What's new

India asks Korea for a shipyard JV to build naval ships worth tens of bill

Korean

BANNED
Reaction score
ÇÁ¸®¹Ì¾ö °æÁ¦Ã¤³Î - SBS CNBC

Indian defense officials are negotiating with Korean government for the establishment of a joint venture shipyard in India responsible for the construction of Indian warships worth several tens of billions of dollars. The expected Korean partner in this JV shipyard project is Daewoo Shipyard.

I guess Indian government is fed up with Russian submarines and warships and is looking for a more permanent solution to the Indian Navy's ship shortage problem.

ÇÁ¸®¹Ì¾ö °æÁ¦Ã¤³Î - SBS CNBC

Indian defense officials are negotiating with Korean government for the establishment of a joint venture shipyard in India responsible for the construction of Indian warships worth several tens of billions of dollars. The expected Korean partner in this JV shipyard project is Daewoo Shipyard.

I guess Indian government is fed up with Russian submarines and warships and is looking for a more permanent solution to the Indian Navy's ship shortage problem.

having more options are always good.

having more options are always good.

More like this will become the preferred way of acquiring warships for India from now on.

Had Indian defense ministry come to Korea for a carrier, then they could have had a brand new carrier for the same money spent on Vikramaditya sooner.

At least the Indian Navy will have "Better than what Chinese have" warships in 5 years.

ACC is different game altogether. We didn't know it will extend to this cost and delay, otherwise why would we buy it at first place.

ACC is different game altogether. We didn't know it will extend to this cost and delay, otherwise why would we buy it at first place.
Koreans understand the Kiev class carriers very well, since Korea bought two and did a full tear down study on them.

Had India come to Korea, Koreans would have built basically the same thing as the Admiral Gorshkov(aka Vikramaditya) for same money.

My best guess in IN may be going for Korean Dodko class assault ships.

Koreans realized Dokdo class was a mistake. Two follow-up ships look more like the Mistral, also built by the Korean shipyard STX in France.

More like this will become the preferred way of acquiring warships for India from now on.

Had Indian defense ministry come to Korea for a carrier, then they could have had a brand new carrier for the same money spent on Vikramaditya sooner.

At least the Indian Navy will have "Better than what Chinese have" warships in 5 years.

I agree. India needs some more floating coffins like the Cheonan with its 40% survival rate.

Looks India is in an increased arms race with China, and some other in the region.

Looks India is in an increased arms race with China, and some other in the region.

India operated ACC's and nuclear submarine from ages and has had a decently strong navy - very few countries have a Naval heritage and India is one of them. So it's not a new phenomena, China or no China we would have had a strong Navy any ways.

Our shipyards are full with orders. Around 50 ships to be built for IN. We need more shipyards and Korean have great ship building industry. So this JV will help to reduce the time and produce more with efficiency.

We need more technologies in India and upgrade our capacities and also bring in private players. This all has to be done and Korea being the most advanced shipbuilder can act as a catalyst.

It's a really bold initiative taken by GOI, SK has the biggest ship building industry in the world & utilizing it's expertise in it's indigenous ship building industry is the way to go. Indian public sector shipyards are full to capacity & private shipyards are still understanding the complexities involved in defence shipbuilding industry. Even though the current order book of public shipyards stand around 50 ships, still IN is short of nos. to form a formidable blue water navy, 134 ships against the sanctioned strength of 160 ships. Pls see the link for more info:

Broadsword: Unions stall private sector entry into warship building

+ I really liked the way Indian foreign policy has changed with the changing times, now we have friends in every corner of the world & SK is just another example of the changed view of India towards the world & vice-versa.

We don't buy anymore Russian subs mate, the only ships we are buying from Russia are the Talwar class frigates, whose count up till now is 9 & not to forget, now world famous - INS Vikramaditya :D. After all these 9 + 1 are delivered, i don't think we will go for any more ships from a foreign country & will make all ships & subs indigenously.

one with Korea NO.1 in Universe ideological coming~~~~~catch up India on space ability first then talking about "GN style" and seen one entertainment thing as proud, then proud of pickle as "dish".......more one should proud is your big confidence

Are you drunk mate? :lol:

Leave them alone xuxu, in their fairy tales where India can built anything as long as someone is there to help (Build it in India for them)

You really shouldnt be bashing on India when your country cant do anything, and is listed as a failed state. You might wanna fix that first.

BTW really good initiative by India. Yes we should partner with South Korea more. Samsung, Daewoo etc have a pretty huge ship building industry in Korea, and they are quite experienced in this sort of thing. Plus, this will bring in FDI in manufacturing (ship building is manufacturing I guess), create jobs AND most importantly bring in a private player!! This will also serve as a good opportunity to implement modern methods in making ships and such and learn from the experience.

LHD is for Mistrals. Koreans are purposefully given Minesweepers worth $1 Billion to tie them into Defence.

Back
Top Bottom