What's new

Humanity Assassinated: Ethnic Cleansing of Minorities in Bangladesh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Check the date.Its 2002.

These things are rare in Bangladesh when compared to religious riots in your country.

Yes agreed on some occassions religious fanatics take the extreme route,but they are very rare in Bangladesh.

Tell me does history of Bangladesh show a same incident as Gujrat?NO.

My post was in response to your friend who claimed that there has been no incidence of Hindu temples destroyed In Bangladesh....

Well this thread is dedicated to Atrocities on Minorities by Bangladeshis Muslims......Read on......

yesterday I posted this,regarding declining numbers on the India ethnic thread:

Same old but baseless question.It clearly shows that media propaganda does have effect,in fact a huge one.

In 1961,Hindus were 18.5% of the population.But that is before Bangladesh was born.During 1971,bulk of the refugees fleeing to India was Hindus.Who feared persecution by Pakistan army.

According to Late senator Edward Kenedy,80% of the refugees in India were Hindus.
And according to WHO and UNESCO,there were 10 million refugees in India.So that means nearly 8 million hindus were displaced during 1971 liberation war and around 200000 killed.

After the war,in 1974 the hindu figure was 13.5% of the population in Bangladesh.

Point to be noted here is " % of the population".Now if the population of muslims increased at greater rate,which it did,no wonder the Hindu population % is going to fall.

Besides,many migrated to India.As they had family members there.I am sure ask the Indian members here,you will find some having root in Bangladesh.
Also they migrated because AL govt. of sheikh Mujib benefited through Enemy Property Act.

Now we have 9.2% hindus of total population of Bangladesh.Again the % game comes to play.People start jumping over %,instead of doing simple math.

Now some facts:
Bangladesh does not experience communal riots like India.We find occassionally that one or two small incidents occur.There are fanatics everywhere,but no where near what happens in India.

Hindus are without a doubt educated and well-off group in Bangladesh.On every sphere Hindus are representing,and doing very well.
Though the number of Hindus representing in Bangladesh Army is low,but we do have a number of Hindu major Generals.Besides,I found out not many Hindu Bangladeshis are actually willing to enroll into military.That's just a personal observation based on Hindu friends of mine.

Historically Bengali Muslims and Hindus always lived in harmony and are tolerant towards each other.Except may be for 1947.

So stop reading propaganda and stop spreading propaganda.

Last edited:
^^^^

Wow...if its against India...its a Historical....Ground breaking fact.....that whole world has to know....But if its against Bangladesh...its a propaganda...a Hoax....

No more discussions with such Hippocrates...

My post was in response to your friend who claimed that there has been no incidence of Hindu temples destroyed In Bangladesh....

Well this thread is dedicated to Atrocities on Minorities by Bangladeshis Muslims......Read on......

Except the hardliner fanatic hindus,rest of them would laugh at these things.You people have no idea about the standard of living of Hindu people in Bangladesh.

But in villages hindu people are not so well off,that's mostly because of their own caste system.

I always admit there are some fanatics in our country,just like you have yours.But they are a minority,and are hardly a threat.

On general,hindus and muslims in BD lives in peace.You should visit Bangladesh ASAP if you don't believe my words.

^^^^

Wow...if its against India...its a Historical....Ground breaking fact.....that whole world has to know....But if its against Bangladesh...its a propaganda...a Hoax....

No more discussions with such Hippocrates...

That proves you are here to only flame and nothing more.

Since I am fasting,I am in no mood for fighting with you.If you have some thing constructive to say,please do so,otherwise don't.

Peace.

Except the hardliner fanatic hindus,rest of them would laugh at these things.You people have no idea about the standard of living of Hindu people in Bangladesh.

But in villages hindu people are not so well off,that's mostly because of their own caste system.

I always admit there are some fanatics in our country,just like you have yours.But they are a minority,and are hardly a threat.

On general,hindus and muslims in BD lives in peace.You should visit Bangladesh ASAP if you don't believe my words.

Ohhh...the good old caste system to blame....I read somewhere on a similar thread...."A country's Citizens are its responsibilities" ....I think it only holds good for India ...and other countries can be excused.....

