What's new

India asked American tourists on 'conversion drive'to leave

Status
Not open for further replies.
a month back, I guess... some indian started a thread, saying that you can be a muslim/jew/christian while still being hindu.

so whats the fuss about it, they may convert to other religions and you may still think of them as hindus ? win win situation ? no ?:cheers:

To understand the problem, you have to put yourself in "the poor man's shoes". Imagine an American comes to you and dangles all this food, medicine etc in your face and tells you you can have it all if and only if you subscribe to their views. You'd be stuck between a rock and a hard place. Can you really call this willful conversion?

The Area where the conversion happend is not a tribal area it is in a coastal area of a town (city), i do not have objection in any one practicing any religion that suits him, but my objection is only against taking advantages of others situation let it be economical, political etc...

.instead of asking them to change religion

The fact that people are changing there religion, clearly shows that they are not happy as beng Hindu's....so what is your problem, its none of your business.

It is, but here we are discussing a complex issue. Personal freedom is often regarded as an act with limitation and not exploitation. Everyone has equal rights...but sometimes society looks at this in a different way. Its like the current "Rape" ration increased coz women are wearing more revealing clothes. Here personal freedom collides with conservative beliefs.

Should we ban western clothing or should we ask people to stop thinking like this....Both are faces of freedom.

Now how it relates to this issue is this. You attract someone buy showing them money to you religion, not by serving them or actually helping them come out of their misery( Like Mother teresa did). So why money, give something else?

I like sweets, I give you sweets and then ask you what you to do what I want...simple.

You are twisting words. the individuals who are grown up and want to convert to Christianity for food, and money or better social status are in NO way exploiting anyone else.

The main point here is people are converting out of their free will not at GUN point.

infact those who are stopping these people from converting are forcing them

Sp lets stay as converts and encourage it, shall we not?

No bhai, I am against conversion too, when it is made by luring poor people. I am just opposed to religious organisations who promote their own agenda & dont do anything to improve the lives of people.

No wonder Hinduism is considered as a peaceful and flexible religion .

Yes very peaceful..but if memory serves me correct didn't the Gujarat transpire because of Hindu extremists...so not so peaceful and flexible as you claim. But obviously that section of society doesn't represent ever one, but don't claim Hinduism is the only peaceful religion.

To understand the problem, you have to put yourself in "the poor man's shoes". Imagine an American comes to you and dangles all this food, medicine etc in your face and tells you you can have it all if and only if you subscribe to their views. You'd be stuck between a rock and a hard place. Can you really call this willful conversion?

its not at gun point. its instigating, tempting and attractive way of selling your product...on the other hand cannot force them not to accept it since religion is a personal matter in India. or is claimed to be.

Why do want to feed only hindus , when there are thousands of christians starving in this country, why are they not helping them. In kerala there is no cases of deaths from starvation

I am just opposed to religious organisations who promote their own agenda & dont do anything to improve the lives of people.

If a person wants to change his religion then its up to him....you can't stop his decision, otherwise India is not as secular as we are led to believe. This is not trolling but clearly showing the hypocrisy of your statement.

American tourists on 'conversion drive' asked to leave
T RamavarmanT Ramavarman, TNN | Jun 14, 2011, 04.27pm IST

KOCHI: The fear of proselytization by Christian missionaries has gripped the southern most state Kerala yet again. Three US women tourists were asked to leave the country following complaints that they along with the local pastors were trying to convert "poor families" to Christianity in the coastal area of Alappuzha district in Kerala.

However, the state police said that the three tourists were asked to quit because they had violated the tourist visa rules by trying to attend organized group activities and meetings. The Circle Inspector (CI) of Police J Santhoshkumar who is investigating the case told the TOI that the three women - Shelly Louise Deeds (50) a nurse in Pennsylvania, her daughter Katelyn Heather Deeds (15) and Diane Gean Harrington, a teacher at Wisconsin had arrived here about 15 days ago, and their tourist visas were valid till November this year.

However, the activists of some Hindu organisations complained to the police that the three were trying to convert the poor people by offering them material inducements. ``They were targeting the poor families in the coastal area and were trying to convert them with several offers.

The area had significant Hindu and Muslim population while only some recent converts were part of the Christian community. The pastors and foreigners were trying to influence the local people through the new converts. They had visited several houses in the area and conducted prayer sessions,'' RSS Taluk office-bearer Raghu said.The proposed prayer sessions by the local pastors and the tourists created a commotion in the area and the right-wing Hindu organizations threatened to launch a protest.

``We have not received any evidence to indicate the three US women were engaged in conversion-related activities. However, they were about to attend religious prayers session. They have come on visit visas and the law of the land doesn't permit them to attend any organized meeting or group activities including the prayer sessions. We were not clear about their intentions.That is why we asked them to leave the country, and they agreed. There is no deportation involved. They are now waiting for their return tickets,'' the district SP Asok Kumar said.

The police sources said they are gathering the details of the activities of the three pastors Sabu (47), Jacob (34) and James (45) from Kottayam district. The police said the US Embassy India had also been informed about the incident.

American tourists on 'conversion drive' asked to leave - The Times of India

Good Step!!!

Now stop the likes of Zakir Naiks as well!

The fact that people are changing there religion, clearly shows that they are not happy as beng Hindu's....so what is your problem, its none of your business.

Actually its more to do with better opportunities of living more than the religion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom