What's new

IAF- New Airbase Near China Opened Today

Join

BANNED
Reaction score
Aircraft start using IAF base near China border

NEW DELHI - The Indian Air Force (IAF) Friday opened a landing ground near the China border to fixed wing aircraft, and the first plane to land was an AN-32 carrying two senior IAF and army officers.

The Nyoma Advanced Landing Ground in Ladakh in Jammu and Kashmir was until now being used only by helicopters. Nyoma is 23 km from the border.

At 6.25 a.m., Group Captain S.C. Chafekar touched down on the airstrip, 13,300 feet above sea level, with Western Air Command chief Air Marshal N.A.K. Browne and Indian Army Northern Command chief Lieutenant General P.C. Bharadwaj on board.

Helicopters have been landing here, but this is for the first time that a fixed wing aircraft has landed, an IAF spokesperson said.

The development coincides with reports of Chinese border intrusions. China and India have denied this.

The IAF officer said that it was decided to develop Nyoma for fixed wing operations as well after exhaustive aerial and ground surveys.

The task of developing the landing ground to the standards required for fixed wing aircraft was undertaken by the Engineers Regiment of 14 Corps.

Friday’s successful landing marks the culmination of joint effort by the IAF and Indian Army to enable the air force to operate in the inhospitable terrain of Leh-Ladakh region in support of the army, the IAF spokesperson added.

Nyoma has been developed to connect the remote areas of Ladakh region to the mainland.

This (air strip) will ensure that movements in the area continue when the road traffic gets affected during the harsh winters,” he added.

It will also improve communication network in the region and facilitate the economical ferrying of supplies besides promoting tourism.

The landing comes just 15 months after an AN-32 landed at the Daulat-Beg-Oldie (DBO), the highest airfield in the world situated at an altitude of 16,200 feet, also in Ladakh region.

The IAF has been upgrading and refurbishing Advanced Landing Grounds along the border with China. India and China fought a war in 1962.

It all comes down to this simple fact:

"A thief must sleep with one eye open!" :woot:

Thats the problem with you guys, you replace your sense of reasoning with silly jibes. Probably due to ignorance or utter bias. I would go with the latter. China cannot be trusted. Its a big bully. And that is what it is exactly doing with India right now. However, Its just the big boy bad boy tactic that it is using for the moment, it is waiting and watching for India to make its move. All I can say is thank you China, because this has awakened India. All said and done, history has proven before, Goliath is not necessarily the winner

I personally am not impressed with these token achievements by India. It would take more than this to lock China. What were we doing since 62. Do we always have to wait till the end. Okay, let me give India some leeway, the past was not so threatening. But today you have very potent contenders on both your shoulders. India should not sleep, India should be alert at all times. India should build up. India should not rest. If we can take on the Pakistanis we can take on China. (enjoy the compliment Pakistan) by default...or whatever

I personally am not impressed with these token achievements by India. It would take more than this to lock China. What were we doing since 62. Do we always have to wait till the end. Okay, let me give India some leeway, the past was not so threatening. But today you have very potent contenders on both your shoulders. India should not sleep, India should be alert at all times. India should build up. India should not rest. If we can take on the Pakistanis we can take on China. (enjoy the compliment Pakistan) by default...or whatever

Sir india did huge mistakes in past but now india been woke up by china. It will take 3 years to our infrastructure to get ready. Work is going on at rapid pace. What india need now is more latest weapons. Am sure mr chidambaram when met america he might have whispered in america's ears that india need more weapons. He did discussed pak-china agression with usa. Although its not clear what he did say but just after his meeting with usa they allowed to sell hawkeye. We need something for our army now sir.

Sir india did huge mistakes in past but now india been woke up by china. It will take 3 years to our infrastructure to get ready. Work is going on at rapid pace. What india need now is more latest weapons. Am sure mr chidambaram when met america he might have whispered in america's ears that india need more weapons. He did discussed pak-china agression with usa. Although its not clear what he did say but just after his meeting with usa they allowed to sell hawkeye. We need something for our army now sir.

We are sir, The first batch of F-INSAS will be ready by 2012, The T-90 BHISHMA production has been increased and ofcourse Arjun is In large scale.... Another heavy vehcle factory planning to be built up, BOLT is inducted. What elce needed as of now... We have many projects coming aswell

Last edited:
i think we are over-reacting a bit. dont u think?

^^ those tanks look gorgeous by the way.

Back
Top Bottom