Country
United States
nytlogo110x16.gif

opinion-logo-small.png

OP-ED CONTRIBUTOR
How Palestinian Hate Prevents Peace
By YUVAL STEINITZ
Published: October 15, 2013

JERUSALEM — On Sept. 26, the Palestinian Authority’s president, Mahmoud Abbas, told the United Nations General Assembly that the Palestinians “keep reaching out to the Israelis saying: let us work to make the culture of peace reign.” Honorable sentiments, to be sure, but sadly not free of hypocrisy.

Just after returning from his U.N. speech, Mr. Abbas cleared time to host the celebrated Egyptian poet Hisham al-Gakh, author of a famous hit proclaiming that “our enemy is the fork-tailed Zionist devil.” That evening, Mr. al-Gakh had an opportunity to recite his “lovely” song upon receiving an award from the Palestinian minister of culture.

And in July, the program “Palestine This Morning” featured two sisters reciting a poem referring to “sons of Zion” and “barbaric monkeys” and “wretched pigs.”

These are but a few of the thousands of examples of Palestinian incitement against the Jewish state and the Jewish people. There are even numerous instances of the glorification of Hitler on the Facebook pages of some government-supported Palestinian schools and in children’s publications funded by the Palestinian Authority. Such messages, propagated daily in P.A. media and classrooms, are internalized by the population at large — and children in particular.

Two decades ago, I was a chartered member of Israel’s Peace Now movement and an unabashed supporter of the peace process. Since then, I — and many Israelis like me — have become deeply skeptical about Palestinians’ real intentions. And it’s not only because of the terrorist attacks which have emanated from areas handed over to Palestinian control, but also because of the repeated Palestinian calls for Israel’s destruction. Jewish history has taught us the hard way never to underestimate the power of hatred.

The Palestinian Authority’s television and radio stations, public schools, summer camps, children’s magazines and Web sites are being used to drive home four core messages. First, that the existence of a Jewish state (regardless of its borders) is illegitimate because there is no Jewish people and no Jewish history in this piece of land. Second, that Jews and Zionists are horrible creatures that corrupt those in their vicinity. Third, that Palestinians must continue to struggle until the inevitable replacement of Israel by an Arab-Palestinian state. And fourth, that all forms of resistance are honorable and valid, even if some forms of violence are not always expedient.

Instead of being schooled in the “culture of peace,” the next generation of Palestinians is being relentlessly fed a rhetorical diet that includes the idolization of terrorists, the demonization of Jews and the conviction that sooner or later Israel should cease to exist.

Even after Secretary of State John Kerry’s announcement of the resumption of peace talks, incitement remains prevalent. For example, P.A. television coverage of a “peace visit” to the West Bank’s Hebron district by the famed FC Barcelona soccer team took the trouble to remind viewers that Palestine extends “from Eilat to Rosh Hanikra” — that is, not just the West Bank and Gaza Strip, but the entire land of Israel. This remark was followed by a song performed by Muhammad Assaf, the winner of the popular TV show “Arab Idol.” The lyrics envisioned the “liberation” of Israeli cities such as Haifa, Tiberias and Safed.

The fact that this anti-Israeli and anti-Semitic indoctrination persists, despite the much-touted relaunch of Israeli-Palestinian peace negotiations, constitutes a huge obstacle on the road to peace. It should have disappeared 20 years ago, as a result of a clear Palestinian commitment to end all forms of incitement included in the Oslo Accords. And until it ends, the current round of talks cannot hope to reach a successful outcome.

Progress toward a peace agreement requires that both Palestinians and Israelis foster an environment conducive to productive dialogue. Israel’s anguished decision on July 28 to release over 100 convicted terrorists, as well as to help the Palestinian economy, were a courageous attempt to build trust and improve the atmosphere surrounding the negotiations, and I supported it.

Palestinian leaders must now reciprocate by immediately and fully halting their encouragement and sponsorship of hatred.

If they do not, attempts at renewed diplomacy are doomed to fail, Israelis will become more skeptical about the peace process, and we in the Israeli government will have greater difficulty taking the additional confidence-building steps that we have been considering. Indeed, with each passing day, my colleagues and I will find it more and more problematic to authorize any further release of prisoners.

If Israelis are ever to believe that peace with Palestinians has a chance, the first step Mr. Abbas must take is to swiftly terminate the campaign to delegitimize the Jewish people and its state.

Yuval Steinitz is Israel’s minister of intelligence and international affairs.

