What's new

How come Indians don't speak Sanskrit anymore :(?

What a question! The Zeta Reticulan Aliens taught us Sanskrit! They speak this on their planet. You didn't know?
mockery-035.gif
:P

You and Isro2222 are the experts buddy..i have no clue about this.

i can speak and write both..............

It sounds so different to Hindu/Urdu. It's like old Avesta persian

nope , it's Devanagari , if you know any of these indian languages Hindi,Bangali,Marathi,Gujrathi,Panjabi,Bhojpuri,nepali you can understand sanskrit in some amout because all of them are dialect of sanskrit . all of these languages use same alphabet system(near about). :azn:

Thanks to the thread starter.

Over a period of last 2,000 years, Sanskrit got simplified into regional languages, namely what outside people know as "state languages" of India. Barring Urdu, Nagamese and a couple of others, everything else is derived from Sanskrit including my mother tongue and even Tibetan.

Today Sanskrit is alive among enthusiasts and in the Hindu, Buddhist and Jain prayers.

i can speak and write both..............

Me too. :)

In fact, my Denzongkha (my language) is the weakest of my known languages..:lol:.

Over a period of last 2,000 years, Sanskrit got simplified into regional languages, namely what outside people know as "state languages" of India. Barring Urdu, Nagamese and a couple of others, everything else is derived from Sanskrit including my mother tongue and even Tibetan.

Today Sanskrit is alive among enthusiasts and in the Hindu, Buddhist and Jain prayers.

Me too. :)

In fact, my Denzongkha (my language) is the weakest of my known languages..:lol:.

urdu and nagamese are both indo -aryan ,and sanskrit derivatives , nagamese is not even a language juat a dialect with with borrowed words from hindi ,bengoli, assamese and few words from english on top of assamese grammer structure.. barring some tibeto-burman languages almost every modern language spoken in India is sanskrit derivative, i believe.

And

Are you sure about tibetan and your language being sanskrit derivatives becuae i thought they belonged to tibeto burman family?? by the way what is the word for rice (cereal) in your lnguage (Denzongkha)?????

The Proto-Dravidian language family is completely different and has nothing in common from a lineage perspective with Sanskrit, which is a Indo Aryan family language. This family will include, Tamil, Malayalam, Kannada, Telugu.

The Proto-Dravidian language family is completely different and has nothing in common from a lineage perspective with Sanskrit, which is a Indo Aryan family language. This family will include, Tamil, Malayalam, Kannada, Telugu.

Wrong perception consolidated by regionalists and neo-regionalist activists.

I mean while Tamil is largely different in many ways despite similar loan-words from Sanskrit, Malayalam, Telugu and Kannada are big time derived from Sanskrit.

I was quite at ease in Kerala where I could understand some locals who were conversing (relatively slowly compared to their usual speed of the language). And this is without me knowing any proper regional language of our country.

Wrong perception consolidated by regionalists and neo-regionalist activists.

I mean while Tamil is largely different in many ways despite similar loan-words from Sanskrit, Malayalam, Telugu and Kannada are big time derived from Sanskrit.

I was quite at ease in Kerala where I could understand some locals who were conversing (relatively slowly compared to their usual speed of the language). And this is without me knowing any proper regional language of our country.

https://lists.hcs.harvard.edu/mailman/listinfo/proto-dravidian

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dravidian_languages

The verification is done at an academic level by non-regionalists also who have tried to even check if it has anything in common with the iranian group. They found nothing.

If I start speaking in malayalam or tamil with you having no exposure to either language you will not be able to understand. Unless I add words which are common but whose origin are not in the Dravidian group. A person who can understand malayalam will be able to get a grasp over tamil. Same vice versa. But, the minute you start speaking certain dialects of malayalam with a tamilian it becomes difficult to understand. Vice versa holds true.

urdu and nagamese are both indo -aryan ,and sanskrit derivatives , nagamese is not even a language juat a dialect with with borrowed words from hindi ,bengoli, assamese and few words from english on top of assamese grammer structure.. barring some tibeto-burman languages almost every modern language spoken in India is sanskrit derivative, i believe.

I don't know that sure, yaar. TBH I never understood jack in Nagamese when some of my naga buddies would talk.

I can understand better Malayalam and Kannada than Nagamese, due to Sanskrit understanding. :lol:

Are you sure about tibetan and your language being sanskrit derivatives becuae i thought they belonged to tibeto burman family?? by the way what is the word for rice (cereal) in your lnguage (Denzongkha)?????

Come on bro, even Tibetan script and language structure is borrowed from Sanskrit, which is similar case with my own language (same script, grammar and letters).

For rice there's no english comparable phonetic but if I write it, it sounds like 'dlzhong' (I know it sounds totally wrong :P).

Technically the word Denzong itself means "Valley of Rice" aka Sikkim's name. :)

We even use the Nepali word "bhat" as a loan-word at times. It is a common thing in Sikkim.

I am half Tamil and half Malayalam. Have studied Malayalam and I can assure you, the languages I have mentioned have nothing in common from a lineage perspective with sanskrit.

Please check your facts and read up. You could start with origin of Proto Dravidian and the study has nothing to do with regionalists. The verification is done at an academic level by non-regionalists also who have tried to even check if it has anything in common with the iranian group.

But then how come I understand parts of it? :P

I haven't studied anything in south Indian languages and still can understand bits and pieces.

But then how come I understand parts of it? :P

I haven't studied anything in south Indian languages and still can understand bits and pieces.

Borrowed words. A person tunes in to words he recognises and his brain works out rough meanings. Also tries to extrapolate the other words to similar sounding words in one's own language. It's natural.

Or you have a babelfish.

Plz provide source for the bold part, if you have any

Rather it was the British who destroyed most of our ancient libraries n stole many of our formulas n theories:hitwall:

I know what I am talking about. In my days in E Bengal schools, Sanskrit, Pali, Persian, Arabic and Urdu subjects were available for selecting one at lower classes. Although I had taken Arabic plenty of my Hindu friends had taken Sanskrit. Older people of BD are familiar with this language.

Plz provide source for the bold part, if you have any

Rather it was the British who destroyed most of our ancient libraries n stole many of our formulas n theories:hitwall:

British did not destroy anything. German and british indophiles brought Indian culture (and writings in sanskrit) to west.

Back
Top Bottom