If there is a cast system.....what has Bangladeshi Government done to get rid of that...... Nothing... and Bangladeshis want to blast India for creating Minority and Caste based Quota system for upliftment of General public.
:hitwall:

Last edited:
Fact is, Bangladesh is living hell for all minorities. The state not only condones, but actively participates in the gradual extinction of minorities in this Islamic state

Abuses of Religious Freedom
Bangladesh

Reports of BNP harassment of Hindus, who traditionally vote for the AL, preceded and followed the 2001 election. Reported incidents included killings, rape, looting, and torture. The BNP acknowledged reports of atrocities committed between Muslims and Hindus; but claimed that they were exaggerated. The Home Minister was unable to confirm reports that Hindus had fled the country and insisted that there was no link between religion and the violence. He also dismissed allegations that the BNP was linked to the perpetrators. In 2001, the High Court ordered the Government to investigate and report on attacks on religious minorities and to demonstrate that it was taking adequate steps to protect them. The Government submitted its report to the High Court in 2002. The report claimed that some of the incidents of post-election violence were not connected to communal relations, and that some reports of violence were fabricated or exaggerated. Since then neither the High Court nor the Government has taken further action. There was no religiously related political violence surrounding the Chittagong elections in May.

Since the 2001 elections, religious minorities reportedly have continued to be targeted for attacks, which has led to the requirement for guards to be present at church and temple ceremonies. Reportedly, incidents include killings, rape, torture, attacks on places of worship, destruction of homes, forced evictions, and desecration of items of worship. These claims continued during the period covered by this report. However, many such reports have not been verified independently, and there also has been violence during important Muslim holidays. The Government sometimes has failed to investigate the crimes and prosecute the perpetrators, who are often local gang leaders.

In June 2001, in Baniarchar, Gopalganj District, a bomb exploded inside a Catholic church during Sunday Mass, killing 10 persons and injuring 20 others. The army arrived to investigate approximately 10 hours after the blast. Police detained various persons for questioning, but by the end of the period covered by this report, the police reported no progress on the case. A judicial commission was formed in December 2001 to investigate the bombing. In September 2002, the commission submitted its report to the Government. The commission's report blamed Sheikh Hasina and other AL party members for six of the seven bomb attacks that occurred in 1999, 2000, and 2001, including the June 2001 attack. However, two of the three commission members dissented, alleging that the head of the commission, Judge Abdul Bari Sarkar, had inserted his personal views in the final report. During the period covered by this report, the Government took no further action on the basis of the 2002 commission report, and the police were not pursuing the case actively.

In 2002, a Buddhist monk, Ganojyoti Mohasthobir, was killed at a Buddhist temple and orphanage at Rauzan in Chittagong. According to media reports, his killing was related to a land dispute. Then former Home Minister and Foreign Minister visited the temple after the killing. They assured the public that the incident would be investigated properly and that those involved would be brought to trial. Police subsequently apprehended three of the seven suspected in the killing. At the end of the period covered by this report, seven individuals had been convicted and given the death sentence. The convicted had appeals pending in the High Court.

In 2003, 11 members of a Hindu family burned to death after assailants set fire to their home near the port city of Chittagong. BDG officials ascribed the crime to robbers following a failed robbery attempt, but the opposition Awami League alleged that BNP members attacked the family as part of a local anti-Hindu cleansing effort. A local human rights NGO claimed that the attack was a planned assault on the family because of its Hindu faith. Government ministers visited the home within a few days of the incident and promised action against the perpetrators. Within a month of the attack police arrested 5 persons, 3 of whom confessed to the magistrate and claimed that 14 persons were involved in what they said was an attempted robbery. At the conclusion of the period covered by this report, police have submitted their investigations to court twice but the Public Prosecutor has declared the investigations "faulty," so a third round of investigation was in process.

On February 27, 2004, Humayun Azad, a Dhaka University professor and writer, sustained serious injuries when unidentified assailants stabbed him near campus. Azad, known for his criticism of Islamic fundamentalism, publicly blamed the attack on Muslim extremists. The Government provided Azad with medical treatment in Dhaka and later, at its expense, in Thailand, but at the end of the period covered by this report, the police investigation into the attack had not identified the assailants. Azad died of an apparent heart attack in Germany on August 13, 2004, and were no new developments in his case.

Feminist author Taslima Nasreen remained abroad during the period covered by this report, while criminal charges were pending against her for allegedly insulting the religious beliefs of the country's Muslims. In May 2002, the Government banned one of her books, a sequel to an earlier novel that also was banned for being "anti-Islamic." In October 2002, a court sentenced Nasreen, in absentia, to a year in jail for her "derogatory remarks about Islam," in a case filed by a local Jamaat-e-Islami leader in 1999. In November 2003, a Dhaka court banned the sale or distribution of Nasreen's latest book, "Ka," an account of Nasreen's relationships with local intellectuals, in response to a defamation suit filed by a local writer; however, "Ka" was sold openly on street corners after the ban.

There were several bombings in 2004 and one in 2005, on February 20, at Muslim shrines in the Sylhet area. On May 21, 2004, the British High Commissioner was seriously injured by an explosion as he visited the Shahjalal Shrine.

