What's new

India, Bangla finalise transfer of prisoners pact

Kavin

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
NEW DELHI, Nov 30 – India and Bangladesh today managed to finalise an agreement on transfer of prisoners and the agreement is likely to be signed during Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina’s ensuing visit to India. The Treaty, finalised as per the Transfer of Prisoners Act, may lead to handing over of ULFA leader Anup Chetia.

The 10th Home Secretary level talks between India and Bangladesh got under way here today. Union Home Secretary GK Pillai heads the Indian delegation, while his Bangladesh counterpart Sabhan Sikder is leading the visiting delegation.

Official sources said the two sides would deliberate on security related issues such as action against militants and insurgent groups and its leaders, early activation of designated nodal points for sharing of information and modalities for follow up action.

Also, high on the agenda is border management related issues including illegal migration fencing along the border, working out Joint Border Management Plan, measures to check illegal cross border movement including human trafficking, sources said.

Action on Red Corner Notices subjects through enhanced interaction between the Interpol Designated Points, smuggling of arms, ammunitions and fake currency notes, control of illicit drug trafficking are also on the agenda for the three-day talk. A joint statement is scheduled to be signed on December 2 at the end of the dialogue.

Officials in New Delhi though content with the ongoing drive launched by Bangladesh law enforcement agencies against ULFA that led to the arrest of two top leaders Sashadhar Choudhury and Chitraban Hazarika, is likely to push for more action.

India once again is likely to seek ULFA leader Anup Chetia’s custody.

Handing over of Chetia would mark a major confidence-building measure between India and Bangladesh and pave the way for more substantive achievements in bilateral ties in other sectors as well, sources said.

The Home Secretaries are likely to give finishing touches to a proposed mutual legal assistance treaty for exchange of Indian and Bangladeshi nationals convicted by courts in the two countries, said the sources. The treaty is likely to be signed during Hasina’s visit toIndia.

Illegal migration is another major issue that has been nagging the bilateral relations.

Among other issues to figure in the meeting are smuggling of narcotics, fake currencies and a strategy to combat these problems.

Source

This is good news. But the question is man who are arrested in BD like Anup Chetia they are actually Indian rebel but the Bangladeshi who are in Indian custody, they are pure gang star. This isn't same thing.

Regard

Anup chetia will not be handed over. Whatever assamese wants to belive its their business. Delhi does not want him either I think.

This is good news. But the question is man who are arrested in BD like Anup Chetia they are actually Indian rebel but the Bangladeshi who are in Indian custody, they are pure gang star. This isn't same thing.

So??? Are you saying that treaty should be like an eye for an eye?? In other words a gangster for gangster or a rebel for a rebel??? People in our Jails are menace to your society and people in your are mance to ours...Why can't we keep it simple???

Here is an expert...Don't you think this is beneficial for both countries???

Handing over of Chetia would mark a major confidence-building measure between India and Bangladesh and pave the way for more substantive achievements in bilateral ties in other sectors as well, sources said.

Good news, hopefully this is just the beginning. May the bond between our countries grow ever stronger.

So??? Are you saying that treaty should be like an eye for an eye?? In other words a gangster for gangster or a rebel for a rebel??? People in our Jails are menace to your society and people in your are mance to ours...Why can't we keep it simple???
Here is an expert...Don't you think this is beneficial for both countries???
Political people are always treated differently from the gangstars. I think, Anup Chetia issue has already been finalized when our FM visited Delhi. Anup Chetia will not be handed over to India.

The pact will benefit both countries further if they include illegal migrants. So illegal Indians in BD can also be kicked out.
Countries do not require an additional treaty to kick out illegals. Just catch and kick - that's all.

ULFA's Rajkhowa arrested in Bangladesh, say sources

Arabinda Rajkhowa, chairman of the outlawed United Liberation Front of Asom (ULFA), and its publicity secretary Apurba Baruah have been arrested in Bangladesh, informed sources said on Wednesday.

Both are expected to be in India's custody soon, the sources told IANS.

The two leaders are believed to have been arrested by the Special Branch of the Bangladesh Police from downtown Dhaka.

Rajkhowa, 56, was in Bangladesh for close to two decades, operating out of bases in that country to order hit-and-run strikes in Assam.

He founded the ULFA in 1979 along with five other leaders, including the outfit's commander-in-chief Paresh Baruah, who is believed to have escaped Bangladesh and is reportedly hiding in China.

Last month, Bangladesh reportedly handed over two ULFA leaders, self-styled foreign secretary Sasha Choudhury and finance secretary Chitrabon Hazarika, to Indian authorities.

Indian officials say they were arrested on the India-Bangladesh border in Tripura while trying to sneak into India.

Nope after cathing they need to be accepted by the home country.

sure if they were the citizen of that respective country. BD cant kick out any BD citizen to India, neither poor Indian can be accepted here which will encourage minority repression in the name of illegals. :blah::blah:

Political people are always treated differently from the gangstars. I think, Anup Chetia issue has already been finalized when our FM visited Delhi. Anup Chetia will not be handed over to India.

Anup Chetia is involved in illegal activities as per Indian POV...Now when you are in a treaty with India i am not sure on what basis BD will refuse his transfer... I am not very informed about Anup Chetia and Bangladesh support for him(i don't think there is any)...Can you please enlighten why is BD reluctant to transfer him or will not transfer him even after this treaty is signed???

Anup Chetia is involved in illegal activities as per Indian POV...Now when you are in a treaty with India i am not sure on what basis BD will refuse his transfer... I am not very informed about Anup Chetia and Bangladesh support for him(i don't think there is any)...Can you please enlighten why is BD reluctant to transfer him or will not transfer him even after this treaty is signed???

What's the position of Anup Chetia in Assame And in the mind of Assames people? And another question is he terrorist or fighter for right?

What's the position of Anup Chetia in Assame And in the mind of Assames people? And another question is he terrorist or fighter for right?

Please read my post...I requested for information and you are asking me questions....

Here is what i read about him...

Anup Chetia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As far as ULFA goes...Indian POV is that its a terrorist organization...

United Liberation Front of Asom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now my knowledge is limited to wikipedia..So in case you have something useful please share..

Back
Top Bottom