It's not at all the colonization and the oppression of the palestinians for their kidneys by the jews

From the liars who send their beheading freedom democrats and give them 4 times air support in Syria and thousands of times in Libya, nothing very surprizing

ocupacion-israelita-en-cisjordania.jpg

Israel never made concessions and bomb the palestinians to have a pretext to bomb them even more when they throw some harmless manufactured rockets

hmmm ^ good question what has Palestine given to the world? I wud like to ask what overall muslim countries contributed to humanity. .. the list is will be very verrrry small and nothing noteworthy.

For one, nobody has to give anything to the world to have the right to be free in one's own land. If you and i have that right doesn't mean the rest shouldn't. And secondly just because you can't accept Muslims as great contributors due to you're own bias doesn't mean its not the case. Nobody asks what you're country has given to the world either and they shouldn't as well because people have the right to be free everywhere.

I don't know why this article is all about the PA, they're buddies with Israel. And a typical opinion article, Solomon you post funny things.

We can post about Israeli hatred as your OP calls it but we aren't lowlife people like you. We'd rather just get over obstacles and be reasonable.

Netanyahu asking Palestinians to make concessions is more than hatred, it's evil. Especially since no 'concessions' were made by Israel. All they did was prevent for now another 15,000 settlements in what they fen recognize as Palestinian territory beyond the green line.

Of course to Israelis it's just 'Judaea and Samaria'. So it wouldn't matter to them they don't see themselves violating anything. And I'm surprised it became so centralized on just the West Bank. We have land beyond that as well.

So Palestinians literally got nothing, Israel made no progress whatsoever they conceded to absolutely nothing and the situation is still as it is. They're occupying more and more land and oppressing the Palestinian people on a daily basis.

The only difference now is that they're asking the Palestinians to make 'concessions'. That's so unbelievable. What kind of sick people behave like that. They should be condemned by the international world.

hmmm ^ good question what has Palestine given to the world? I wud like to ask what overall muslim countries contributed to humanity. .. the list is will be very verrrry small and nothing noteworthy.
Because the zionists block them. JEWS invent nothing even they are free to do what they want.

F15 & F16 are all USA tech

Netanyahu went on CNN the other day and told the viewers it's time to put pressure on the Palestinians to make 'concessions'. Like what? How could an occupied people's make concessions. The onus is on you to make concessions.

He kept complaining about why the world keeps asking only Israel to make concessions even though that's not true, but it's because they ask over and over again and get no results! Nothing is changing, you're just stalling the process implying that you've been working hard for a deal and in the end throw the whole onus on the Palestinians to stall it even further. That's why the world expects some change. In reality though, those key players who can pressure Israel are in the pockets of Jews. They will never care for a real deal.

This is why we need the Muslim world to take a huge role in this process, tell them the West that we're tired of these games played by you. It's time for something serious. Then will we see the real 'West' and it's true intentions. They started this mess in the first place.

@mods

Seems like Mozambique drill is back in new account again.

:lol:

Was about to write it. You were faster than me. I had the suspicion after the first few posts. Not sure what has happened with him. He suddenly went all bonkers.

The author of this thread is also not worthy of wasting your time with. Not since I put him in his place in that famous Palestinian-Israeli debate a few months ago. Since that time he has been silent towards me.

the author is right!

in israhelli dictionary hate = defending rights

love = killing people

good to know

For one, nobody has to give anything to the world to have the right to be free in one's own land. If you and i have that right doesn't mean the rest shouldn't. And secondly just because you can't accept Muslims as great contributors due to you're own bias doesn't mean its not the case. Nobody asks what you're country has given to the world either and they shouldn't as well because people have the right to be free everywhere.

ok lets see ur contributions.

http://youtube/GqRqjzLCcqI

Was about to write it. You were faster than me. I had the suspicion after the first few posts. Not sure what has happened with him. He suddenly went all bonkers.

The author of this thread is also not worthy of wasting your time with. Not since I put him in his place in that famous Palestinian-Israeli debate a few months ago. Since that time he has been silent towards me.

Yeah you couldn't keep your "cousin" under control. :rofl:

Oh...youtube video...excellent. Go back to cleaning toilets.

Indians don't have toilets so I doubt that is his occupation.

@Solomon2 this blaming the victim really pulls no weight, my friend. Israel is the more powerful state and is responsible for imposing much of the restrictions on the Palestinains. So really?

Solomon is a hasbara, so it is literally his job to spread mental farts left and right.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom