What's new

IAF for new assault rifle

selvan33

Reaction score
Country
India

The Indian Air Force is looking for a modern assault rifle for its special units (Garud), that should be compact, foldable, easy to carry, handle, operate, simple to maintain and with high range. The requirement joins a raft of tenders already active for other weapons including assault rifles for the Army, sniper rifles for special units (including the MARCOS), 9mm small arms for the Army, etc.

The Army is also in the process of replacing the INSAS rifle in service. The Garud Commando Force of the IAF currently operates with the INSAS and AK-47, and the new tender appears to be a move towards replacing those arms with new generation weapons in line with the other two special units of the other two services. The procurement of new small arms for the Indian forces is also in line with the overarching doctrinal move towards lighter, smaller arms with modular architecture allowing a greater number of accessories and easier storage, less maintenance (with possibility of simple on-field maintenance) and part replacement.

IAF for new assault rifle | idrw.org

The Indian Air Force is looking for a modern assault rifle for its special units (Garud), that should be compact, foldable, easy to carry, handle, operate, simple to maintain and with high range. The requirement joins a raft of tenders already active for other weapons including assault rifles for the Army, sniper rifles for special units (including the MARCOS), 9mm small arms for the Army, etc.

The Army is also in the process of replacing the INSAS rifle in service. The Garud Commando Force of the IAF currently operates with the INSAS and AK-47, and the new tender appears to be a move towards replacing those arms with new generation weapons in line with the other two special units of the other two services. The procurement of new small arms for the Indian forces is also in line with the overarching doctrinal move towards lighter, smaller arms with modular architecture allowing a greater number of accessories and easier storage, less maintenance (with possibility of simple on-field maintenance) and part replacement.

IAF for new assault rifle | idrw.org

I highly doubt this is for the Garuds- they already operate the TAR-21,CTAR-21 and GTAR-21. I'd assume this is for all the IAF personnel who currently use the INSAS ie MPs, ERTs etc

Garuds and their Tavors:

wednesdaycommandospecial-servicesairforceggunassault-riflewordlessabc.jpg

Garud-Commandos-Indian-Air-Force-IAF-01.jpg

DSC00075.JPG

Why don't the Indians just make an assault rifle of their own? They've already shown that they have the capability.

To me, it doesn't make sense to buy from a foreign market when you could easily do it yourself.

Why don't the Indians just make an assault rifle of their own? They've already shown that they have the capability.

To me, it doesn't make sense to buy from a foreign market when you could easily do it yourself.
The DRDO is developing a Multi-Cal for the IA's F-INSAS project but this is to equip 1.2++ million troops which will take the best part of a decade when deliveries being in late 2014 or early 2015. The IAF clearly wants something sooner than that and their needs are pretty small relative to the IA's so why not go for a foreign buy? Even the US with the largest arms industery on the planet buys foreign small arms from assault rifles to pistols to shotguns.

DRDO's multi-cal BTW:

futureinsasrifle.jpg

The DRDO is developing a Multi-Cal for the IA's F-INSAS project but this is to equip 1.2++ million troops which will take the best part of a decade when deliveries being in late 2014 or early 2015. The IAF clearly wants something sooner than that and their needs are pretty small relative to the IA's so why not go for a foreign buy? Even the US with the largest arms industery on the planet buys foreign small arms from assault rifles to pistols to shotguns.

DRDO's multi-cal BTW:

futureinsasrifle.jpg

But the US usually buys them for police units, not military units.

Still, I see your point, and I stand corrected.

But the US usually buys them for police units, not military units.

Still, I see your point, and I stand corrected.

Hardly bro- their SOFs use the HK 416- a GERMAN rifle, their standard issue shotgun is the Benelli M4- an ITALIAN shotgun, their standard issue side arm (for their army anyway), the M9, is effectively the Beretta 92- an ITALIAN pistol!

Would be a bullpop,like Styer Aug or Tavor. PAF's spec ops units,use FN-2000 and FN-P90.

Would be a bullpop,like Styer Aug or Tavor. PAF's spec ops units,use FN-2000 and FN-P90.

Not necessarily sir. Like I said in post #2 the IAF's SFs already use the Tavor, but that doesn't mean this assault rifle tender to be used by the general IAF personnel will necessarily be a bullpup-what makes you say that?

Hardly bro- their SOFs use the HK 416- a GERMAN rifle, their standard issue shotgun is the Benelli M4- an ITALIAN shotgun, their standard issue side arm (for their army anyway), the M9, is effectively the Beretta 92- an ITALIAN pistol!

