making, the entire decision making process should be handled by our very efficient government? :yahoo:

Are you a card carrying member of the CPI(M)? Or do you an affinity toward the Chinese model of governance? More saintly advice for you - learn to differentiate between your government and your nation - questioning the decisions of your government will not make you any less patriotic. Now I must go stand at the pulpit and perform a few miracles for my disciples - today I intend to dance on water. If Jesus can walk, I can do one better and waltz on water. ;)

Genuine my @ss. Which news or media outlet in what part of America has been banned? Or in Western Europe? So it is not prevalent around the world unless your world is relegated to China and Iran. And if the govt. thinks some news channels are enough to threaten national security than the entire cabinet should resign en masse as they are utterly incapable of doing their job.

Try propagating that Texas needs to go to Mexico,or Afghanistan belongs to Taliban in a TV channel in America and u will not know wat hit u.

All individuals in the rest of India are not capable of taking rational decisions either. Or in USA. Or in UK. Or in France. Or in Germany. Or in Japan. Or in Australia. So your point is that because some people are incapable of rational decision making, the entire decision making process should be handled by our very efficient government? :yahoo:

Not the entire decision making process should be taken by the Govt....but one thing that can ge done by the Govt is to give the viewers channels with less hate,less propaganda.

Are you a card carrying member of the CPI(M)? Or do you an affinity toward the Chinese model of governance? More saintly advice for you - learn to differentiate between your government and your nation - questioning the decisions of your government will not make you any less patriotic. Now I must go stand at the pulpit and perform a few miracles for my disciples - today I intend to dance on water. If Jesus can walk, I can do one better and waltz on water. ;)

CPI(M)..guess wat im the farthest thing from a Communist.

And have heard abt the Patriot Act tht was enacted by the country that u gave as an ideal one in the earlier part of ur post.

This doesnt even come closer to that.

p.s.: Sorry for the late reply..was on a break...:lol:

Back
Top Bottom