Forced Religious Conversion

There were no reports of forced religious conversion, including of minor U.S. citizens who had been abducted or illegally removed from the United States, or of the refusal to allow such citizens to be returned to the United States.

Abuses by Terrorist Organizations

There were no reported abuses targeted at specific religions by terrorist organizations during the period covered by this report. On February 15 and 16, firebomb attacks on two social development NGOs, which extremists viewed as "un-Islamic," left at least eight workers injured. On February 23, the Government banned two Islamic extremist groups, Jammat ul Mujaheedin (JM) and the Jagrato Muslim Janata Bangaldesh (JMJB), for their alleged complicity. There were no reports that either group targeted non-Muslims or Ahmadis.

Improvement and Positive Developments in Respect for Religious Freedom

Following demands by the Islami Okiyya Jote, an Islamist coalition partner of the ruling BNP, that Ahmadi publications be banned and that Ahmadis be declared non-Muslims, the Government announced such a ban on January 8, 2004. However, several days later, the Prime Minister announced the Government would not declare Ahmadis non-Muslims.

In the fourth quarter of 2004, the Government took a more active stance against the International Khatme Nabuwat Movement Bangladesh (IKNMB), which spearheads anti-Ahmadi agitation, stopping two planned marches on the Ahmadiyya headquarters in Dhaka by an effective combination of political pressure and police deployments. At government direction, police in Ahmadiyya communities also became more active in protecting Ahmadis. However, in other cases, police did not stop extremist demonstrators from placing provocative signboards at Ahmadi mosques.

Bangladesh Hindus 'will not go back'
BBC News | SOUTH ASIA | Bangladesh Hindus 'will not go back'

Refugees face an uncertain future in India
By Moazzem Hossain in West Bengal

Hundreds of Bangladeshi Hindu families who have crossed the border into India to escape repression at home are refusing to return to their country.

They are now living with their relatives and friends in the border districts of West Bengal and intend to stay there permanently.

In the frontier town of Bongaon in West Bengal, I found several Bangladeshi Hindu families who fled following last month's general elections.

To escape any possible move by the Indian authorities to send them back, these families were apparently hiding in a village near the Thakurnagar railway station.

All these families have horrific stories to tell.

Dipali Adhikari, who did not give out her real name for fear of reprisals against relatives in Bangladesh, related how she and seven other members of her family had managed to cross the border.

Horrific tales

Several days after the election, a group of armed men entered their house of and looted everything they had.

They poisoned the family's fish pond, the main source of their income.

Then they turned to Dipali pointing a knife at her.

"They demanded 100,000 Taka [$1,770] as the fee if we wanted to live in that village," she said.

"Otherwise, they threatened me, we had to leave the country".

Some families have broken up
"It was not just me, other Hindu families in our village too were subjected to similar torture."

"We also heard stories of Hindu women being raped and murdered by armed hoodlums in neighbouring villages" Dipali said.

After this incident, Dipali's family decided to migrate to India.

They contacted a man in the border area who arranged their safe passage to India in exchange of money.

We ran through jungles and over ditches the whole night and didn't stop until we crossed the border

Dipali left behind her old parents to look after their ancestral home.

Mita Rani Roy was not so lucky.

I met Mita in a village in Malda, in northern West Bengal.

Mita Rani fled her home carrying her one-year old baby with a group of Hindu families when their village came under attack at midnight.

"We ran through jungles and over ditches the whole night and didn't stop until we crossed the border", Mita said.

Her husband Anil Chandra Roy was not at home the day Mita fled the country.

"I have lost contact with my husband since then."

Refugee children don't know what to expect
"I don't know if he knows that we are in India."

Neither Dipali nor Mita Rani wants to return to Bangladesh after their horrifying experience since the government of Prime Minister Khaleda Zia came to power in Bangladesh.

Political divisions

In Bangladesh, Hindus are generally perceived as supporters of the Awami League party of former Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina.

Hindus believe the League holds secular ideals.

Shiekh Hasina's party experienced a humiliating defeat in the elections and she accused her opponents of rigging the polls and intimidating minority voters.

Since the elections, many reports of widespread violence against the Hindu community and destruction of their property have appeared in the Bangladeshi press.

Back in Bangladesh, I visited Dipali's village in the southern Bagerhat district, where her parents are among the few remaining inhabitants.

The Hindu-majority village looked deserted.

Dipali's father Ganesh Boiragi told me nearly half of the 250 families in the village had left for unknown destination.

Mr Boiragi said he also intended to leave the country as Hindus were no longer safe in that area.