But all of them are licensed and went up against US made rifles, where as the Indian rifle is being picked without any sort of competition.

I highly doubt this is for the Garuds- they already operate the TAR-21,CTAR-21 and GTAR-21. I'd assume this is for all the IAF personnel who currently use the INSAS ie MPs, ERTs etc

Garuds and their Tavors:

wednesdaycommandospecial-servicesairforceggunassault-riflewordlessabc.jpg

Garud-Commandos-Indian-Air-Force-IAF-01.jpg

DSC00075.JPG

Why they not covering their faces Mr. Abingdonboy ?

Why they not covering their faces Mr. Abingdonboy ?

For the same reason USAF Pararescuemen and AFSOC don't cover their faces- they don't need to! They're not the kind of SOF that needs to- they will very rarely conduct any sort of CT op, their primary roles are strategic base protection, CSAR, FAC etc

@abingdongboy

Just speculation,considering the tavor is already fielded,it ma not be wise to opt for too many different weapons as it becomes a training and maintainance nightmare.

The description above gives a hint of a bullpop design. The are pretty stable weapons, very accurate and easy to handel too.

If any non bullpop design,i may choose,it would be HK-416.M4 is trash, FN-SCAR is still unproven and overly hyped. Sig 556 is deployed in short numbers with SSG and they aren't bad ones to carry either.

For bullpop i'd go with Aug A3 instead of Tevor and. FN-2000.

For the same reason USAF Pararescuemen and AFSOC don't cover their faces- they don't need to! They're not the kind of SOF that needs to- they will very rarely conduct any sort of CT op, their primary roles are strategic base protection, CSAR, FAC etc

So now why should SSG guys wear masks??
If u know what i mean:lol:

@abingdongboy

Just speculation,considering the tavor is already fielded,it ma not be wise to opt for too many different weapons as it becomes a training and maintainance nightmare.

The description above gives a hint of a bullpop design. The are pretty stable weapons, very accurate and easy to handel too.

If any non bullpop design,i may choose,it would be HK-416.M4 is trash, FN-SCAR is still unproven and overly hyped. Sig 556 is deployed in short numbers with SSG and they aren't bad ones to carry either.

For bullpop i'd go with Aug A3 instead of Tevor and. FN-2000.
Sig 556 looks more of G3 then a new weapon.

But all of them are licensed and went up against US made rifles, where as the Indian rifle is being picked without any sort of competition.

Dude now we're getting onto another line of conversation. Initially you asked why the Indians didn't make their own rifles when they have shown they can do it. Now you are asking another, separate, question.

FYI the IA has a separate,ongoing, competition for ~50,000 ARs and 65,000 CQB weapons from foreign companies with these guys in the fray:

CZ 805
1cz805bren.jpg

ARX-160
beretta-arx160-556mm.jpg

COLT CM901 Multi-Cal
CM901.jpg

One of these will be picked this year (2013), will be delivered in early-mid 2014 to go to certain select units (Airborne brigades,RR etc- NOT SF though). The winning rifle will be coming with full ToT so that there will be licence production in India.

Basically if the DRDO's Multi-cal doesn't make the IA's standard then they will simply adopt the foreign rifle as the standard issue rifle for the entire IA and roll-out 1,000,000+ in India under licence. So effectively the DRDO's Multi-cal is going up in a competition against another rifle.

Dude now we're getting onto another line of conversation. Initially you asked why the Indians didn't make their own rifles when they have shown they can do it. Now you are asking another, separate, question.

FYI the IA has a separate,ongoing, competition for ~50,000 ARs and 65,000 CQB weapons from foreign companies with these guys in the fray:

CZ 805
1cz805bren.jpg

ARX-160
beretta-arx160-556mm.jpg

COLT CM901 Multi-Cal
CM901.jpg

One of these will be picked this year (2013), will be delivered in early-mid 2014 to go to certain select units (Airborne brigades,RR etc- NOT SF though). The winning rifle will be coming with full ToT so that there will be licence production in India.

Basically if the DRDO's Multi-cal doesn't make the IA's standard then they will simply adopt the foreign rifle as the standard issue rifle for the entire IA and roll-out 1,000,000+ in India under licence. So effectively the DRDO's Multi-cal is going up in a competition against another rifle.

Right, that makes sense, thanks for the info :)

Back
Top Bottom