What's new

IAF Announces Requirement For 9 COMJAM/SIGINT Aircraft

Wow. So RAW will be allowed to use these to gather intelligence info? :chilli:

That's great!

Do you seriously think these are being bought for IAF... IAF is just the front to buy and will provide the manpower to fly.
RAW already flies planes of these kinds and a system like ASTOR will enhance their capabilities even more...

i don't think there is any reason why DRDO cannot make these systems atop embraer T-145 jets.They already have developed key EW suites for the indegenous AEWCS project,and here they can tie up with TATA SED amd Elbit systems and make their own..those systems would be extremely cheap compared to these and hence IAF can induct them in large numbers

i don't think there is any reason why DRDO cannot make these systems atop embraer T-145 jets.They already have developed key EW suites for the indegenous AEWCS project,and here they can tie up with TATA SED amd Elbit systems and make their own..those systems would be extremely cheap compared to these and hence IAF can induct them in large numbers
do not drag DRDO into this.they have a habit of promising thing but not keeping to deadlines.

These jets are for RAW's ARC and NRTO, the IAF is merely the named procurer of the system (for security reasons) and will most likely carry out training of ARC's own pilots (as has been done in the past for ARC assets) and maintenance of the fleet.

The IAF, however, has a completely separate project going for 4 SIGNIT/battle surveillance a/c of their own.

RAW already operates good SIGINT and ELINT aircrafts specially IAI built Gulfstream. I hope IAF will go for Israeli or European tech with lots of contributions from DRDO.

RAW already operates good SIGINT and ELINT aircrafts specially IAI built Gulfstream. I hope IAF will go for Israeli or European tech with lots of contributions from DRDO.

RAW ARC's fleet is about 4-5 years old and anyway intel agencies have been given much wider remits and greater funding these days so they need to expand capacity these 9 state of the art machines will do so. Additionally with NRTO now in the mix their is now a yet greater demand for ARC's assets.

The IAF has a separate tender for 4 (plus 6 option) Battle surveillance/EW/SIGNIT a/c for their own needs, in this case IAF is not the intended operator but a front for ARC look at my above post ^^^.

wiki says £954m (for a fleet of 5 aircraft plus 8 vehicle-based ground stations)..thats damn costly.
Yeah its costly but there's alot stuff inside this. There's no doubt if India makes it, it will be cheaper and all these systems are available with Israeli and european companies and few of the equipment we can even get from US companies. In short India can make such an aircraft but IAF will have to define what they want and the number of aircrafts should be sufficient so as to bring down the cost.

Do you seriously think these are being bought for IAF... IAF is just the front to buy and will provide the manpower to fly.
RAW already flies planes of these kinds and a system like ASTOR will enhance their capabilities even more...
No whoever thinks that these 9 aircrafts will be used by RAW or IB or NTRO are wrong. They don't need to acquire aircrafts this way. Israelis are offering everything to them, if they want they can purchase directly and nobody will say no.
Just like intelligence agencies armed forces also have their intelligence wings. During war time they became the major source of information. During peacetime also there intelligence wing is always active, IAF's intelligence wing can make use of these aircrafts during peacetime and can share information with everyone.
I think presently there are few UAVs and sensors which are lying in some dark corner in RAW facilities. I don't think they have the need to purchase these kind of aircrafts in this way, they should first operationalize those unused systems.

Sir, these are already in our possession. Israelis have given them to us long ago.
scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

Yeah its costly but there's alot stuff inside this. There's no doubt if India makes it, it will be cheaper and all these systems are available with Israeli and european companies and few of the equipment we can even get from US companies. In short India can make such an aircraft but IAF will have to define what they want and the number of aircrafts should be sufficient so as to bring down the cost.

No whoever thinks that these 9 aircrafts will be used by RAW or IB or NTRO are wrong. They don't need to acquire aircrafts this way. Israelis are offering everything to them, if they want they can purchase directly and nobody will say no.
Just like intelligence agencies armed forces also have their intelligence wings. During war time they became the major source of information. During peacetime also there intelligence wing is always active, IAF's intelligence wing can make use of these aircrafts during peacetime and can share information with everyone.
I think presently there are few UAVs and sensors which are lying in some dark corner in RAW facilities. I don't think they have the need to purchase these kind of aircrafts in this way, they should first operationalize those unused systems.

These 9 a/c ARE for RAW ARC, IAF is the procurer and maintener of the tech once in service-this is how ALL ARC's platforms have been procured in the past it is just that in the past IAF (on request of ARC) bought relativly small numbers of 1-2 units on seperate occasions so there was very little attention given to these secretive deals. Also in these cases the deals were govt-govt in the case of Israelis but in this instance this is an open tender for which multiple parties can bid so there is inherently more attention on the deal. The IAF has a complelty SEPARATE requirment for 4 RISTA/Battlefiled surveillance/EW/SIGNIT a/c for their own needs so it is easy to get confused between the two seperate deals- but this deal for 9 is for RAW's ARC no doubt. For all intensive purposes and on paper it will look as though it is the IAF that these birds are for but we know better. Whenever we are lucky enough to catch a rare pic of an ARC SIGNIT/COMJAM a/c you can see it is in the colours of the IAF's communication SQD (white with blue stripe) but there are no offical markings (for eg all IAF transport a/c have "INDIAN AF" written in prominent lettering on both sides of the fuselage) except for the IAF's tail flash which is needed by international law to identify the a/c as of Indian origin.

eg, ARC SIGNIT Gulfstream in Malta, minus many standard markings:

30670_1277144071.jpg

+ btw ARC and NRTO do have such systems already but in small numbers and with India's rise to power the need is to expand intelligence gathering capabilities. NRTO/ARC also have their own UAV contingents but this is a very shady area and not much is known about this.

RAW ARC's fleet is about 4-5 years old and anyway intel agencies have been given much wider remits and greater funding these days so they need to expand capacity these 9 state of the art machines will do so. Additionally with NRTO now in the mix their is now a yet greater demand for ARC's assets.

The IAF has a separate tender for 4 (plus 6 option) Battle surveillance/EW/SIGNIT a/c for their own needs, in this case IAF is not the intended operator but a front for ARC look at my above post ^^^.

As our HUMINT, ELINT, COMINT, SIGINT, IMINT and all other ...INT has been spread across forces and intel agencies and they are getting new systems every year, it is very important to have an central command and control network distribution and sharing of data. India has been always bad in inter force communication forget about intel agencies. GoI should look into it.

Excellent find Abingdonboy, WAS LOOKING FOR THE IMAGE. This is operated by RAW.

Sir, these are already in our possession. Israelis have given them to us long ago.
scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

Mate is this in India?

Can anyone detail the capabilities such aircraft would give india. SIGNIT isnt my strong point

According to NATO...SIGINT is...

* A category of intelligence comprising either individually or in combination all communications intelligence (COMINT), electronic intelligence (ELINT), and Foreign instrumentation signals intelligence, however transmitted.

* Intelligence derived from communications, electronic, and foreign instrumentation signals.

In simple words... Signals intelligence (SIGINT) is intelligence-gathering by interception of signals.

SIGNIT isnt my strong point
Are you good enough in other intelligence-gathering technologies? lol

Are you good enough in other intelligence-gathering technologies? lol

well, actually, i have no damn clue. Armoured vehicles and small arms is what i'm really interested in. I would like to learn more about intellegence-gathering technologies though.

Back
Top Bottom