There are confusing reports of the number of Hindus who have left Bangladesh since the elections.

Bangladesh Refugee Welfare Council, a Calcutta- based group representing Bangladeshi Hindu immigrants in India, claims nearly 100,000 people entered India over the last month-and-a-half.

The Council's Secretary, Bimal Majumdar, says many Bangaldeshi Hindus conceal their identity fearing deportation.

However, West Bengal's Left Front government has dismissed the figures as highly exaggerated.

The Front's Chairman, Biman Bose, says the recent migration of Bangladeshi Hindus to India has not reached that alarming level.

"But whatever is the case, we have requested the government to take up the issue with Bangladesh to ensure the safety and security for minority Hindus in their country, Mr Bose told the BBC.

The Bangladeshi Government consistently denies any case of Hindu migration to India.

A government inquiry has found most media reports of alleged repression of Hindus as exaggerated.

A senior Bangladeshi minister, Abdul Mannan Bhuiyan, says there was very little truth in what the media have been reporting on the issue.

"In only a few cases have we found instances of repression of minority Hindus."

"In those cases we are taking action against officials who failed to protect the lives of the minorities."

But civil rights groups are unhappy with the way the government is dealing with the issue.

Ain O Salish Kendro, a human rights organisation in Dhaka, has filed a petition in the High Court asking for an independent inquiry of the alleged repression of Hindus.

Ohhh...the good old caste system to blame....I read somewhere on a similar thread...."A country's Citizens are its responsibilities" ....I think it only hold good for India ...and other countries can be excused.....

If there is a cast system.....what has Bangladeshi Government done to get rid of that...... Nothing... and Bangladeshis want to blast India for creating Minority and Caste based Quota system for upliftment of General public.
:hitwall:

India still has caste system isn't it??What is your govt. doing to remove it?....Nothing.

‘It is a war against the Hindus in Bangladesh’
‘It is a war against the Hindus in Bangladesh’
Press Trust of India
Posted online: Wednesday, November 07, 2001 at 1308 hours IST
Updated: , hours IST

Habra, West Bengal, November 7: Thousands of Hindu migrants are crossing the Indo-Bangladesh border near Habra - risking their lives, leaving everything including their near and dear ones behind - to save themselves from large-scale attacks on minorities in Bangladesh.

"The true picture is not known to the outside world. It is a free for all so far it goes to torturing minority Hindus. Women and property are the prime targets - hundreds of Hindu women are hospitalised, many were killed after being raped," Bidhu Bhusan Das, one of the migrants from Barishal, who fled leaving behind his relatives said.

The local municipality pretends ignorance as do the police and the administration, but the migrants are moving in daily via Hakimpur, Bongaon (Petrapole) borders and dispersing to districts like Bardhaman and Midnapore - even to far off places like the Andamans via Kolkata.

"It is a war against the Hindus. Awami League could not protect us, even worse, they are now joining hands with Bangladesh Nationalist Party cadres with the sole aim to butcher Hindu minorities," a group of migrants from Barishal and Bhola districts of Bangladesh, who have taken shelter in this town, 12 km from the Hakimpur border, said.

India still has caste system isn't it??What is your govt. doing to remove it?....Nothing.

Yes India has caste system...and ...I would like to add what you don't want to write....Indian Constitution and Indian Government has taken multiple steps to ensure that So called Low caste individuals get their share of national Growth.....they get equal opportunities by way of reservations ....they get more funds allocated to their regions for Government programs.....All religious minorities get their share of national programs.....

Thats Advantage ...caste system for you from India.....

We are not discussing India here...lets talk about Bangladesh...

Do you know how many hindus are part of that "Islamic Party" called BNP??

Certainly not.

Continue with your Google search...all the best.

Stay on topic. This is about the state-sponsored ritualized killing of minorities in BD, not Hindu caste system.

Yes India has caste system...and ...I would like to add what you don't want to write....Indian Constitution and Indian Government has taken multiple steps to ensure that So called Low caste individuals get their share of national Growth.....they get equal opportunities by way of reservations ....they get more funds allocated to their regions for Government programs.....All religious minorities get their share of national programs.....

Thats Advantage ...caste system for you from India.....

We are not discussing India here...lets talk about Bangladesh...

Tell me reality not laws.I know the reality.Its not the fault of Govt. but the fault of human mind.

There are laws everywhere,but tell me about the implication.

Do you know how many hindus are part of that "Islamic Party" called BNP??

Certainly not.

Continue with your Google search...all the best.

Just like BJP in India has Muslim Members.....But you never knew that.....do you...now you go and do some Google search.....all the best..

Stay on topic.. don't derail the thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom